Tumbler media question

Folks, I used Brasso by hand, with a rag, and polished cases for years, before

I found something better. Never had any issues with cracking, splitting, or smelling bad in wet weather, LOL. My guess, someone had an issue, gave the blame to Brasso. JMHO  FWIW.

Use spent dryer sheets before throwing them out. As the media ages add more sheets. I'm using 8 in 5 year old media. It takes about 3 hours to clean brass instead of an hour. Walnut media for cleaning brass, corncob with Nu Finish to polish.

• 1 month later...

I've been using the Zilla Lizard bedding media (ground walnut) along with 4-6 used dryer sheets same @gregintenn and @DeepSouthsuggested for a couple of months now.

I'm impressed. I toss out the old dryers sheets and add freshly used ones each run. I usually run about 400-500 pieces of brass per cycle ,so once every other week, Run time is generally 3-4 hours.

The used dryer sheets keep the Lizard bedding much cleaner and the brass is downright clean, shiny, and much brighter than the products I previously used (Frankford Arsenal or RCBS walnut).

There's also definitely less dust in my reloading area.

Just wanted to say thanks!

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, chances R said:

Jamie, time to switch over to wet tumble and pins....no dust.  Buy once and done.

It's gonna happen LOL

My wife just recently picked a dual chambered rock tumbler at Harbor Freight for her "projects".

As soon as I pick up some pins and she's not looking...

But just in case, do you have a spare couch at your place @chances R? 😉

On 3/20/2021 at 10:03 AM, expendable said:

I use Nu Finish polish. 

I thought Brasso had ammonia in it that can cause your brass to crack? 

When I first started reloading,  way back before tumblers, wet or dry, I used Brasso & a rag to polish brass. Never had one to crack, or anything else bad. It worked, but slow.

1 hour ago, Ray Z said:

What kind of ratio of corn cob to other stuff?

Corn cob media, tumbler about half full. Squirt of Nu Finish car polish, and a used dryer sheet. Tumble 3-4 hours. When that doesn’t produce desired results, dump in trash and start with clean media. It isn’t an exact science.

I wet tumble using a Lyman Cyclone tumbler with a tablespoon of Lyman cleaning solution (I'm gonna try some Dawn detergent next batch) and a pinch of Lemishine.  I've recently stopped using the pins because of the hassle of separating them and because they do a great job of cleaning the inside of the brass.  I think that the carbon inside the case is actually beneficial as the carbon lubrication seems to help the cases run through the press easier.  I have the tumble time down to about 1.5 hrs and the brass comes out so shiny, its almost blinding. 

I've used the pet bedding before and it worked ok, but wet tumbling is much better.  I first started with one of the HF tumblers and a PVC pipe to tumble with pins, Dawn, and Lemishine.  When the Frankfort Arsenal tumblers came on sale I got it and been using that ever since.  I must say it is the cleanest my brass has been in a long time and though not entirely necessary, it makes it much easier to spot bad brass.  Here is my process:

Step one is to separate my brass and deprime it.  It isn't completely necessary to deprime, but if you do, it cleans the primer pockets quite well.

aj2R7of.jpg

I tumble for about and hour with 5lbs of Pins, 1 TBS of Dawn and about 1/4 tsp Lemishine then dump most of the water and then the rest goes into the media separator.

phD4w4u.jpg

It take a bit of trial and error as to how fast to turn the handle, but I find if you go a bit slow most if not all of the pins come out.

QMqwwBJ.jpg

I have had had a couple get stuck in the necks of my 30/06 cases, (one was a 25/06 that was mixed in).

Efdf3aN.jpg

So I got different media for bottleneck cases, the straight wall ones were never a problem.  The smaller media is more aggressive so I tumble for 30 minutes with that one.

Gq92D1W.jpg

6Ng83vd.jpg

I use a magnet to transfer the pins back into the tumbler, or a towel to dry if not doing another batch.

4FYllxG.jpg

Kya9Cnf.jpg

I put the cases on an old towel and let air dry while the next batch is running.  I pick up the towel by the corners and move the cases back and forth, it gets most of the water out and makes drying much faster.  I usually have too many for the dehydrator, but that is an option for smaller batches.

8zfa1lD.jpg

There is a big difference between ones dry tumbled and the wet, the dry is on the left and wet on the right, except for the middle cases are opposite.

HiUMpSG.jpg

And even though I deburr and chamfer after forming my brass I still get a bunch of brass shavings in the tub.

P5ZyGnV.jpg

If you use a little carwax in the water, it leaves a bit of wax on the cases and the shine lasts much longer.

ulCEDtw.jpg

• Like 1