Underwater submerged storage

On 3/22/2021 at 6:16 PM, 221 Fireball said:

Two questions come to mind.

1. So why are you hiding the gun?

2.And what are you doing with it when you retrieve it at a later date?

How about encase it in concrete for your new grill foundation, then jackhammer it out when you one day need it. You'd probably have less damage than sending it to the bottom of the sea. 🤣

1. Why not, because I can, to hide it, to avoid governmental sweeps and searches in violation of the Constitution;

2. What ever defenseful purpose I might require of it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CrosbyStills said:

Why not, because I can, to hide it, to avoid governmental sweeps and searches in violation of the Constitution;

and all this on the interweb for all time, easy to look up and find.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, RED333 said:

and all this on the interweb for all time, easy to look up and find.

Yup, thought about that prior to posting. Feeling pretty secure that I'm not too easy to find through my VPN IP and then guess ing which of the hundreds of docks my friend, among several dock owning friends, owns on this big river among other tributaries and very big lakes.  

Edited by CrosbyStills
  • Admin Team
39 minutes ago, CrosbyStills said:

Yup, thought about that prior to posting. Feeling pretty secure that I'm not too easy to find through my VPN IP and then guess ing which of the hundreds of docks my friend, among several dock owning friends, owns on this big river among other tributaries and very big lakes.  

For what it's worth - from someone who does this for a living - the payoffs associated with examining your assumptions on this end of your decision making paradigm likely far outweigh worrying about how to hide your stuff.

• Haha 1
On 3/23/2021 at 2:45 AM, No_0ne said:

Rather than oil, follow the example of most military storage facilities around the world and pack them in grease.  It's a myth that long term storage of rifles like Mosin Nagants and others were stored in cosmolene.  Cosmolene was (is) used almost exclusively by the US, other countries mainly used grease - i.e. plain old axle grease.  It works very well as a rust preventative, and is much less likely to leak.  Regardless of how you pack them, water intrusion will always cause damage, I would think carefully about storing anything underwater that I wished to be functional over many years.  Pack your guns in grease, store them away in a secure location.  After all, that method worked reasonably well for the millions of surplus WWII weapons the CommBloc comrades packed away 70 odd years ago against invasion by the evil, imperialist Western nations ...

Cosmoline.

1 minute ago, Swamp ash said:

Cosmoline.

Damn, I used to hate that stuff.  Back in the day, I was an armorer in the military and we would get new weapons in sometimes literally buried in cosmoline.  We had to strip all that gunk out before putting the weapons into service.  Was a bear to clean.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Defender said:

Damn, I used to hate that stuff.  Back in the day, I was an armorer in the military and we would get new weapons in sometimes literally buried in cosmoline.  We had to strip all that gunk out before putting the weapons into service.  Was a bear to clean.

Great stuff though

10 hours ago, Garufa said:

I still say if “the package” goes under water it will never be recovered unless someone is really, really lucky.  Way too many variables to make it a successful plan.

and if you make it easy to find then some one else will find it.

22 hours ago, MacGyver said:

For what it's worth - from someone who does this for a living - the payoffs associated with examining your assumptions on this end of your decision making paradigm likely far outweigh worrying about how to hide your stuff.

If what you are saying is that there has been valuable enlightenment in discussing this and the practicalities learned outweigh any true concern regarding need to obfuscate, then I'd agree. However, as one with extensive first hand warrant execution experience, the extent to which people go to sequester items never fails to surprise me. Exploring realities of less common methodologies is useful.

There was a case of a lawyer for a large drug ring that actually built a fake block wall 3 feet in front of his real basement wall and put gun safes behind it filled with guns, cash and other valuables. It was dumb luck it got found when they raided the place.  Almost like one of the comedies where someone leans on a candle holder and the wall opens. Too bad the guy had emptied all but one safe before they got there. 

On 3/25/2021 at 9:19 AM, MacGyver said:

1 hour ago, CrosbyStills said:

If what you are saying is that there has been valuable enlightenment in discussing this and the practicalities learned outweigh any true concern regarding need to obfuscate, then I'd agree. However, as one with extensive first hand warrant execution experience, the extent to which people go to sequester items never fails to surprise me. Exploring realities of less common methodologies is useful.

Dadburn it, y’all have to stop using them big galdang words, making my head hurt!!!

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

Just assume that your VPN isn’t really providing anonymity in 2021. It’s doing a lot - but when needed - there are multiple ways to hire out where and who you are. 

What does that have to do with pulling some random chain on some random dock and dredging up a cache of weapons?  😀

• Admin Team
3 hours ago, Garufa said:

What does that have to do with pulling some random chain on some random dock and dredging up a cache of weapons?  😀

That was to the above comment about not really worrying about discussing plans like this on the open web due to using a VPN to reroute traffic. 

On 3/26/2021 at 9:06 AM, Ronald_55 said:

There was a case of a lawyer for a large drug ring that actually built a fake block wall 3 feet in front of his real basement wall and put gun safes behind it filled with guns, cash and other valuables. It was dumb luck it got found when they raided the place.  Almost like one of the comedies where someone leans on a candle holder and the wall opens. Too bad the guy had emptied all but one safe before they got there. 

During one of the many restorations of the Tower of London, workers discovered a "secret room" in the original foundation walls of the crypt.  Although no extant documents reveal the purpose of this niche, archaeologists generally think it was probably used as a vault room, for important documents and storage of extra weapons.  Hiding arms for future use has a long tradition ...

• Like 2