(Not a) Mass shooting in Knoxville!

16 minutes ago, chances R said:

THIS ^^  Unless you can change hearts   Unless you can change the 'snitch' mind-set   Unless you can change the drug/gang alure      We will continue to morph into a Chicago/Memphis/Nashville situation

This seems to happen to every city once it reaches a certain population. I suppose the closer together people have to live, the meaner and more dependent they become.

14 hours ago, TGO David said:

TGO ought to flood the media websites and social media with criticism. Just saying. 

As hard as traditional media is scrambling to hold onto their dwindling piece of the pie, I doubt that it will do much good. I'm convinced that they know it's crappy journalism. Get there first, even if it's wrong. If you are wrong, nobody will remember.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Seems to be the outcome was decided by the shooter.  So be it.

Until people in the communities decide they want different, this is what they are going to get.  The fix has to come from within.  That takes too much responsibility and commitment.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, TGO David said:

TGO ought to flood the media websites and social media with criticism. Just saying. 

With all due respect, I don't think criticizing news articles or other commenters who are reacting to a school shooting will do anything but push folks further away from the interests of law-abiding gun owners.

Perhaps we should recognize the bravery and utility of SROs in protecting our children, instead?  This was a textbook (pun intended) example of the role of the School Resource Officer in creating a safe place for kids to learn.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Moderators
15 minutes ago, Swamp ash said:

With all due respect, I don't think criticizing news articles or other commenters who are reacting to a school shooting will do anything but push folks further away from the interests of law-abiding gun owners.

Perhaps we should recognize the bravery and utility of SROs in protecting our children, instead?  This was a textbook (pun intended) example of the role of the School Resource Officer in creating a safe place for kids to learn.

Dungeons And Dragons Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Chucktshoes said:

Dungeons And Dragons Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

Because simply criticizing an evolving headline (if it is even the case) seems like a really minor point to argue and casts folks as insensitive and myopic.

PS. I never saw anything about a "Mass shooting" except here. Everything I read said "Multiple people shot", so I fail to see any real purpose to suggest the media was "wrong" or "sensationalizing" the story.🥠

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Swamp ash said:

Because simply criticizing an evolving headline (if it is even the case) seems like a really minor point to argue and casts folks as insensitive and myopic.

PS. I never saw anything about a "Mass shooting" except here. Everything I read said "Multiple people shot", so I fail to see any real purpose to suggest the media was "wrong" or "sensationalizing" the story.🥠

It was "Mass Shooting" everywhere on Facebook. It's icing on the cake for the gun control crowd. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators
49 minutes ago, Swamp ash said:

Then you didn’t see the story at the beginning. Not only was it mass shooting in the initial headlines, it was mass shooting all across the socials. I imagine the “if it bleeds it leads“ newsroom folks were quite disappointed when it turned out to be not what they were hoping.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Links2k said:

I’d like to give my opinion, and I don’t want to start an argument. What you are saying is reasonable and logical, but I’d like to ask a question. In the Douglass community in Memphis where I lived as a kid there are active neighborhood and alumni associations as well as individual street groups. They also have a group headed by Pastor Tory Wilson that uses donations to pay neighborhood youth to cut grass and reduce neighborhood blight. There are older residents who plant trees and gardens on vacant lots. The long time residents of that community have a lot of pride. 

Several years ago when the city closed all of the projects the city placed section8 recipients in almost every neighborhood in the city. Many of the them ended up in other low income neighborhoods including Douglass.  Despite regular community anti-violence rallies and Mr. D. Williams walking the streets nightly videoing anything that doesn’t look right this neighborhood is plagued by gun violence. 

So my question is what are the responsible residents of this neighborhood to when their homes get shot up for reporting suspicious and gang activity?  The long time residents are doing everything they can do to keep the neighborhood clean and gang free, but short of shooting it out with the gang bangers their hands are tied. 

It’s easy to say until the community decides to do something.  It’s another thing to be proactive and have your home shot up. In many cases people are living in homes that have been in the family for decades, some are elderly and  most can’t afford to move. So given these circumstances, what else can be done?

When he said from within, I took it as within the family (mom and dad) not the neighborhood. 

That is where I think the problem lies, or at least a good majority of it. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Then you didn’t see the story at the beginning. Not only was it mass shooting in the initial headlines, it was mass shooting all across the socials. I imagine the “if it bleeds it leads“ newsroom folks were quite disappointed when it turned out to be not what they were hoping.

Fair enough. I don't pay heed to social media nor lump it as news, either. 

