So did everyone keep their head above water?

• Authorized Vendor

After yesterday's freakin' Spring Storms did y'all make it through okay? We stayed in the storm shelter from 6PM till 1AM this morning basically for nothing. Yeah we had lots of rain but thankfully nothing much materialized here. Just thankful we have one. I hate spring storms!!!

d2de45d2-76fe-4f3b-96ab-163eca3496f1_screenshot.jpg

Edited by Grand Torino
  • Like 2

I was up till 2 keeping an eye on things, nasty stuff. Glad yall only had rain. I cant see just yet, but might have some wind damage. Our creek is up, making me late for a meet.

Edited by RED333
Because I can

We had heavy rains at times, on and off, but nothing more.  I was outside yesterday on the porch, and hear a roar off in the distance, no rain at the time, and then all of the surrounding trees (none in our yard) starting swaying to beat the band.  Had some wind gusts for 5 minutes or so, and then back to normal.  I've heard that roar before and it's never a good thing for sure.  

I saw the moon and lightning last night after dark, never seen that combo before.  This morning the open fields surrounding our house have a couple new small ponds that show up when we get rains like this.  Luckily  those ponds are 50-75 yds from the house,  and the sump pump is working just fine.  

It rained here, but not all that much. Our home phone rang on three different occasions last night, waking us up. It was automated calls from 911 tellimg is it was raining. Anybody know how I get off that list? My wife won’t let me ditch landline service.

• Like 1

I had 5" on the north side of Chapel Hill.  I have two creeks that merge behind my house.  Both are normally just slow running.  They were both running hard and about 4ft above normal for a few hours yesterday.  

Had a couple of high water spots on main roads between me and the bear creek exit on 65 this morning.  Lots of water around us.  I think we were right in the middle of the main path for the last two days.

I emptied my rain gauge at 9 last evening, 2 1/2", and again this morning 3".  Bradley Creek, across the road was up, but not over the road.  The 10 acre field, next to our home,  was under water up to our front yard.

So far no damage except several tree limbs down in our back yard. 

Headed to Church this morning to worship God and remember Jesus Christ and what He did for all mankind. Get-ye-some faith guys and gals! Nothing more important to mankind. 

• Like 3
  • Admin Team

Nashville did 130 swift water rescues last night. Four fatalities thus far - hopefully that’s it.

I just got back from a friend’s house who got three feet in his lower level when the water table came up.

Near his house, railroad ties had washed almost a half mile down from the tracks at Franklin Pike Circle.  

We were pretty lucky in Lascassas. The creek next to me did not encroach into my house or pool. Not much other than rain and lightening, so I count my blessings. I did thin that I was going to have to put floaties on my chickens. They seemed a little nervous.

I live by the Harpeth.  The river is normally in between the two woodlines in this thumbnail.  At about 1:15 in the video you can see a bend in the river to the top left and that it crosses almost across that farm to connect back on itself.   The wind was very high.  I have 4 other videos I took around 11am in the same area.  This one was at 4ish and the wind was very high.  I decided to bring my drone back before I lost it to wind.   During the 2010 flood it went above the bridge and the road.  Washed out a good bit of the road and it made going to work and getting home a lot more involved.  They are looking to replace the bridge soon with a suspension one I was told by the people who live at the corner.

Edited by Daniel
  • Like 1

I just drove to Nashville and back today. There was tons of flooding along I40 and lots of wrecks today even when it stopped raining. The Caney was extremely high. I don't drive that stretch of I40 often but I'm guessing that river hasn't been that high in a while. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WindHawk said:

Very interesting video.  I'm impressed with the smooth video when the drone was flying in high windy conditions.  What type drone are you flying?

Funnily enough a DJI Mavic Mini. The height I was flying at plus the gimbal stabilization helped it. I could see the battery indicator showing two marks. One for normal and a second for what the extra work it was putting in to stay steady was doing to drain the battery faster. The quality of the raw video is greater than the 1080p YouTube is outputting at. It should eventually give 2.7k. 

Edited by Daniel

Prayers for all that have had trouble with water this past week. We have been there and it is a devastating experience. Flooded twice here. Blessed enough to not loose the home, but have had lots of costs for repairs.We sat in front of the TV from roughly 6PM until 4:30 AM. That's when I couldn't stay awake any longer, but we believed the major threat to us was over.

Cooper Creek runs along one side of our property. It's usually just a run-off drain and is no problem. but when heavy rains hit, we are on high alert constantly. Front yard was covered with about 3" and the major part of the rear was more than that. But in the yards it receded quickly.

As of this morning still ponding in the low spots, and Cooper still has a very strong flow at about 2 feet in depth.

Water is a wonderful thing. Life giving. But also a fearful thing as well.

We don't control water. We think we do. But when it's loose and unfettered...get out of the way!

Again prayers for all who lost homes or property, and to those who went out to help others. Amen.

We sit at just about 900 ft of elevation so no risk of flooding at home. The yard is a sponge though, just at 5 inches Saturday and over 7 inches total last week. The previous round of storms had brought a confirmed F2 less than a mile away but thankfully is left us without damage, just relocated a few pieces of outdoor furniture around the yard. 

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Lightning and tornadoes are difficult things to get away from in Tennessee, but I've never understood why someone would build or buy a home in a flood prone area.

Many don't start out that way. Where I was a LEO there was a creek that had never flooded for the many decades that the old-timers recalled. That was until large new neighborhoods sprang up that were in the watershed of the creek. All those houses, driveways, streets and sidewalks covered up most of the ground that would normally soak-up the rainwater. Next thing we know the creek was flooding every year. The bitch part for the residents living near the creek was that they were now in a flood plane where there wasn't one before. They couldn't sell their homes nor was there any recourse for them because the neighborhoods were built in a different city.

• Like 4
  • Admin Team

In Nashville, underground water is as big a as problem as the stuff on the surface. All the caves underground do weird stuff.

We’ve got a room at church that will take on water if the Cumberland goes above a certain level - even though we’re miles from the river.  A few years ago during a particularly heavy rain event, I drilled a hole in the concrete floor and water shot up like a fountain and hit the ceiling.

You never want an engineer to look at your issue and say, “man, I have no idea. That really sucks.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, E4 No More said:

Many don't start out that way. Where I was a LEO there was a creek that had never flooded for the many decades that the old-timers recalled. That was until large new neighborhoods sprang up that were in the watershed of the creek. All those houses, driveways, streets and sidewalks covered up most of the ground that would normally soak-up the rainwater. Next thing we know the creek was flooding every year. The bitch part for the residents living near the creek was that they were now in a flood plane where there wasn't one before. They couldn't sell their homes nor was there any recourse for them because the neighborhoods were built in a different city.

Very similar situation it is.