BAD STORMS APPROACHING

A516

I have never seen the local weather forecasters so serious about storms coming towards east Tennessee.  Local government and businesses are closing down early.  Everyone please be safe.

• Like 1

I am all for early warning, specially for high winds and tornados, but it seems that the weather people cream their shorts when this stuff develops.  They take over programing and keep repeating over and over their dire warnings about the possibility of damaging weather conditions for what seems like hours.  It gets to the point where you start to ignore the information, even when you are in the supposed path.  I would much rather they come in during a commercial, do their spiel, then go away, or drop it to a corner of the screen like some do.  I get it, job security and all, but there has to be a happy medium.  During tornado warnings, I can see going at it full bore, but when it's just a watch they need to back off a little.

• Like 2

Well we actually did have tornado warnings in effect last evening and some damage close to the house. Less than a mile away there was golf ball sized hail that would cover a good bit of the palm of your hand. two streets over there were trees down and windows blown out of houses. 
We had some significant straight line winds and nearly 2 inches of rain yesterday. Nothing that seemed to develop into a tornado but the straight lines were in excess of 40mph. 

It wasn't the storm of the century or anything here in central Nashville, and it moved pretty fast.  But that was some legit hail and I would NOT have wanted to get caught in it outside or even on the road.  Glad I made it back to my apartment when I did just before it started.  Also have to consider how easily there can be flash flooding around the area as well.

Edited by btq96r