Ticks are out!!

8 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I have a friend in the middle part of the state that caught the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever about a year and a half ago. I haven't seen him in a while, but mutual friends tell me that he still hasn't fully recovered. 

One of my friends contracted RMSF last year in the eastern part of the state; he was pretty ill.

Yea folks the stuff that ticks carry can be very bad for us humans. Had a friend get the RMSF years ago and he had a rough time for quite a spell. I wasn't aware of this until a year or two ago, but you can buy Permethrin spray and spray your camping gear, boots, clothes and let it dry. Then you can wash as usual the garments at least a couple of times before the stuff wears off. You can get it at Wally-world in sporting goods or online Amazon. I think the logging guys were the first to use this.

14 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

I'm surprised that they could get through Husky fur.

I know. In 11 years we've only pulled a few off her. Once we feel the tick, it usually takes 5 minutes to separate her coat and actually see it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Alpha Gal  is another tick borne illness. If you like mammal meat then you need to watch out for ticks. Once bitten by a tick that carries Alpha Gal you wont be able to eat mammal meat anymore. My brother is a sucess story. He got Alpha Gal and for over 7 years couldnt eat mamma;l meat at all. The only meats he could eat were fish , poultry and reptiles. After about 7 or 8 years for some unknown reason his "levels" went down to almost nothing and his body kinda reset itself. He can finally eat mammal meat again. 

On 3/16/2021 at 3:11 PM, Dirtshooter said:

Just a reminder to all, keep your eye out for the ticks. Remember Permethrin is your friend.

What about us that can’t use tat stuff, I bought a can of the green can stuff (not sure of the brand) and if I get any on my skin my throat starts closing up. 

22 minutes ago, dralarms said:

What about us that can’t use tat stuff, I bought a can of the green can stuff (not sure of the brand) and if I get any on my skin my throat starts closing up. 

We used to heat the house with a wood stove back when I was growing up and we cut wood in the summer. We'd go deep into a lot of forest cutting wood for the wood stove.  My mom would always preach at us to put some kerosene around our ankles to keep chiggers and ticks off. It worked for me pretty well. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, tercel89 said:

We used to heat the house with a wood stove back when I was growing up and we cut wood in the summer. We'd go deep into a lot of forest cutting wood for the wood stove.  My mom would always preach at us to put some kerosene around our ankles to keep chiggers and ticks off. It worked for me pretty well. 

I see or hear the word chiggers and I start to twitch. PTSD I guess from those things. They are from the devil. I will soak my body in kerosene if I can avoid those creatures from hades. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
On 3/17/2021 at 9:47 AM, Dirtshooter said:

Yea folks the stuff that ticks carry can be very bad for us humans. Had a friend get the RMSF years ago and he had a rough time for quite a spell. I wasn't aware of this until a year or two ago, but you can buy Permethrin spray and spray your camping gear, boots, clothes and let it dry. Then you can wash as usual the garments at least a couple of times before the stuff wears off. You can get it at Wally-world in sporting goods or online Amazon. I think the logging guys were the first to use this.

Permethrin works pretty good. I use a bunch of it as fly spray for cows and horses. Apply with a garden pump sprayer. CoOp sells it in gallon jugs. Now I’ll have to treat my pants and boots. Anything to stop chiggers and ticks. Anything!

On 3/19/2021 at 1:12 PM, Erik88 said:

Pulled a huge tick off my dog last night. Nearly impossible to find in Husky fur.

Link below for a natural dog soap that really works IMO.   We quit using the chemicals collars for our three dogs due to reported health issues.   Link is for a single bar, but they offer it in the multiple bars which brings down the cost per bar.     We just got a case to share with family.        We ran into the family that makes the soap in Lynchburg a number of years ago and been using the soap ever since.    They are out of Pulaski.

https://doggysoap.com/collections/doggy-soap/products/doggy-soap   

Edited by Trekbike
  • Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 12:39 PM, Trekbike said:

Link below for a natural dog soap that really works IMO.   We quit using the chemicals collars for our three dogs due to reported health issues.   Link is for a single bar, but they offer it in the multiple bars which brings down the cost per bar.     We just got a case to share with family.        We ran into the family that makes the soap in Lynchburg a number of years ago and been using the soap ever since.    They are out of Pulaski.

https://doggysoap.com/collections/doggy-soap/products/doggy-soap   

Link says "Sold Out."  I'll keep checking for this. Sounds good for my little gal Molly, and for me on those few outings in the brush around us.