FLAME SUIT ON

OK, I'm not trying to start a holy war and I understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion...

That said....

I recently posted a topic in GENERAL CHAT concerning the opportunity I had to purchase primers.  Opinions were mixed but generally leaning towards the area where the seller would be ripping me off at the offered prices of $250 per 1000 primers.

Again, I'm not calling anybody out, and as I stated above, everybody is entitled to their own opinion.  Where this starts to go sideways for me is the perception that anybody who is charging more than pre-2021 prices is a scammer or ripping people off.

Not that it matters, but the person I referred to who has the primers for sale did not approach me, and does not have them for sale anywhere else...  It's just somebody I know and the topic came up.

So that brings me to here...

Do I personally believe that reloading components will become available again over time—YES

Do I think those components will hit 2019 prices in the near future—PROBABLY NOT

Do I believe that people should have anticipated this current situation and taken precautions before it came upon us—YES  (and as I mentioned in the other thread, I don't need the primers, it was just an available option)

Do I think that people charging Gunbroker prices are all scammers—NOT NECESSARILY.  Let me clarify to say the that everybody on this board...  and I mean everybody...  probably knows people who neckbearded 22 ammo, or line up at Academy...  or show up at Wal-Mart before 7:00 AM just to score ______ (fill in the blank with ammo or components)

Some of those people turn around and sell those items at 5 or 10 times what they paid.  Is that ripping people off or catering to the current market?  I think everybody has to make their own call on that one.

As I've already stated several times, TGO is full of people of different preparedness levels, different philosophies, different life situations....  and different opinions.  I have personally (and I'll bet many of you have as well) ...given...  not sold or bargained or traded...  but given away ammo and components to other people who for whatever reason were unable to afford current prices or couldn't acquire them due to lack of availability.  I've also helped out some fellow TGO members with ammo they couldn't locate... for the same 2018 price that I paid. 

I'm not a martyr, and I'm not looking for a pat on the back.

But I'm damn happy that I was able to give a single mom at my work a brick of 22's for her kid after he got his first rifle for his 12th birthday this past February, but couldn't find any ammo for it.

Could I have sold that brick to her instead of giving it?  Sure.

Could I have listed it on Gunbroker for $200 and sold it?  Sure.

But that's not me, and I suspect that's not a lot of you either.

But does that automatically make the people who are selling things at current market prices either assholes or scammers? 

Well if it does, maybe we should reevaluate our membership here and on other related forums.  A quick look back through the classifieds shows some good deals...  But also some "buck a round" 5.56, 9mm and others...

End of rant.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I thought on the thread you were referencing, you asked us what we would do. That made me assume you wanted our opinions. I really don’t understand the point of this thread.

I did, and it was an honest Q.  It was the rip off and scam replies that made me post this... Again, not that those replies are wrong or out of place... 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I don’t think it would matter whether I had stocked up or not. I’d throw rocks before I paid a quarter apiece for primers. 

Not trying to add fuel to the fire, but the laws of supply and demand have proved a difficult road to navigate for many people over the years.  Not saying it's fair or desirable, but other people WILL pay "X" amount for "X" product, and their choice affects our ability to purchase those items as well.

I look at it this way, right or wrong.  If you sell your stash at market prices, then that is between you and the buyer.  But, if you purposefully clean out the LGS or other sporting goods store at normal prices just to turn around and sell them at market prices then you are a douchbag.  You are not adding any value to the sale whatsoever.  You just took away someone's opportunity to purchase at near normal (cause it's going up everywhere) just to line your pockets. 

• Like 9
4 hours ago, leafinthewind said:

Let me clarify to say the that everybody on this board...  and I mean everybody...  probably knows people who neckbearded 22 ammo, or line up at Academy...  or show up at Wal-Mart before 7:00 AM just to score ______ (fill in the blank with ammo or components)

You paint with a BIG BROAD brush, the same way the commies paint us white, God believing, gun toting people as evil! 

leafinthewind,  If you haven't figured it out yet, if you ask for opinions on this board, you will get 'em. We got quite a few very opinionated, grumpy old farts (including me) that will tell you exactly what they think. Not all these opinions will be what you want or expect.  

