Stupid question, what does the new carry "law" do to traditional carry permits??

Does nothing for me. Had my permit since you could get them and i have no intentions of letting it expire. Keep in mind CC in TN doesn't carry reciprocity to another state so if you travel and want to carry you'll need a permit. At least that's how I understand it.

• Like 9
20 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Nothing really. If you want to carry in other states who recognize a Tennessee permit, you sill still meed it. I have a lifetime permit.

DING... DING... DING.... We have a winner...!  

Thanks Brother...

leroy...

22 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Nothing really. If you want to carry in other states who recognize a Tennessee permit, you sill still meed it. I have a lifetime permit.

And last time I checked the TN permit is one of the best in the country for total number of states we can carry in. I still renew my FL permit too. The TN permit allows you to carry in around 37 states. https://handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, joe4vol said:

If someone has the new concealed permit are they allowed to open carry now?

No.  The new law does not take effect until July 1st, after the Governor signs it.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Garufa said:

No.  The new law does not take effect until July 1st, after the Governor signs it.

What about July 2?  I didn’t word my question very well. I have a lifetime enhanced permit so it doesn’t change anything for me. I was just wondering. 

2 hours ago, joe4vol said:

What about July 2?  I didn’t word my question very well. I have a lifetime enhanced permit so it doesn’t change anything for me. I was just wondering. 

It could theoretically put a concealed carry permit holder in a curious position but I’m going to just assume they’ll be fine.  I really don’t know to tell you the truth.  Haven’t studied up on it.

On 3/31/2021 at 9:21 AM, joe4vol said:

If someone has the new concealed permit are they allowed to open carry now?

If you have a carry permit in TN, you've always been able to open carry.  There is no requirement under TN state law to keep the handgun concealed.

The new law once it goes into effect July 1st will allow any non-prohibited adult over 21 (18-20 military or honorably discharged) to carry a handgun both openly and concealed in in public.  The language of the current law does pose issues for parks and greenways, so keeping you permit handy wouldn't be a bad idea until we get an AG opinion or a 'fix it' bill comes along to clarify that issue.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, JayC said:

If you have a carry permit in TN, you've always been able to open carry.  There is no requirement under TN state law to keep the handgun concealed.

Wrong.  The concealed handgun carry permit introduced last year requires the handgun be concealed at all times.  The enhanced carry permit allows open carry.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Garufa said:

Wrong.  The concealed handgun carry permit introduced last year requires the handgun be concealed at all times.  The enhanced carry permit allows open carry.

Sorry, I didn't quote both of his responses, in the second response he clearly indicated he had an enhanced permit.  So he's always been able to carry both openly and concealed with that permit.

• Like 2