G20 or some other 10mm flavor?

billyblazes

I currently do not own anything in 10mm but I have an itch to get something in this regard.  No good reason beyond me wanting one.  I started by looking at a Desert Eagle 10mm 1911 but my reading is pushing me towards the Glock G20 or G20SF.  Any suggestions or feedback from owners is appreciated.

A little of my thought process to round this out: I very much like the aesthetics of the 1911 but a strong argument was made that the larger capacity and arguably greater reliability makes the Glock a better option.  Through my reading I decided I will likely want to put a red dot on this pistol as I have on my G45 MOS.  That was something not even considered when I was looking at the Desert Eagle, but an article on the Glock made a strong case for the benefit of a red dot on a gun of this caliber.  I find it without explanation though that Glock does not offer a MOS version of the G20/G20SF.  If I do go the Glock route with the knowledge that I'll need to have the slide milled, my next decision will be whether to get the G20 or get the SF version.  I am hoping a local shop will have both in stock so I can compare how each fits in my hand.  I doubt though I will find a shop with one on the shelf, much less both models.  Regardless, I know I want it in Gen 4 to take advantage of the upgraded recoil spring.

I appreciate any input on how best to spend my money on this purchase.

• Like 1

Glock 40 MOS if ya can find one.  A 10mm of the striker fired flavor n polymer grip frame is hard ta beat if ya need or want one.  I only have two Glock 20's...HEHEHE... That said:  Ya need ta be a reloader or interested in starting. Lots easier on the ole purse.  

Good luck...

10 mm leroy.  

43 minutes ago, leroy said:

Glock 40 MOS if ya can find one.  A 10mm of the striker fired flavor n polymer grip frame is hard ta beat if ya need or want one.  I only have two Glock 20's...HEHEHE... That said:  Ya need ta be a reloader or interested in starting. Lots easier on the ole purse.  

Good luck...

10 mm leroy.  

I’ll take that as an affirmation from someone with firsthand experience that I’m on the right path leaning towards the Glock.  I just don’t care for the long slide of the G40 though.  I do find it odd that they make the G40, the 10mm with the longest sight radius, in a MOS version but not the shorter 10mm slides. It leaves me scratching my head. 

• Like 1

10mm is a fun cartridge, and IMO the Glocks are currently the best handgun platforms for it. I think the choice among the 20, 29, and 40 mostly depends on how you intend to use them.    The 40 will get the most stock performance out of the cartridge, but it is probably an open carry only option. The 20 and 29 can be concealed without much difficulty, so I think the 20 is probably the best overall option. There are several aftermarket barrel options for all of them, so there are options to expand their usefulness. I can’t provide any advice on using red dots with them, but they sure are fun to shoot. 

The Glock 20 is an awesome 10mm. Actually, Glock is a wonderful platform for the 10mm with the 29, 20, and 40.  I know a few people that hate Glocks but own a 20 because it is such an awesome 10mm. 
I had a 20 about 10 years ago and sold it to a good friend.  I meant to immediately replace it with a 20 or a 40 if they went into production but ultimately went to a 1911 in 10mm and then a revolver in 10mm.  For capacity, reliability, durability, and price the Glock 20, 29, 40 really cant be beat. 

I bought a 20 and a 29 at the same time a few years back. I gave my son the 29 because I have 3XL hands which didn't bode well for the 29 even with extensions. My 20 is my "fun gun" for shooting full power 10mm loads. I carry Sig P320 in .357 Sig for SD. It has never jammed on me, and I've had it for several years. I load some SD rounds for my son that are more powerful than the .40 but not full power 10mm either. Kind of a happy compromise for him in his SD gun. My only gripe about the Glock is that I get Glock finger after shooting it. My trigger finger sliding on the inside of the trigger guard gets irritated. Still, it's my fun gun.

Thank you all for weighing in. You’ve convinced me. I just emailed my LGS asking they get a Blue Label Gen 4 G20 for me to go along with the G44 which came in on Friday. 

I’ll certainly be walking out of the shop with the two extremes; a .22 and a 10mm🤪

Edited by billyblazes

Might be too late for this to help, but I agree with RandyB.  One of my nephews has a EAA Witness 10mm, and although I was never particularly interested in the  Witness, I recently had a chance to shoot it, and that thing is nice.  I had a Colt Delta 10mm when they first came out and I wound up selling it partly because I didn't think it would hold up under heavy use (something that was subsequently borne out).  But that Witness handles the 10mm well...mainly because it's heavy as a boat anchor, but if you're buying a 10mm, you're not looking for a lightweight gun.  Straight shooting, well mannered, and reasonably affordable for a 10mm.  If you decide against the Glock, it's worth a look.

