Status of "Constitutional Carry" in TN.

5 minutes ago, Defender said:

Our gun laws here in Tennessee are starting to remind me of the obfuscation the ATF uses.  How in the world can anyone expect the average NON HCP citizen to understand what and where they can legally carry?  The state has committed a disservice to Tennesseans by calling this 'Constitutional Carry'.  As a 'gun guy', many of friends expect me to be able to give good advice on this crap, and lord its hard to keep up, lol.  If anyone has the time and knowledge, it would be useful to create a downloadable chart that depicts in easy to read columns, the places and what one can carry with one column being HCP holders and the other being the co-called Constitutional Carry persons.  I don't understand it enough to do that.

It's not Constitutional Carry but Permitless Carry.    But you aren't wrong. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

I'm well aware of what passed.   And it wasn't just the Senate version but the Senate version AS AMENDED.  And the Senate version as amended contained the language "lawfully present."  

Leader Lambert's office told me they substituted the Senate version for his House bill for final consideration, the screen shot shows that from their website, but I am sure you are correct.

Seante Bill 765.jpg

SB 765 final.jpg

Edited by Worriedman
33 minutes ago, Defender said:

Our gun laws here in Tennessee are starting to remind me of the obfuscation the ATF uses.  How in the world can anyone expect the average NON HCP citizen to understand what and where they can legally carry?  The state has committed a disservice to Tennesseans by calling this 'Constitutional Carry'.  As a 'gun guy', many of friends expect me to be able to give good advice on this crap, and lord its hard to keep up, lol.  If anyone has the time and knowledge, it would be useful to create a downloadable chart that depicts in easy to read columns, the places and what one can carry with one column being HCP holders and the other being the co-called Constitutional Carry persons.  I don't understand it enough to do that.

There is a "clean up" bill still moving, though I hold no hope it will make it out of full Criminal Justice, though it did pass Criminal sub yesterday, HB 1388 by Todd, would simply take away the criminal aspect of 1307 and do away with 1308, and now that the Governor's bill has passed there is no fiscal note.  You can measure your Rep. and Senators by how they =treat this one.

This just shows the level of disfunction in Government. They just passed this bill, which isn't clear at all, and now they are already working on a "clean up" bill. Why is it so difficult to get it right the first time? 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Worriedman said:

Leader Lambert's office told me they substituted the Senate version for his House bill for final consideration, the screen shot shows that from their website, but I am sure you are correct.

Seante Bill 765.jpg

SB 765 final.jpg

Your second image show the Senate vote.   "Floor vote : as amended."   So you need to go to the senate version and click on the amendments tab.   There are two.  Amendment one was passed and amendment two was tabled.  If you click on Amendment One, you will see the language that I quoted above.  

1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

Your second image show the Senate vote.   "Floor vote : as amended."   So you need to go to the senate version and click on the amendments tab.   There are two.  Amendment one was passed and amendment two was tabled.  If you click on Amendment One, you will see the language that I quoted above.  

You are correct, even they did not realize it, the whole thing is hard to keep up with, but you are 100% correct.

That is going to be a problem from magistrates in Davidson and Shelby county reading it that their take is that any park requires a permit to be legally present, we will need a AG's opinion for those areas.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Erik88 said:

This just shows the level of disfunction in Government. They just passed this bill, which isn't clear at all, and now they are already working on a "clean up" bill. Why is it so difficult to get it right the first time? 

Has to do with Fiscal Review, Todd's bill would have gone behind the budget if it had been run prior to the Governor's bill being passed, which has the $2.5 or so in lost revenue covered, so now this second bill can not be killed simply over money.  It has to be killed on the merits.

Watch Leader Lambert's comment on 1388 in Criminal Sub yesterday, done correctly he said, and, he appreciated it being vetted in committee instead of as an amendment on the floor, (where Todd had one there that did exactly the same thing).

I do not think it has a chance of making it out of Full Criminal Justice, but it would be really nice if it did, just to get a count of votes on the floor.

Gamesmanship!  Here is the presentation of that clean up bill

Edited by Worriedman
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
3 hours ago, Worriedman said:

Has to do with Fiscal Review, Todd's bill would have gone behind the budget if it had been run prior to the Governor's bill being passed, which has the $2.5 or so in lost revenue covered, so now this second bill can not be killed simply over money.  It has to be killed on the merits.

Watch Leader Lambert's comment on 1388 in Criminal Sub yesterday, done correctly he said, and, he appreciated it being vetted in committee instead of as an amendment on the floor, (where Todd had one there that did exactly the same thing).

I do not think it has a chance of making it out of Full Criminal Justice, but it would be really nice if it did, just to get a count of votes on the floor.

Gamesmanship!  Here is the presentation of that clean up bill

That presentation was hella well done.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Randall53 said:

It’s really just too bad that Republicans aren’t as extreme in their efforts to protect our rights as the batsh** crazy Democrats are to destroy them. 

To bad my big ol butt, it is a dadburn crying shame!!!

Edited by RED333
Because I can
3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Once this is all over, I’d sure love to be able to read a brief summary of what has actually changed. Right now, I find it difficult to keep up with.

Trying to read the laws of this country makes my head hurt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, RED333 said:

Trying to read the laws of this country makes my head hurt. 

4 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Once this is all over, I’d sure love to be able to read a brief summary of what has actually changed. Right now, I find it difficult to keep up with.

I'll wait for the legal eagles to interpret it. Won't go into effect until July 1st anyway. We'll know by then,

• Like 1
On 3/26/2021 at 9:50 AM, Erik88 said:

I don't think there are many Republican politicians that are REALLY die hard about gun rights. They certainly aren't freedom loving in general. It isn't surprising to me that we haven't been able to make this happen yet.

It does look that way for sure sometimes. But at least they’re not trying to destroy freedom and the USA from every angle imaginable like the Democrats are.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...