Memphis City Council passes resolution opposing permitless carry in Tennesse

https://wreg.com/news/memphis-city-council-passes-resolution-opposing-permitless-carry-in-tennesse/

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The Memphis City Council approved a resolution opposing a state bill that would allow residents to carry a gun without a permit.

Cosponsored by City Council members Chase Carlisle, Patrice Robinson, JB Simley, Jr. and Dr. Jeff Warren, the resolution said the proposed legislation would endanger the “health, welfare and public safety” of those in the city of Memphis.

Memphis Police Director Michael Rallings, District Attorney General Amy Weirich and Memphis mayor Jim Strickland have all said they oppose the measure.

More than 55 Memphians have been killed this year, which is well ahead of last year’s record homicide number of 332.

Tennessee Governor Bill Lee, who is a supporter of the bill, has argued that allowing more law-abiding citizens to carry guns would make Tennessee safer.

• Wow 1
  • Angry 2

“The Memphis City Council approved a resolution opposing a state bill that would allow residents to carry a gun without a permit.”

Jeez, it’s a local resolution showing lack of support for what the State is trying to do.  They’re not proposing a local ordinance. No need to cut and paste the entire TN State Code.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Garufa said:

“The Memphis City Council approved a resolution opposing a state bill that would allow residents to carry a gun without a permit.”

Jeez, it’s a local resolution showing lack of support for what the State is trying to do.  They’re not proposing a local ordinance. No need to cut and paste the entire TN State Code.

Yes sir.

Proving once again that fear isn't rational. The council fears guns and thinks if they are banned, they are magically safe.

What they fail to realize (acknowledge?) is that guns are already being carried & used by those they should fear (criminals). But honest people are currently at the mercy of those that already flaunt the law. Permitless carry (aka, Constitutional Carry) merely levels the playing field & violent crime will go DOWN as a result.

Chicago politicians have followed the same thinking as the Memphis City Council for many years. Same outcome (300+ murders per year.) What is that definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over & over again, but expecting a different result. The governor is on the right path. Thankfully the Memphis council can't over-rule state law.

Edited by Frog4aday
Left "a" off again.
  • Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Wingshooter said:

Can we propose a resolution to sell Memphis? I know TN wouldn’t get much for it, but there has to be another state that wants it, right?

Not so fast, I would be will to bet that there are more good people in the area than bad!

• Like 1
On 4/24/2021 at 12:10 PM, Wingshooter said:

Can we propose a resolution to sell Memphis? I know TN wouldn’t get much for it, but there has to be another state that wants it, right?

Having spent considerable time in other areas of TN, it appears the problem doesn't end at the city limits of Memphis.  I've seen no part of the state that I feel safe to be unarmed.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, tnhawk said:

Having spent considerable time in other areas of TN, it appears the problem doesn't end at the city limits of Memphis.  I've seen no part of the state that I feel safe to be unarmed.

You should travel more.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, RED333 said:

I have prayed this will change one day, but I think it will be a very long time.

It won’t change this side of the end of days. It is the nature of our fallen state. So I don’t concern myself with what I wish it were. I deal with what it is and do what I am best able to do within my sphere of influence. 

• Like 2