Anyone have or shot a Keltec P17?

• 2 weeks later...

I was beginning to think nobody had shot one. I certainly understand issues happen with firearms, try to read reviews before plunking down the $$. My Beretta APX didn't get to the 15th round when it blew the extractor off and into my index knuckle. I have put about 500 rounds threw it after getting it back, another 500 and I will trust it. I always say if it is made with human hands it is not a matter of if, but when it will break. Keep us up to date when you get it back.

I have one and love it.  I shot about 1000 rounds without cleaning to see how far I could get without problems.  It was not flawless but did real well.  I finally cleaned it after roughly 1000 rounds.  Best 22 LR handgun going for the money IMO.

2 minutes ago, billmeek said:

For me, the Taurus TX22 wins the best 22LR for the money. 

Fair.  But for $199 with three mags the P17 is a smoking deal and I'm a big Taurus fan. 

I found a TX22 yesterday for $250 and didn't get it but may pick it up soon if it's not gone when I go back.  The high dollar one ($400 something) doesn't interest me.

• Like 1

With today gun prices, I don't think you'll easily find the P17 for MSRP or below.  This is the best price ($ 349 + $20- shipping) I've seen today:

https://www.preppergunshop.com/kel-tec-p17-22lr-3-16rd-magazines-threaded-barrel-manual-safety-green

For the same money, I can pickup the TX22 from PSA:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/taurus-tx22-22-lr-pistol-1-tx22141.html

Now if I could only find the TX22 Competition Conversion Kit in stock anywhere!

• 1 month later...

I bought one recently and have put over 300 rounds through it and really love this little gun.  TBH I did not expect to like this gun so much.  I bought it just as a little gun to take new shooters to the range and not have them be freaked out about heavy guns or harsh recoil.  To my surprise I really like this gun a lot.  For me it is very accurate and so far 100% reliable.  I am planning to buy another as I have a disorder that compels me to get 2 (or more) of any gun that I like (common problem in the gun community).

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

All, has anybody put a Holosun, Burrus, Trijicon, or some type of optic on a KELTEC, P 17 yet. I know the top of the slide is threaded with two screws installed but I was curious as to the footprint and what it would except without going, and buying some form of adapter plate to mount the optic on.

I called KEL TEC and spoke to customer service, and the lady said to her knowledge she had no information as far as an adapter or what optics would fit the top of the slide. 

I can verify a Burris Fastfire 3 does NOT line up with the screws on top of the slide.  The hole spacing on the Burris is too wide.  It seems as though some mini-RDS might fit, but I don't have any to try.

My P17 has been typically reliable for a .22 auto, maybe 1 failure to eject out of 10 magazines.   Generally the case will get extracted but wind up wedged somehow in the ejection port.  I did have keyholing problems with Federal bulk pack, but I haven't seen it happen with anything else.   The rifling does look shallow to me, so maybe it's a bullet diameter issue.

What’s the Monty python holy grail line I’m looking for?

Saw a guy on you tube a long time ago with a Romeo on one but don’t recall the result.   Try that search.  P17 Romeo

now the cp33 rocks and top rail, but I can’t shove it in my pants.  

if you do it, post the results.  u do u and ignore the y 

Sportsman guide had these earlier today for $210 w/ shipping (not sure on tax to TN) for non members. That was pre-covid pricing, just checked but now they’re sold out and sportsman is notorious for taking orders without having stock. Came w/ three mags.

I picked up a TX-22 mid covid, has seen a few rounds and probably went 800 or so without cleaning. After break-in and cleaning it eats my worst ammo like a wrangler/SA revolver would.

I was able to snag a comp slide and added their cheap dot during Black Friday for 20% off, w a couple of mags and +5 extensions. If you were interested I’d create a shopping cart and add in email and play the wait a day or two game to receive an email w a coupon.

https://shoptaurus.com/products/taurustx-22-competition-conversion-kit.html

It appears the comp is in stock now, I had to join their email list as I was waiting for it for at least 4 months to restock.

dot: https://shoptaurus.com/products/bushnell-rxs-100-reflex-sight.hthttps://shoptaurus.com/products/bushnell-rxs-100-reflex-sight.html

I thought about buying the keltec, then remembered I had more .22 range guns than brain cells. And like ohell said the cp33 is a ton of fun for a plinker.

TX-22 definitely gets taken out every time, no questions asked. Fun to shoot on the cheap and warmup. (They also just dropped a subcompact this morning for around $310, I know dealer pricing is $271, and suggested MSRP is $399).  Hope this helps someone!

• Like 1