41 minutes ago, Links2k said:

I’d like to give my opinion, and I don’t want to start an argument. What you are saying is reasonable and logical, but I’d like to ask a question. In the Douglass community in Memphis where I lived as a kid there are active neighborhood and alumni associations as well as individual street groups. They also have a group headed by Pastor Tory Wilson that uses donations to pay neighborhood youth to cut grass and reduce neighborhood blight. There are older residents who plant trees and gardens on vacant lots. The long time residents of that community have a lot of pride. 

Several years ago when the city closed all of the projects the city placed section8 recipients in almost every neighborhood in the city. Many of the them ended up in other low income neighborhoods including Douglass.  Despite regular community anti-violence rallies and Mr. D. Williams walking the streets nightly videoing anything that doesn’t look right this neighborhood is plagued by gun violence. 

So my question is what are the responsible residents of this neighborhood to when their homes get shot up for reporting suspicious and gang activity?  The long time residents are doing everything they can do to keep the neighborhood clean and gang free, but short of shooting it out with the gang bangers their hands are tied. 

It’s easy to say until the community decides to do something.  It’s another thing to be proactive and have your home shot up. In many cases people are living in homes that have been in the family for decades, some are elderly and  most can’t afford to move. So given these circumstances, what else can be done?

First, you have to honestly come to grips with why this happens in some communities and not others.

Second, you have to correct the differences between these two communities.

Until people get fed up and are willing to do this, nothing will change.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

First, you have to honestly come to grips with why this happens in some communities and not others.

Second, you have to correct the differences between these two communities.

Until people get fed up and are willing to do this, nothing will change.

Forget it! I asked a legitimate question seeking a resolution to an issue that could change lives, and you made it about me. I’ll remove my question.  Carry on!

• Haha 1
28 minutes ago, Links2k said:

Forget it! I asked a legitimate question seeking a resolution to an issue that could change lives, and you made it about me. I’ll remove my question.  Carry on!

Sir, that was a generic “you” and not personal at all. Simply replace “you” with “one” and carry on.

Edited by gregintenn
30 minutes ago, Links2k said:

My two cents. Section 8 may not be a bad solution, but it sure looks like it. The crime in those neighborhoods destroys everything around them. In most cases, good folks wind up fleeing because there isn't a clear solution.

It's one of those things that makes me hate the government. I can't help but believe that it could be managed much better than feeding the problem. Keeping people at the threshold of poverty with no way up just begs for some crime. I don't know if there is any answer. I do know that they ain't doing it right today.

• Like 2

Life in section 8 is very different than in your regular neighborhoods, I grew up with friends and acquaintances in many a "jets" and lived right across the street from one.  The problem is that when you get that many low income people all grouped up together, of any race as my peeps are Hispanic,  you get crime and an us against them mentality.  The government has tried to scatter those communities, but by then it has become a way of life for them and the crime spreads instead of stopping. 

The solution is to try and instill the values and work ethic required to succeed, but like others have said, it is something that needs to come from within, but the gov has worked hard at making them dependent on them and breaking up family units so there is nobody there to instill those values.  

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Swamp ash said:

Fair enough. I don't pay heed to social media nor lump it as news, either. 

I am a harsh critic of social media, and understand the desire to not a lump it in with news sources. The problem is that it is at odds with our current reality. Most people now get their news from social media instead of network news sources or print outlets. Is it to the detriment of society at large, absolutely. That said, it is the current state of affairs as it exists.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Links2k said:

You did ask a legitimate, thought provoking question.  Thankfully someone quoted it.  The response was not personal.

i’d wish you’d just put it back.  The more stories like that the better.  Doesn’t mean there’s ever going to be a solution but people need to know the reality.

• Like 8
13 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Most people now get their news from social media instead of network news sources or print outlets.

I don't trust social media, but I also have no faith in the reliability or honesty of network news or print outlets.  They are either producing click bait or have a political agenda. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

I am a harsh critic of social media, and understand the desire to not a lump it in with news sources. The problem is that it is at odds with our current reality. Most people now get their news from social media instead of network news sources or print outlets. Is it to the detriment of society at large, absolutely. That said, it is the current state of affairs as it exists.

I follow a lot of news sources on social media. The first I heard of the "mass shooting" was from a friend in St. Louis that is in media, like a bunch of my other friends. Just clearing up that I didn't get it from a meme

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 2
39 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

You might enjoy this...

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/opinion/2021/04/12/how-to-support-journalism-fight-against-misinformation-civility-tennessee/7198043002/

• Like 1
  • Moderators
8 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Ehhhhh, not so much. The idea of using government power to engage in guild protection actions and having any part in determining who is and isn’t a “legitimate” journalist sound a cure far scarier than the disease. 

• Like 4