Colt Single Action Army, .45 Colt, 7.5-inch barrel, unfluted cylinder

Whisper

Sold

This one comes with a bit of a story, so bear with me.

I've always liked the look of unfluted revolver cylinders and thought it would be fun someday to have a Colt SAA with an unfluted cylinder.  One day in the early 1990s, I ran across this one.  It's a Colt Horse Pistol Special Edition -- a .45 Colt with 7.5-inch barrel and gold Colt logo inlaid on the top strap.  Third generation, made in 1984.  Depending on which reference book you read, there were either 198 or 250 of these guns made.  There were two variations -- some had rosewood grips and some had ivory, and some had traditional fluted cylinders and some had unfluted.  As you can see, this gun is unfluted with the rosewood grips, which have inlaid grip medallions and a "blind" grip screw (i.e., the screw head is visible on one grip but the other end of the screw doesn't go through the other grip).  A nice fancy touch.

This gun would have cost a fortune except for two things -- it originally came with a wooden box, which had been lost, and it had been fired by the previous owner, which dismays many collectors.   This was fine with me because I was planning to shoot it anyway and now I could do so without any concern for depreciating its value additionally.  So I bought the gun, and I've enjoyed shooting it occasionally over the years, even in a few Cowboy Action matches, although I always was a bit nervous in matches because I wanted to treat this commemorative more gently than, say, a stainless Ruger.

But now I've probably not fired it in 20 years, and it's time to move it to a new home and reinvest the money in something else I'll shoot more regularly.  So, here it is for sale.

Now comes the difficult part.  This gun is in great condition overall, but it does have a flaw -- there's a wear line around part of the cylinder, similar to a turn line from the bolt, but close to the front of the cylinder. I have a theory about how it got there, but that's not relevant now.  It doesn't go all the way around the cylinder, so it's not visible in all the photos, but I have included one photo that depicts it at its worst.  This was there when I bought the gun and so I didn't care about it, since I was going to shoot it myself and figured it might get more scratched up anyway.  But it didn't, so that flaw remains the gun's worst imperfection.  I've considered trying to touch it up, but I am not confident that touch-up bluing would do an acceptable job on this beautiful unfluted cylinder, and I've considered sending  just the cylinder back to Colt and having it reblued.  Maybe I'll try that if it doesn't sell.  But rather than go to all that trouble I've decided to offer it as it is, figuring that perhaps another buyer will be satisfied with it, just as I was when I purchased it.

So here it is.  Looking a prices of other Colt single actions, I think $1,000 should be an attractive price, but maybe I'm wrong.  Feel free to argue with me.  Anyway, the buyer should be a Tennessee resident legally able to purchase handguns, and willing to meet in the Nashville-Murfreesboro area.   Trades also considered.

Thanks for looking,

Whisper

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived