Good quality shorts

Anyone have recommendations for good quality USA made shorts with decent cargo pockets?    

I found that Diamond Gusset makes a couple styles of shorts, but neither has cargo pockets.  

I'd pay a fair price for a pair of quality shorts that will last, but can't find any to purchase.

Thanks for any tips! 

• Admin Team

I quit the he cargo shorts a few years ago, but while we’re plugging shorts, Howler Brothers Waterman’s Work Shorts are hands down the best shorts I’ve ever owned.  I probably won’t ever buy anything else.

https://howlerbros.com/products/watermans-work-shorts-s20?color=1

They're not inexpensive - but they’ve almost always got some of whatever last season’s colors are on sale. 

Four features I really like:

They’re heavy weight - but still quick to dry

The pliers pocket on the mid thigh is perfect for your phone - and actually is great for pliers if your fishing.

The design of the front pockets makes it so your not going to lose the contents of your pockets when you sit down. 

The flap on the back pockets actually is an extension of the pocket - that when it folds over makes it so that you’re not losing anything there either.

Oh, and they look great straight out of the dryer - which you might not care about - but ask your wife about those cargo short pockets. 

Unfortunately, not made in the USA.  But I wear Duluth Trading Firehose pants and shorts almost exclusively. While up in Franklin right up from the Galleria Mall, I stopped at the local store and picked up another pair of pants and another pair of shorts last week.  Not cheap, but I think they are worth the price.  Watch for sales and you can sometimes find a decent deal.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-duluthflex-fire-hose-11-cargo-shorts-36333.html?dwvar_36333_color=BRN&dwvar_36333_waist=040

12 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I quit the he cargo shorts a few years ago, but while we’re plugging shorts, Howler Brothers Waterman’s Work Shorts are hands down the best shorts I’ve ever owned.  I probably won’t ever buy anything else.

https://howlerbros.com/products/watermans-work-shorts-s20?color=1

They're not inexpensive - but they’ve almost always got some of whatever last season’s colors are on sale. 

Four features I really like:

They’re heavy weight - but still quick to dry

The pliers pocket on the mid thigh is perfect for your phone - and actually is great for pliers if your fishing.

The design of the front pockets makes it so your not going to lose the contents of your pockets when you sit down. 

The flap on the back pockets actually is an extension of the pocket - that when it folds over makes it so that you’re not losing anything there either.

Oh, and they look great straight out of the dryer - which you might not care about - but ask your wife about those cargo short pockets. 

It says mesh pocket linings... do they hold up?  My keys poke holes in mesh pockets. 

I prefer Propper https://www.propper.com/?CAWELAID=120277770000078567&CATRK=SPFID-1&CAAGID=111723080047&CATCI=kwd-361681881019&CAPCID=461164110239&CADevice=c&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjPaCBhDkARIsAISZN7TSA3d3B7-F1Wik7k6msHs2WvR_bLuCUyYpoTevzsY5M2-GMS6---saAjgxEALw_wcB

They last for years and have big pockets. One feature on some of their shorts that I really like is a concealed pocket within the back pocket that contains and hides my Taurus Slim 9 in a pocket holster while still allowing easy access.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
7 hours ago, peejman said:

It says mesh pocket linings... do they hold up?  My keys poke holes in mesh pockets. 

It’s thick.  I have that same problem. I’ve got some that are 5 years old and have yet to poke a hole in them. 

• Like 1

As much as I carry in the cargo pockets of my pants, it's been suggested that I just use a daypack instead.  In the summer they really get loaded down as I don't wear a jacket to use for pocket space. Not sure if a lighter weight shorts would work for me. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, jpx2rk said:

I find the Wrangler carpenter style shorts (& pants) very comfy, and wear well.  I prefer my clothes on the loose side so I'm not all bound up when sitting, etc., or mowing the yard, yada yada  yada

Edited by bduncan1231
Erroneous post on my end
4 hours ago, Defender said:

Me too!  Started carrying a small sling pack and still have full pockets!  I just cant win, lol.

Must just be me, but I haven't really gotten into sling packs. I have a few, 2 different sizes. One is too small and the other is not much better. 

Not been comfy with across the chest, and they just slide off my shoulders.

Must be a trick to this.

Edited by hipower
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

I’m curious to know when paying $60 and more for some shorts became normal.  

The alternate is buying cheap clothes that don't last. My wife and I did that for years and we finally got to the point that we're done buying cheap, made in China clothes. One of our goals this year is to buy as little stuff made in China as possible. Its been difficult.

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 4
On 3/26/2021 at 5:05 PM, FrankD said:

I'm a big fan of the patagonia lightweight shorts.  Maybe not as durable as some of the duluth options others have called out, but the breathability is worth it to not fight swamp a$$ all summer.

Ha-ha-ha.

My hiking shorts and pants are always Patagonia. They allow really great freedom of movement, too.