Steel target recommendations

Erik88

I'm looking for steel targets that I can stick in the ground and have fun with that aren't too expensive. I see some good options on shootsteel.com but I want to make sure I'm not missing out on something better. 

Also, is 100 yards really the safe minimum for rifle rounds? 

I have bought most of my steel from https://shootingtargets7.com/

They have sales for every holiday including minor ones. They have charts. on the website to tell you what thickness you need for different calibers.

The high velocity rounds you need more distance, 100 yards is probably good. If you angle your targets properly you will not get fragments bouncing back but if you don't have the right targets for what you are shooting you will put some divets in the steel that can cause some unexpected ricochets.  

I have 30 or so steel targets scattered on my range. I color code mine so we shoot what they are intended for. All are good for .22 but .22 specific I have painted red. Some of those I have bought different places when I see a good sale. Next thicker are painted yellow and are good for most handguns and carbines up to 45acp. Green are the thickest and are good for the bigger stuff I own. Part of the reason besides cost for not doing them all thick is they don't ring as well for the lower calibers.

My closest target is about 7-10 yards with a steep enough angle for handguns that they don't throw back scatter. I go out to 30 yards or so for shooting from my deck. I have a shooting stand that I can setup to get out to 60 yards. For shooting bigger stuff I go to the public range. Just don't have a place for a longer range. A neighbor was putting in a 300 yard range and told me I could shoot anytime, then sold his place and with the pandemic have not gotten to know the new owner to see if they are shooters. Another neighbor was going to put in 100-150 yard range then his significant other kicked him out. She might let me build it but not sure I want to put the effort in by myself on someone else's property.

• Thanks 1
On 3/15/2021 at 10:12 PM, Erik88 said:

ORSA has a steel range, goes out to 100 yds, 1st targets at 50 yds I believe? Was there one time with my son, another gentleman came and went down to the other end of the range with something big and fancy looking that made an awesome THUMP when he shot. Think it was 7.62 rifle. My son claimed he got some shrapnel first and I didn't believe him, thought it was a bee sting. Then a few rounds later I felt a sting on my cheek and there was a little blood. We packed up and left quickly.

I dunno if he was banging the 50s, 75s, or 100s, but he was a good 100 feet down the row from us? Heck of a rifle, we stood there watching for a few minutes.

9 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

ORSA has a steel range, goes out to 100 yds, 1st targets at 50 yds I believe? Was there one time with my son, another gentleman came and went down to the other end of the range with something big and fancy looking that made an awesome THUMP when he shot. Think it was 7.62 rifle. My son claimed he got some shrapnel first and I didn't believe him, thought it was a bee sting. Then a few rounds later I felt a sting on my cheek and there was a little blood. We packed up and left quickly.

I dunno if he was banging the 50s, 75s, or 100s, but he was a good 100 feet down the row from us? Heck of a rifle, we stood there watching for a few minutes.

You should have reported that to the RO (range officer).   

10 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

That is one reason I prefer the steel targets I mentioned up above from HangFast. Not that a ricochet is impossible, I guess, but the way that they are angled down towards the ground it goes a long way to preventing shrapnel coming back at the shooter. At least that has been my experience even when doing things relatively close with a handgun. 

Speaking of rounds coming back at you, have you guys seen this video of the .50 BMG round coming back and hitting the guy’s ear pro?

On 3/22/2021 at 8:32 AM, alleycat72 said:

I run ar500 to sight in my thermal. It's fantastic. I just need a moving target now. 

Ropes, pulley, buddy?

Saw a neat drill with a .22 where they let a dozen balloons go in a stream and the shooter was downstream.... current provided plenty of randomization, looked fun!

5 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

Ropes, pulley, buddy?

Saw a neat drill with a .22 where they let a dozen balloons go in a stream and the shooter was downstream.... current provided plenty of randomization, looked fun!

Well, I need a hog sized target moving at hog speed while shooting a 308. I'm thinking zip line with the target at 10° down angle. Problem is spalling hitting the zip line and calibrating the zip line angle for the proper speed that is somewhat steady. I'm thinking a raised edge on front, top, and rear sides. I'd need a quick release that can be activated by the shooter 100 yards away. 

Edited by alleycat72
4 hours ago, alleycat72 said:

Well, I need a hog sized target moving at hog speed while shooting a 308. I'm thinking zip line with the target at 10° down angle. Problem is spalling hitting the zip line and calibrating the zip line angle for the proper speed that is somewhat steady. I'm thinking a raised edge on front, top, and rear sides. I'd need a quick release that can be activated by the shooter 100 yards away. 

You have the land I can build you what you want. Use a motor to pull the target along. Start by remote control, and stop by end of run switch. No need for full steel target,  plywood cut outs with a sweet spot of steel.

On 3/15/2021 at 9:12 PM, Erik88 said:

Safety and life of the target (think force of impact over distance).  In the army, I was in a shooting class run by ex Delta guys, and we were shooting at mechanical LaRue targets (setting up a field of these if I ever hit the lottery 😁).  I took it as an assumed fact these guys knew what they were talking about for range setup purposes.

On 3/23/2021 at 8:21 PM, RED333 said:

You have the land I can build you what you want. Use a motor to pull the target along. Start by remote control, and stop by end of run switch. No need for full steel target,  plywood cut outs with a sweet spot of steel.

What does that cost? 

No,......stop it.....do want...!