Job question

23 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

I work from home and love it! Saves me a ton on gas, food, time, etc. I get a lot more done because I'm not having to leave at a certain time to beat traffic.

Same here. My wife and I have been working from home since March of last year. They are likely making me go back by the summer but my wife gets to work from home permanently. I think I only put 3,000 miles on my truck last year. 

Alleycat, you answered your own question. Now you may not live until retirement, many don't. Please don't trade money for your happiness. But I am interested with the fast cars and loose women aspect, my wife of almost 50 years on Saturday btw wouldn't find it funny.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

Same here. My wife and I have been working from home since March of last year. They are likely making me go back by the summer but my wife gets to work from home permanently. I think I only put 3,000 miles on my truck last year. 

For me the biggest plus is not having to drive. My wife is afraid I'll blow a vessel because I get so mad at stupid drivers. Sometimes I imagine having twin Ma-Duces in the front of my truck.

• Haha 1

My wife has worked from home for about 6 years now. She will not even consider a position that is not remote work. She will go into an office once a quarter or so for some sort of meeting but that is the extent of it. If she wants to head out of state and visit a friend for a week she can. She just works from their kitchen table during the day and visits with them in the afternoon/evening. Most of her coworkers are scattered around the country and all work from home as well. 

I worked from home, supplier conference rooms, and hotel rooms for several years when I was traveling 42+ weeks a year. The travel got old fast but I loved working remotely. I was far more efficient without coworkers to bother me and the distractions of an office/plant. The 70 - 90 hour weeks (including travel time) was awful. 

I got caught in a round of lay offs last February but managed to shift that into a bit of a dream job. I get to do what I have amassed more than a decade of expertise at with products I love and I do not have to travel very often at all. I took a $8k a year pay cut but could not be happier. My stress level is low, I have great coworkers, and the perks of the job are hard to ignore. 

Money is important but quality of life is worth more than material possessions to me.

On 3/24/2021 at 6:50 PM, gary_boom said:

A VP at the plant where I use to work said if they can work from home somebody in India can work from home cheaper

Funny story. I have to translate back and forth between thick Indian accent and Southern dialect. I've done this for Chinese and Korean. Never was good at Chinese.  The Indian guys find it hilarious because of how well it works. It was always odd for me because it could be viewed as not politically correct, but when 30 people are speaking the same language and they can understand one another what are you going to do? It's funny to see them light up when I understand what they are saying the first time we talk. It never fails though. I end up having to say dowg instead of dog for all their coworkers . 

A VP at the plant where I use to work said if they can work from home somebody in India can work from home cheaper

Sounds like one of the many people who think they can justify their paycheck simply with their physical presence in a building. Personally I have a low opinion of VP's in general. In my experience they are mostly good for taking credit for the work done by the directors, senior managers, managers, and engineers below them while having none of the responsibility and potential blowback of the President/CEO/Owner above them. 

If I am not physically operating a piece of equipment or physically inspecting a machine/part/component I can do my job from anywhere with an internet connection. I don't need a desk in a plant to look at a CAD model, drawing, or pile of data. 

• Like 1

My wife is starting to find this accurate in her profession; except they are in the Philippines.

On 3/24/2021 at 12:15 PM, gregintenn said:

My wife works from home and hates it. She enjoys being around people. I would enjoy working from home, but it would be difficult to build a bridge in my living room.

Where are you building a bridge right now?

Edited by Snaveba