6 hours ago, leafinthewind said:

Let me clarify to say the that everybody on this board...  and I mean everybody...  probably knows people who neckbearded 22 ammo, or line up at Academy...  or show up at Wal-Mart before 7:00 AM just to score ______ (fill in the blank with ammo or components)

Actually, I don't personally know anybody who has done this. I sure haven't. But I guess I'm one of those evil hoarders as I've made it a practice to keep a good stock of ammo and components on hand for many years now.  I actually have plenty to ride out the shortage.  However, I'm not trying to sell it to the unprepared at scalper prices either. 

No offense, but I suggest you grow yourself some thicker skin.  😉

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 5
57 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

leafinthewind,  If you haven't figured it out yet, if you ask for opinions on this board, you will get 'em. We got quite a few very opinionated, grumpy old farts (including me) that will tell you exactly what they think. Not all these opinions will be what you want or expect.  

Actually, I don't personally know anybody who has done this. I sure haven't. But I guess I'm one of those evil hoarders as I've made it a practice to keep a good stock of ammo and components on hand for many years now.  I actually have plenty to ride out the shortage.  However, I'm not trying to sell it to the unprepared at scalper prices either. 

No offense, but I suggest you grow yourself some thicker skin.  😉

No offense taken, as it's not my skin at all... Just saying that there seems to be a double standard when it comes to prices.  To be clear, I PERSONALLY have no interest in paying 100.00 for 100 rounds of 9mm or 556... or 250 for 1k of primers...but there are those who...due to lack of foresight or situation...may choose to do just that.  And that is just one of the reasons the current supply/demand situation will keep feeding itself.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, leafinthewind said:

No offense taken, as it's not my skin at all... Just saying that there seems to be a double standard when it comes to prices.  To be clear, I PERSONALLY have no interest in paying 100.00 for 100 rounds of 9mm or 556... or 250 for 1k of primers...but there are those who...due to lack of foresight or situation...may choose to do just that.  And that is just one of the reasons the current supply/demand situation will keep feeding itself.

Don't you just love capitalism.....😋

• Like 2

I know I'm the new guy here but I figure my opinion is worth as much as any here. I've been through many of these political motivated anarchies. It does nothing but pit us against each other and we are foolish enough to play right into their hands. Yes we create a false shortage which makes the Ammo and all reloading components skyrocket in price. Just like a run on fuel shortages did in the past. WE are all responsible for this. Believing that any one person can control the second amendment, that's not the way the system works. 

If WE continue to create this false shortage WE all pay the price. This too will pass and the Ammo issue is self correcting. WE as good stewards must share what WE can spare and at the cost of what you have in it. I'm not saying you should give it away. 

Just remember who WE were during this issue and by all means remember who THEY were while gouging for extra cash. 

I can only only hope that if this were a food shortage WE would all act differently.

• Like 5

Ya know, I get the idea and where you're coming from @leafinthewind. The problem is thats a very naieve view of how the world IS. 

Take off the rose colored glasses man. Most people are a$$holes! We're talking about ammo, not food! And despite the trend in society at large, nobody reading this is in imminent life threatening danger.

You can argue wether action A is morally permissable, but nothing in this life is obligated to follow your definition of moral (regardless of the consensus). 

If someone charges price $###.## for a product and someone else pays it, why are you even in the conversation? 

The internet is a fascinating place because nobody ever gets punched in the mouth.  You can flame people about any old thing that chafes you the wrong way that particular morning, and never have to atone for it (case in point!) I learned a looooooooong time ago to write out missives just like yours, and then delete it.  Does nobody any good, least of all you. What you're doing here is essentially arguing that capitalistic pricing of ammunition is amoral. GTFO. You'd rather live in a country where the goobermint dictates what a 'fair price' would be? We have those places, you can go. If two private parties want to exchange goods and/or services its none of my damned business. Period.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, derf said:

WE are all responsible for this. 

I do not feel like I have any responsibility for this. I have not bought or sold the first box of ammo during this shortage. I prepare for times like this so I don't have to play that game. If you think I am, please explain.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, -boatman- said:

I do not feel like I have any responsibility for this. I have not bought or sold the first box of ammo during this shortage. I prepare for times like this so I don't have to play that game. 

Yep. The Kenyan Commie taught me all about ammo shortages. I stocked up for a rainy day.

• Like 4
15 hours ago, Raoul said:

Bottom line here is do what you gotta or need to do. Remember, opinions are like a body part. Some of them stink.

Yep! What Cheaper Than Dirt did to me in 2007 was straight out of a prison shower scene.  I haven’t been without a surplus of supplies since. 

• Like 7