Concerned about a recent transaction

jgradyc

While browsing through our classifieds today, I saw an interesting transaction. A guy joined TGO and posted a Glock 43 for sale. What's unusual is that he had only been a member of TGO for 19 hours when I saw the post so he had apparently joined and then immediately posted the item for sale. Then, today, someone else joined TGO and immediately posted an offer to buy that gun.  Neither has posted on any other thread.

This is probably a legit transaction, but it concerns me. Should we allow strangers to join and immediately post an item for sale? Should we allow someone to join and immediately post an offer to buy?  Personally, I don't think I would sell to anyone who joined immediately to respond to my ad. I might consider buying, but it would have to be pretty convincing and very safe... as in "meeting a policeman at the precinct office" safe.

Just wondering. 

Edited by jgradyc

I don't buy or sell with anyone who has no reputation points, and I'm confident others here take the same precaution.  I think it's fine for new folks to get involved in the classifieds if they pay to become benefactors, but I just feel better dealing with someone who's been around a little while.

Cheers,

Whisper

• Like 7
30 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

It’s not uncommon for folks to join specifically for the purpose of buying or selling an item. Sometimes they even stick around and become valued member of the community. 

I resemble that remark.  Well, except for the valued part ...

• Haha 4
  • Moderators

I somehow found a gun for sale/trade on Google way back around 2011 or so and it linked me to TGO. I guess you could say I stuck around.

Should someone be cautious? Of course, but it doesn't seem like something we should prevent.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, SharpPewter007 said:

I just joined today, if I saw a good deal I’d make an offer to buy. If it’s a FTF transaction I’m not sure why anyone would be scared. It’s not like it’s gunbroker where you mail in a money order. Hello all by the way! 

Welcome to TGO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, SharpPewter007 said:

I just joined today, if I saw a good deal I’d make an offer to buy. If it’s a FTF transaction I’m not sure why anyone would be scared. It’s not like it’s gunbroker where you mail in a money order. Hello all by the way! 

Howdy. Just a quick warning... We ain't right....

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
15 minutes ago, SharpPewter007 said:

I just joined today, if I saw a good deal I’d make an offer to buy.

If you do, please use the messaging system provided to communicate with the seller and not throw out random offers in a for sale posting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I can’t even remember why I joined. I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t from sniffing out a bargain on something.

Honestly...for me it was initially from being bored. The only other online forum type activity I'd ever been involved with was the Tennessee Civil Society. Points awarded for knowing it, attaboy for having been a member and friends with the man behind it all. LOL

I was referred here by another on TCS as it went down. Was extremely intimidated when I got here. Lots of smart, well heeled guys; and I was s piddling, out of a job guy with big medical issues. Wasn't even sure I'd be around for long. Both figuratively and literally.

But still here. It's been quite a ride, with only a few bumps along the way.

Wouldn't have missed it for at least 20 bucks.

• Like 1

I just moved to Tennessee from Colorado and have some extra pistols that I'd like to get rid of.  Now that I'm no longer locked in an apartment there are things that I'd like to purchase.  I told the guy that offered it was his, pending no felonies and no DV's.  Same with the guy that posted the riding mower.  I don't have thousands of extra dollars lying around after moving and buying a brand new house to spend on the new items I need for the house, so I'm trying to finance them by selling or trading things that I don't use often.  Retire Army, if you have any other questions about my intentions please feel free to send me a PM and I'll give you my number do we can discuss them.  

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Taylorshort23 said:

I just moved to Tennessee from Colorado and have some extra pistols that I'd like to get rid of.  Now that I'm no longer locked in an apartment there are things that I'd like to purchase.  I told the guy that offered it was his, pending no felonies and no DV's.  Same with the guy that posted the riding mower.  I don't have thousands of extra dollars lying around after moving and buying a brand new house to spend on the new items I need for the house, so I'm trying to finance them by selling or trading things that I don't use often.  Retire Army, if you have any other questions about my intentions please feel free to send me a PM and I'll give you my number do we can discuss them.  

Welcome to TGO.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Taylorshort23 said:

I wouldn't say any of this is meant to be offensive or questioning your intent, Sir. It's just that for the last few months, there have been a lot of...well for lack of a better term, trolling on the site. One post wonders that will make a big fuss about buying and then never follow thru. Not even to the point of replying to a PM. Just never, and I mean not to return again. That leaves us to be somewhat cautious.

I've had it happen to me twice in the last 10 days or so.

So please understand that it isn't a personal attack. It just takes a bit of time to instill the amount of trust and mutual insanity that we have established here.

Allow me to say Thank You for Your Service to Our Nation, Sir. And a hearty welcome to TGO!

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Taylorshort23 said:

If there's that much concern I can't imagine what's going to happen when I try to find places to duck and goose hunt

I know a park I can point you to, but the city might take offense. I would be glad for the reduction of duck crap on the walking trail. lol

I have been hit wanting to buy stuff several times by members that joined minutes ago. Many barely post a full sentence and never come back. If they can't bother to come back and respond tp a PM I am not sure why they bother joining. I did have a guy a couple years ago  join, buy a mag off me, and never came back. Transaction was smooth, but he was in AZ if I remember.

Part of what makes sites like this good though is that you have somewhat of a  gauge of existing members. New members just have to put a bit of effort in to get involved. I was the new guy not that long ago too, but I feel it was totally worth investing some time to post and build up some reputation here. Much better dealings here than Armslist for sure. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1