Front sight install for RIA 1911 issue

spacer.png

I bought a set of Meprolight night sights for my RIA 1911. The rear sight went on without much issue. The front sight however was a different story.  Even though these sights are for a Rock Island, I had to do quite a bit of filing on the bottom of the sight in order to get it to fit into the dovetail. After several back and forth of test fitting, filing, test fitting, etc. I was able to get it in enough to use my sight pusher. Got the sight on but got to noticing a small amount of daylight between the dovetail of the slide and sight on the bottom side.  I dunno if somehow I was filing the sight crooked but was trying to keep it straight as I took material off the bottom. I am now kinda worried about any moisture getting in that area and causing rust. I didn't use any locktite to hold it in place. Should I remove the sight and put some locktite in the dovetail and reinstall and maybe that would help fill that gap? I guess I should've let a pro install it instead of trying to be a diy gunsmith.

Yeah you absolutely filed your sight at an angle. There is a chance that your sight will end up breaking, depending on how much you shoot, but it probably won't. for future reference next time don't use a file. Use some sandpaper on a flat surface and work the sight applying pressure straight down from the top. 

• Like 1
On 4/1/2021 at 12:30 PM, lock n' load said:

Okay. Thanks for the tip. Should I use a fine grit sandpaper?

It really doesnt matter. Just take your time and check the fit often. 

Edited by dlmeadows
  • Like 1

Stuff like what you have is common enough. Personaly, what I would do is take the sight back out, clean the filed off spot with easy start spray and flux it a tad and tin the cut by adding some soft solder. Now re file the solder off but go more carefully leaving it to fill your gap. Press it back in and now you have a solid fit for good.

Edited by xtriggerman
  • Like 1