Tumbler media question

Well it's time to change the media in FL 2000 tumbler. Lord that stuff gets dirty...

I've seen Lizard bedding ( Zilla crushed walnut) mentioned on several forums and iirc I've seen it mentioned here at TGO.

The local Petco carries it at a much lower price than places like Midway .

I know walnut doesn't polish as well as corncob media. I'm not looking for "pretty", just clean brass. 馃槈

Anyone have any first hand experience using this?

TIA

• Like 1

The Zilla desert blend, and other lizard litter brands were very dusty in my experience.

I switched to the HF walnut media above and am happier with it. And a 25# bag means it is going to last quite a while even with more frequent media swaps if it does break down and get dusty.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, chances R said:

Jamie, you really need to switch over to 聽 聽wet tumbling. 聽Get the Hornady tumbler. 聽No need to deprime first, unless that鈥檚 your preference. 聽RCBS brass cleaner, about 10cc a run. 聽Great looking results.

I probably do need to at the very least consider the change.聽

Money is kinda tight right now. But there's always the next Black Friday sale聽馃檪

My old Dillon tumbler just keeps working. Like my old Lee press,聽 I keep thinking I'll replace it when it wears out... 30 years later they just keep working LOL聽

• Like 1

Are use both methods with stainless steel pans in a homemade Tumblr and walnut with some type of car polish in the vibrator. I had an old rock Tumblr from teenage years, I bought some 6 inch PVCa聽cap and聽an adapter and a rubber cap to make my Tumblr barrel. I will see if I can get some pics when I get home this afternoon. Afternoon. The stainless pans wet really clean the brass. However the walnut in the vibrator will polish much better.

I use the FA wet tumblers, have the large and small, they may be less $$, very satisfied with both of them.聽 Get the wet/dry media separator, very useful.聽 I've not found a SS pin in any brass after the dry cycle when i聽continue on with the brass processing for reloading.聽聽

21 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

I've got the Zilla running in my tumbler as I type this.聽

I don't deprime my brass first btw.

I 'll give it a few hours and see how it聽 works.聽

My tumbler is in my basement,聽 so the potential for dust really isn't a concern.聽

Squirt a little liquid car polish in there.

A dryer sheet will help as well.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

Thank you @RED333! That's pretty darn clever my friend. 馃憤

I am a cheap SOB, only issue is 7mm rem mag. The long case and narrow case mouth makes the pins hard to get out. As well as fill the case with pins and not clean very well. The vibrator and walnut hulls work great to clean the inside of cases.

30 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Squirt a little liquid car polish in there.

A dryer sheet will help as well.

I am going the have to try the dryer sheet. Wife got mad I used the car polish, till she saw the effect.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, expendable said:

I use Nu Finish polish.聽

I thought Brasso had ammonia in it that can cause your brass to crack?聽

I think NuFinish is what I have. Orange bottle.

I was thinking I鈥檇 read something similar about Brasso. I have no idea whether there is any validity to it.

26 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

What does your media look like?

I was just yanking yer chain my friend.

The media looks great! Not nearly as dirty as without the dryer sheets.

Thank you for the suggestion. I was simply compelled, uncontrollably I might add, to be a smart a**. 馃槈

• Like 1