Any turkey hunters on here?

Henry is that a Stevens 301? What gauge? I almost got another this morning. I set up on a point that drops off to a little creek. He came right up to the point. Full strut and then stopped and stretched his neck for a good look. I didn't have a decoy out and he didn't see anything. Let out 4 or 5 putts and skedaddled. There was 4 or 5 sapplings between me and him. I didn't notice them  until the sun came up. Couldn't get a clear shot. He was there and gone in about 3 seconds.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

Henry is that a Stevens 301? What gauge? I almost got another this morning. I set up on a point that drops off to a little creek. He came right up to the point. Full strut and then stopped and stretched his neck for a good look. I didn't have a decoy out and he didn't see anything. Let out 4 or 5 putts and skedaddled. There was 4 or 5 sapplings between me and him. I didn't notice them  until the sun came up. Couldn't get a clear shot. He was there and gone in about 3 seconds.

Yea it's the Steven's and in 12 gauge. I put a recoil pad on it to tame the kick and give me a longer lop. For the money I love it. Sure beats toating around my 870 or 835 on those long walks. Can't tell the Steven's is on your back.

I'm hoping to try a new spot of public land out in Roane County Sunday. I know they are ate up with Turkeys down that way from fishing it so much. Seen alotta birds on private land but figure they have to be some on the public surely.

With the factory buttpad I started flinching after the 8th shot of 3in Turkey loads. That was with the factory XFull choke. Bruised my arm up for a couple days. Waited till I got the recoil pad in to try out the Jellyhead and Gobble Stopper Red Dot. It made a world of difference and it's not bad at all now. 

I'm shooting the 3in Longbeard XR #5. It patterned the best outta all that I tried but the Federal 3in #6's was pretty impressive also and not far off from the Longbeards.

19 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

I bet it is bad on recoil. Most single shots are about 5 1/2 lbs. or so. My Mossberg 500 is bad enough. What load are you shooting in it?

Missed one opening day, rushed the shot and shot over him. Got one this morning. Always good breaking the new gun in on a decent bird. He had a 10in beard and 1in spurs.

IMG_20210409_110944_375.jpg

Nice bird Henry and glad the new shotty is working out.

• Like 3
On 4/9/2021 at 4:03 PM, Henry347 said:

Yea it's the Steven's and in 12 gauge. I put a recoil pad on it to tame the kick and give me a longer lop. For the money I love it. Sure beats toating around my 870 or 835 on those long walks. Can't tell the Steven's is on your back.

I'm hoping to try a new spot of public land out in Roane County Sunday. I know they are ate up with Turkeys down that way from fishing it so much. Seen alotta birds on private land but figure they have to be some on the public surely.

Congratulations on your bird. I had forgot.

• Like 1

I hadn't been in a couple days and went this morning. Didn't hear a single gobble on the roost. Called in 5 jakes at about 8:00, and got another to gobble about 20 minutes after that. He wouldn't budge for over an hour. I had somethings I had to do before work. So, I sneaked out and maybe try him again. Oh yeah, also called in a bobcat.

I thought i was gonna collect no.2 for the year Friday morning. Worked the bird from about 5:50-6:25 and he came in after I shut up for over 25 minutes. Came in full strut. Squeezed trigger and CLICK! He walks away....... I think I closed action softly, when it really needs a good firm closing. I shot it later because I was concerned about it. I fired the snapped shell and another. No problems. I gave it a good blasting out with gun cleaner today , and wiped it down and oiled. 

Edited by Quavodus