Gas grill suggestions

It seems that every few years I am buying a new gas grill because the old one has completely rusted out. We used to have a local factory who made high quality gas grills, but it is no longer in business, and I was too tight to buy one when they were around.

Can someone direct me to a gas grill that won't rust out in a year or two? I don't want bluetooth or a heated handle, just something that isn't rust next year.

• Admin Team

I’ve always been a fan of Weber grills - and had a Genesis C model for 20 years.  We entertain a lot - and there’s no telling how many thousand burgers I cooked on that grill.  I replaced the internal diffusers and what not twice - but it was a great grill.

At the end of its useful life, I wanted to buy another one, but couldn’t bring myself to do it. The steel tariffs added about $150 to the cost and I just couldn’t talk myself into it.

I’m glad I didn’t.

I’ve got a BIg Green Egg and use it a bunch, but wanted the convenience of a gas grill that you can just turn on and grill.

My mind was made up for me when Lowe’s put their Pit Boss pellet grills on clearance last year.  It’s not gas - but it’s just as easy - and you get that wood fired taste.

What really sold me (other than the fact that it was about half the cost of the Weber) was the thickness of the steel, the obvious build quality, and how well thought out it was. Both Publix and Kroger carry multiple varieties of pellets, so I gave it a shot.

I love just being able to turn it on and set the dial to anything from basically a cold smoke all the way up to 500F. I’ve smoked briskets for 14 hours and not needed to refill the hopper.

I can’t say enough good things about it.

This is the one I have: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pit-Boss-Pro-Series-820-sq-in-Black-and-Chestnut-Pellet-Grill/1000601215

• Like 1

Another vote for a pellet grill. I bought a Camp Chef last year and love it. Like Mac said it has the ease of use as propane but with more flavor. I got one with the tech package and I can change my temp and smoke levels from anywhere with my phone. It is nice to be able to monitor a brisket when I run to the store. 
pulled these ribs off the grill a couple of hours ago. 
5-A14776-A-77-E2-4-BA4-9-C85-442-A77-F53

• Love 1
  • Wow 1

Only grill I have owned for the past 20 years was a stainless Charm Glow. Rebuilt the burners once in that time just a couple years ago. Use it 3 - 4 times per week. 

Been looking at something for the camper and research has led me to the Camp Chef Explorer two or three burner. I like it because it and the other Camp Chef models are modular. You can get a griddle, grill or even a pizza oven. They also get great reviews on whatever your preferred site is. 

Based on that same research the pellet grills above are great options. The Pit Boss and Camp Chef are both well reviewed. 

Good luck and let us know what you get!

my brother has two green eggs, the small one and next size up.  His son and SIL have one or more green eggs as well.  

I have owned Weber gas grills for the last 30+ yrs, rebuilt a couple of them as the hood and bottom portion were still in great condition, so I got the rebuild parts from weber for each of them after 10 or so yrs of weekly use, or more.  I currently have a Weber Genesis LXII that I found at a discount store in pieces (NIB but no box LOL) for $100, and a natural gas model as well.  These retail for over $1000, so...only thing missing was the  grates, I called Weber to order some, they said no, because it was new, they shipped the grates free.  This grill is huge, way too big for just the wife and I, but for $100, I could not pass on it.  I use it but don't like the XXXXL size, but it cooks great.  I also have a Weber Q for the back porch, and it fits in the TT as well.  LOL.

For gas I have had a Charm Glo stainless for close to 20 years. I bought new grates, heat shields, and burners for it 5 years ago. That essentially "rebuilt it" after the first 14 or 15 years. Still going strong. 

For Charcoal / Wood I have the steel version of an Egg / Komodo grill. Specifically an Akorn. I grew up on clay and ceramic Komodo style grills/smokers from Japan. I will probably splurge on a Big Green Egg or Primo when my Akorn Komodo gives up the ghost. They are just about impossible to beat. Efficient and you can run them from 180 up to about 700 with ease. From low and slow to pizza oven with the same grill. 

• Admin Team

Yeah, it weird.  We all know that $99 charbroil is really going to disappoint you.  

I think the key to a gas grill in my mind - is that if they make much of anything besides grills - you should just move on.

