Springfield TRP Operator

res308

Just acquired a Springfield TRP Operator today. Been wanting a TRP for a long time. Still not sure about the rail and bull (ish) barrel with full length guide rod. 

Figured out real quick that I REALLY like the aggressive front strap checkering that I’ve heard folks complain about.

Just wondering who’s had experience with these. Figured I’d try it a while and see if it’s right for me.  

672F21D3-8027-4C5E-8DFC-BC41EF7FECED.jpeg.0edc1dce8cd0a065717e57450e85139b.jpeg

This is a picture I found on the web. Can’t seem to get my actual picture to upload. Says it exceeds the limit. 

• Like 3

Well I have figured one thing out! 

I have had other 1911’s with full length guide rods and I could break them down without having to use a paper clip or something to capture it. So far.....not this one! This guide rod has got to go. I’ve seen where people have changed the full length rods in these particular guns to the GI rod and carried on. I’ll be ordering one from 10-8 Performance along with their stainless reverse plug. 

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of the Springfield 1911s and have several of them. I have a light weight Operator and love it. AFAIK this is the only lightweight full sized pistol anybody makes outside of custom builds.  Since it has a lower rail, I added a Streamlight TLR-1 and it serves duty as my house gun. 

tWlkrZy.jpg

I completely agree about full length guide rods. Their only purpose seems to be to make disassembly/reassembly harder. 🤬 Over the years I've bought a couple of 1911s that came from the factory with them. One of the first things I did was replace them with the standard G.I. type set up.  They work just fine. 😉

Many years ago I read an interview in one of the gun rags with Ed Brown. He stated that the only reason his guns used full length guide rods was because customers wanted them. He went on to say that none of his personal guns had one. 

Edited by Grayfox54
On 3/19/2021 at 9:35 AM, Grayfox54 said:

I'm a big fan of the Springfield 1911s and have several of them. I have a light weight Operator and love it. AFAIK this is the only lightweight full sized pistol anybody makes outside of custom builds.  Since it has a lower rail, I added a Streamlight TLR-1 and it serves duty as my house gun. 

tWlkrZy.jpg

I completely agree about full length guide rods. Their only purpose seems to be to make disassembly/reassembly harder. 🤬 Over the years I've bought a couple of 1911s that came from the factory with them. One of the first things I did was replace them with the standard G.I. type set up.  They work just fine. 😉

Many years ago I read an interview in one of the gun rags with Ed Brown. He stated that the only reason his guns used full length guide rods was because customers wanted them. He went on to say that none of his personal guns had one. 

I’m pondering on one of those right now. Same friend I bought the TRP from. I don’t need to buy another one right now but I’m afraid he’s going to call me in a couple days and make me one of those Godfather offers and I’ll be on the way back up there. 

On 3/20/2021 at 8:10 PM, Grayfox54 said:

If he offers, buy it! You won't regret it one bit. 😀

Did that today. This ought to wrap me up good for quite a while now (unless I trade my range officer compact for a Champion size). 

Only thing I need to do now is find something else to lust after. 

6 hours ago, res308 said:

Did that today. This ought to wrap me up good for quite a while now (unless I trade my range officer compact for a Champion size). 

Only thing I need to do now is find something else to lust after. 

On your TRP , are you able to see if the ejector is pinned or glued ?  I know it's an odd question but it is interesting to me how Springfield glues some and pins others. I have 2 Springfield's that are glued. They arent TRPs just the Mil-Spec ones. 

Edited by tercel89

Thanks for the response. Yeah I never understood it either. I used to want mine pinned like the old 1911's but then I saw someones pinned 1911 that  the pin had began to "walk out" and it slowly began to grind up the inside of the slide so now I think I rather have the glued one. 

• 1 month later...

I've had my first TRP for over 12 years.  I added a TRP Operator 2 years ago when I "needed" another 10mm.  These have been excellent pistols.  Most of us will never have use for a pistol exceeding the ability of the TRP.