Status of "Constitutional Carry" in TN.

The final week of the issue is coming up next week.  The Governor's Bill HB 0786 is up for floor vote Monday in the House afternoon Floor Session.  The other two bills, HB 0018 by now stripped of committee assignments Bruce Griffey and HB 1388 by Chris Todd have been "Placed behind the Budget" due to the supposed Fiscal Notes of approx. $2.5 million in lost revenue (spurious at  best) while the Governor's bill has a nearly $18million fiscal note... Neither bill has been put on notice in the Senate.

The Governor's bill does not include long guns, down to 18 age or many of the places that the "Enhanced" permit holders can carry, but to the man (or woman) we are being told it is the "best we can get".

It is my understanding that several amendments will be offered on the floor in Mondays session, but they have no chance of being accepted.  Mike Bell, Chair of Senate Judiciary Department said we could come back in 10-12 years to have another go at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeCdrg8jIXA

It’s a shame that this bill is the “best” the supermajority can deliver. While this bill is a disappointment, I am disgusted that my supposedly “100% pro-second amendment” state senator voted against the bill in its entirety. Having seen his votes in other matters, I am not entirely surprised. He is not what he claims to be, but I suppose most politicians are the same. 

• Like 1

I agree with others on here. Its hard for me to understand how we can have a conservative gov and legislature yet not pass all the good gun bills.  We should have a real constitutional carry bill as well as removing restricted on locations to carry.

• Like 1
Just now, Defender said:

I agree with others on here. Its hard for me to understand how we can have a conservative gov and legislature yet not pass all the good gun bills. 

I don't think there are many Republican politicians that are REALLY die hard about gun rights. They certainly aren't freedom loving in general. It isn't surprising to me that we haven't been able to make this happen yet.

• Like 1

My question is who is the person behind the curtain everyone (legislators) keep alluding to as not allowing us to enjoy all the 2nd Amendment?  What power is granted this individual, or cabal if it be, by the Constitutions of the State and Union to deny your your Right to arms clearly enumerated by the Constitutions, and in light of the McDonald v. City of Chicago decision where the 2nd was incorporated against the state by the 14th?

Would each of us feel ill treated if these miscreants decided to limit us each to one nostril to breath with, seeing as to how they have determined themselves to be the final arbiter of how much of anything we can have, oxygen in the atmosphere being another thing our Creator gave us?

Not on point possibly but consistent I think... 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Defender said:

I agree with others on here. Its hard for me to understand how we can have a conservative gov and legislature yet not pass all the good gun bills.  We should have a real constitutional carry bill as well as removing restricted on locations to carry.

We do not have a Conservative anything related to our TN legislature.  If I could construct in your minds a meme, of a relay team of runners, consisting of  Jimmy Naifeh, Beth Harwell, Glen Casada with Cameron Sexton being the final leg, I would do so and maybe I could then improve the consideration of the voters in Tennessee that the stuff hitting your shoes is NOT rain water... 

• Like 5
14 hours ago, Worriedman said:

My question is who is the person behind the curtain everyone (legislators) keep alluding to as not allowing us to enjoy all the 2nd Amendment?  What power is granted this individual, or cabal if it be, by the Constitutions of the State and Union to deny your your Right to arms clearly enumerated by the Constitutions, and in light of the McDonald v. City of Chicago decision where the 2nd was incorporated against the state by the 14th?

Would each of us feel ill treated if these miscreants decided to limit us each to one nostril to breath with, seeing as to how they have determined themselves to be the final arbiter of how much of anything we can have, oxygen in the atmosphere being another thing our Creator gave us?

Not on point possibly but consistent I think... 

lol no one.  No one is behind the curtain.  It is a bogey man they are using to keep from being blamed.  They dont support it nor believe in it so they wont vote for it but to keep voters for them they say it's someone else.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1
8 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I’m beginning to think I’m the only guy on here who thinks permitless carry is a good thing.

There are several of us that have shown support for this. I even called a few politicians to encourage them to pass it. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

I’m beginning to think I’m the only guy on here who thinks permitless carry is a good thing.

nah, some of us believe it is our God given right. I didn't ask for permission before, not asking now. Be nice for someone to show some respect and stop the infringements.

• Like 3

Once again the TFA does not support the bill that has a chance to pass.   The fear mongering is amazing.  Instead of passing what we can when we can and then working on plugging away in future legislative sessions, we will pass nothing and get nothing.   

• Like 1

Once again the Republican leadership has resisted doing the right thing with all their might.  At least this way we know who in the government actually read their oath of office and will stand behind it.  

Someone please point to anywhere in the US or TN Constitution that allows the existing gun control laws?  Gun Control is never done for OUR benefit.  

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

Once again the TFA does not support the bill that has a chance to pass.   The fear mongering is amazing.  Instead of passing what we can when we can and then working on plugging away in future legislative sessions, we will pass nothing and get nothing.   

Patently incorrect. Anyone seeing our writeups knows we support this if it is in fact all we can get.  Even today, with it going to floor vote we have asked amendments to be offered, but it is NAGR calling for its defeat not TFA.

2 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

This is my fear. Imagine the antis voting for enough amendments to actually kill the bill's passage upon final vote. Were I a democrat Tennessee Congressman, that's probably how I'd go about defeating this bill.

I'd prefer we take the Governor's bill and live to fight another day.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 2
49 minutes ago, Worriedman said:

Patently incorrect. Anyone seeing our writeups knows we support this if it is in fact all we can get.  Even today, with it going to floor vote we have asked amendments to be offered, but it is NAGR calling for its defeat not TFA.

To the lay person, your "commercials" sound exactly the opposite.   So what you put in a writeup may say differently, but what you put into snippets and sound bites sure makes me seem correct.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

Excellent point! The anti-gun people are very good at taking a nibble here and a bite there. They NEVER give back any ground, and whatever gains they make are simply the new starting line. The pro-liberty folks should probably learn a lesson there and take, as you say, what we can when we can.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, 1gewehr said:

Someone please point to anywhere in the US or TN Constitution that allows the existing gun control laws?

While I agree with you, unfortunately, that ship has sailed. The political class is masterful at twisting meanings, confusing the issues, and misdirection. And I must admit, even though I am a staunch proponent of the Second Amendment, I want firearms kept out of the hands of criminals and those who are mentally unstable, which requires some restriction.  

3 hours ago, Darrell said:

While I agree with you, unfortunately, that ship has sailed. The political class is masterful at twisting meanings, confusing the issues, and misdirection. And I must admit, even though I am a staunch proponent of the Second Amendment, I want firearms kept out of the hands of criminals and those who are mentally unstable, which requires some restriction.  

How about we remove criminals and the mentally unstable from society rather than firearms?

Anybody have a line on what’s taking place at the Capitol right now?

• Like 2
  • Moderators
16 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

How about we remove criminals and the mentally unstable from society rather than firearms?

Anybody have a line on what’s taking place at the Capitol right now?

Passed, no amendments, off to the Governor. 

• Like 2