• Like 1

You could also look at a 2011 or Para clone in 10mm.  Rock Island makes the only Para clone that I would take a chance on, at this time.  The benefit with these is that there is an infinite variety of springs weights that you can swap to tune your gun to your favorite load.

1 hour ago, ken_mays said:

You could also look at a 2011 or Para clone in 10mm.  Rock Island makes the only Para clone that I would take a chance on, at this time.  The benefit with these is that there is an infinite variety of springs weights that you can swap to tune your gun to your favorite load.

But I believe I’m correct in saying there is no option to put a red dot on that platform and it does not lend itself to having the slide milled. 

Edited by billyblazes
On 3/31/2021 at 6:17 PM, billyblazes said:

But I believe I’m correct in saying there is no option to put a red dot on that platform and it does not lend itself to having the slide milled. 

Staccato and Nighthawk are two 2011 builders, at present, that come with optic cuts from the factory.   The slide can also be milled, but due to the narrow profile, an adapter plate is needed.

I have owned a G20 for about 4 years and I am extremely pleased.  The 10mm round is very powerful, as you well know and it takes self-defense and protection to another level.  I got it primarily for hip carry while riding my horses in the wild.  Sort of like the soldiers of WWII in a jeep with a 50 cal mounted in the back, ha.  About a year ago I had the slide milled to accommodate a Trijicon RMR.  Then I added a heavier spring and a KKM barrel.  Those chanfes just took it up to another level.  

Yes, I would like to own a 1911 platform in 10mm, too (perhaps the Kimber)  but for pure serviceability and shooting fun, you can't beat the G20.  

Enjoy yours...........

Glock 20 c.jpg

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Choatecav said:Yes, I would like to own a 1911 platform in 10mm, too (perhaps the Kimber)  but for pure serviceability and shooting fun, you can't beat the G20.  

You just parroted a lot of what I have discerned reading here and elsewhere. Namely that for a reliable 10mm handgun straight from the factory without needing fine-tuning from the user, the Glock is the way to go.

I very much like the refined look of the 1911 versions and maybe one of those will be a future purchase. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I don't have a Glock 20 anymore, but I loved the pistol and the round.  I think it is definitely the best option out there.  I know that there is a lot of love in 10mm in the 1911 world but for some reason I feel like research lead me to the fact that the 1911 wouldn't handle the really hot loads of 10mm.  I could be misremembering.  Either way, definitely look at what ammo you are buying because a lot of the factory stuff on most shelves is loaded to about .40s&w levels.  

• Like 1

Burnman remembered right...

Lotsa Colt Delta Elites were hammered to death with the original 10mm loads when they came out.  Thats the beauty of the Glock 20s... They are much sturdier...

leroy...

Three of the Blue Label dealers within driving distance of me have my name on their list to call when they get a Blue Label G20 in stock.  Now it’s just a matter of waiting.

Purely because I like the aesthetics of the Magnum Research 10mm 1911, I’ve been also eyeing some of those on Gun Broker. I have my upper number though and I keep getting outbid. So be it. 

I've also got EAA Witness in 10mm.  I also have conversion kits in .45 and .22 for it.  It's been reliable and durable.  Having had the G20, I prefer the Witness.  It handles full-power 10mm without any issues.

Keep in mind that most of the commercial 10mm loads are a bit less powerful than the original spec from the '80's.  I've been shooting Buffalo Bore 180gr JHP at 1350fps.  Most commercial ammo is 180gr at 1200fps.

You should also look at the Springfield XD-M. I bought one when it first came out, great gun. I much prefer the feel in hand when compared to the Glocks, at least the 20 and 29SF of which I owned both. 

just another option. 

• Like 3

Have owned a Glock 20 Gen4 and had the slide milled for RMR.  Several years later my wife bought me a Sig P220 Legion 10mm and I never shot the Glock 20 again and sold it.  Huge difference.  I would recommend checking into some of the various Sig P220's in 10mm.  Much more pleasant to shoot than the tupperware variety.