Or, you can think about it like this.  Go down the grill isle at your local big box store or someplace like academy sports.  Who do they stock replacement parts for?  Weber will have a whole section - because they're meant for you to be able to replace parts on.  Anything steel that goes through heat cycles like that is eventually going to rust. So, choose a maker that's going to let you replace those parts - preferably without having to special order them.

• Like 2

I went through a similar process last fall.  I also had a Weber Genesis Gold C that I finally decided it was time to retire after 20 years.  It actually still cooked fine, but it was looking a bit rough.  I have a Kamado Joe (basically a BGE with a couple of better features (sorry, had to take a jab at my BGE brothers :)), but I still wanted a propane grill for quick cooks.  I ruled out a pellet grill simply because most don't sear as well.

I was similar to you in that I wanted a good grill, but didn't want things like side burners, etc.  I did want stainless burners and ideally grates.  Long story short, I ended up with a special version made for Ace that had everything I wanted, but it didn't have the stainless grates.  I ended up replacing the porcelain grates with "grill grates" which are aluminum grates that a lot of people swear by. 

It wasn't the cheapest grill, but I expect it to last a fair amount of time.  This is the one I got.  They also make one without the extra sear burner for a bit less.  Best part was they delivered it assembled completely free.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/gas-grills/8017320

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team
9 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

I went through a similar process last fall.  I also had a Weber Genesis Gold C that I finally decided it was time to retire after 20 years.  It actually still cooked fine, but it was looking a bit rough.  I have a Kamado Joe (basically a BGE with a couple of better features (sorry, had to take a jab at my BGE brothers :)), but I still wanted a propane grill for quick cooks.  I ruled out a pellet grill simply because most don't sear as well.

I was similar to you in that I wanted a good grill, but didn't want things like side burners, etc.  I did want stainless burners and ideally grates.  Long story short, I ended up with a special version made for Ace that had everything I wanted, but it didn't have the stainless grates.  I ended up replacing the porcelain grates with "grill grates" which are aluminum grates that a lot of people swear by. 

It wasn't the cheapest grill, but I expect it to last a fair amount of time.  This is the one I got.  They also make one without the extra sear burner for a bit less.  Best part was they delivered it assembled completely free.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/gas-grills/8017320

I wish the BGE folks would take a tip from Komodo Joe and upgrade to stainless hardware.

Oh, and that rotisserie attachment is awesome. It’ll fit the egg too.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Hozzie said:

I think that might work! I do occasionally use the side burner for shrimp boil or when the electricity is out.

Edited by gregintenn

I went with a Broilmaster when my old one crapped out.

The last grill had all the features, rotisserie, indirect heat, infrared sear grill, blah blah blah  never used any of it  

The Broilmaster is simply a grill, but very well made. Cast aluminum housing, stainless steel parts, lifetime warranty.  I expect this one to outlast me. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Snaveba said:

The Broilmaster is simply a grill, but very well made. Cast aluminum housing, stainless steel parts, lifetime warranty.  I expect this one to outlast me. 

i went with the Broilmaster as well but for natural gas, absolutely love it, great warranty.

• Like 1
On 3/30/2021 at 11:57 AM, Hozzie said:

Where does the LP tank mount? Does it just sit on the ground beside the grill?

• Admin Team
11 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Where does the LP tank mount? Does it just sit on the ground beside the grill?

There’s a hanger on the right side of the grill that keeps it a few inches off the ground.

Webers typically have this sliding gauge with a spring that’ll indicate roughly how full your tank is - or at least that’s the intent. It might work fine if you keep your grill inside. On every grill I’ve ever owned, it indicates full until is flat out empty. YMMV.

On the linked model, it looks like they sort of hide it behind that side panel.  You can see the tank if you look closely in a few of the pictures. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I looked at them at Ace this morning. I may get one of the stainless steel models with a side burner. Ace didn't have those. I think Lowe's carries them.

If you can live with black, the absolute best value Weber is the SE-335.   Here is a good site that reviews and explains why.  

https://www.bbqguys.com/weber-grills/genesis-ii-se-335-special-edition-propane-gas-grill-black-61016201-2019

I was going to get this but really didn’t want the side burner.  I was also looking for all stainless originally.  If this was made in a stainless top I probably still would have bought it.  

Any major retailer including Ace, etc can order it.  

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1