Academy Sports

DJTC45

I went to the Rivergate Academy this morning, went to get a couple of accessories for my new pellet grill. While shopping I picked up an Otis Gun Cleaning Kit for my 9mm, I get in line and some poor fellow was trying to return something he bought. Well he was told that if he didn't have his receipt they were only going to give him a refund of half of what the item cost it was $30 total and they were only going to refund him $15.99, now to my check out experience. After he told them to shove it I go to check out, now I've been in line for 15minutes waiting on them to decide if they were going to refund his money, the check out lady starts to ring me up gets to the Otis Cleaning Kit and asks for my ID to buy it, well I lost it I asked her what she said cause I wasn't sure why she asked me for my ID. Well I'm probably not allowed back in there after I gave the manager a piece of my mind on how stupid it is to ask for ID when buying a gun cleaning kit. Oh well I won't shop there or any of their stores ever again.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
  • Angry 2

I get your frustration but there is a reason they say not to shoot the messenger. Check out lady, and even the store manager probably have zero decision making ability on that one. I'm sure that's a corporate policy. 

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I get your frustration but there is a reason they say not to shoot the messenger. Check out lady, and even the store manager probably have zero decision making ability on that one. I'm sure that's a corporate policy. 

It’s probably corporate policy and it’s ridiculous. It’s like having cashiers and greeters attempting to enforce mask mandates on the general public. 

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, DJTC45 said:

If that's their policy, I won't patronage their stores even if they had buy 1000rnds get 500 free. I'm old and cranky, just about had enough of the stupidity.

I haven’t been in there in quite a while. Not that I’m protesting them, I just haven’t recently had a reason to go.

DJTC45, I feel your pain brother. Next thing you know they will keep the Hoppe's 9 locked up behind the counter in the Adult section. I know one thing if the idiots in charge keep us from buying ammo online, this is the crazy crap we will be subjected to. I wonder if a mean ole black rifle case would require an ID also?? Where does it stop, the whole world has gone crazy!!

LOL! One day my son and I had sanded and were repainting a truck bumper. He was 17 at the time. As we ran out, I sent him to TSC for another spray can. He got ID’ed although everyone in the store knew him. Luckily, the guy behind him bought it for him.

There are definite upsides to large cooperations. There are also offsetting downsides. I’ve recently decided to shop local as often as I can.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

That's for sure, I never thought I would live long enough to see what's happening in this country. It's ridiculous what this day in age has come to, you need three different bathrooms  so you don't offend anyone, then if you say anything about it or say anything else about anything in general, they want to stone you for it. Even going to Kroger's for groceries is a an adventure for me, it's hell getting old I guess this Cancer diagnosis I got has made me just sit back and take a good hard look at life, and I have to say it's unbelievable how some people just get on my last nerve.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, DJTC45 said:

That's for sure, I never thought I would live long enough to see what's happening in this country. It's ridiculous what this day in age has come to, you need three different bathrooms  so you don't offend anyone, then if you say anything about it or say anything else about anything in general, they want to stone you for it. Even going to Kroger's for groceries is a an adventure for me, it's hell getting old I guess this Cancer diagnosis I got has made me just sit back and take a good hard look at life, and I have to say it's unbelievable how some people just get on my last nerve.

It really is sad what is happening to our country. Ive noticed that it’s really starting to make me cynical and sometimes invidious. I generally don’t care (and sometimes view it as necessary) if I offend these “modern” people that are trying to change our way of life.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, DJTC45 said:

Oh well I won't shop there or any of their stores ever again.

I am right there with you, Mt Juliet store refused to do a transfer from an out of state FFL seller for me.

I too feel that the world has gone nuts. Very comforting to have a place like this where we can commiserate and share our thoughts. Just think, soon they'll try to outlaw that, too.

I have found that 'speaking with my wallet' to be effective at making me feel better. I haven't gone into that place since they started their shenanigans with gun sales. Never will, either. Hope to see you in bankruptcy!

Yelling at the manager is pointless with big corporations like that. They don't have a choice in what the policy is, and failure to enforce could = losing their job. I will politely inform the salaried employee why I am leaving without purchasing the product, and leave it at that. "Amazon makes another sale!" I'll mention on my way out the door.

• Like 3

I guess I'll put up with a lot of crap from Academy.  Not that there has been any ammo on the shelf in the past year, but before ammo got scarce this time Academy was the only place around that kept ammo at a decent price.  (Especially since Walmart decided to pick and choose what calibers they are going to carry) Honestly, if they want to have some asinine rule that says that I have to show ID to buy fishing bobbers, I'll probably just do it and go about my day, I have bigger things to worry about. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

Yelling at the manager is pointless with big corporations like that. They don't have a choice in what the policy is, and failure to enforce could = losing their job. I will politely inform the salaried employee why I am leaving without purchasing the product, and leave it at that. "Amazon makes another sale!" I'll mention on my way out the door.

This is important.  When you decide not to patronize a store because of its statist policies, the store manager needs to know it.  And needs to know that you'll be sharing your experience on social media with all your friends.

Good job, Reefer.

Cheers,

Whisper

• Like 1

I really don't shop at my local Academy store much. But when I do go there, I've never had any problems. 

Have you checked with the Academy home office to see if this is, in fact, Corporate policy? You'd be surprised at some of the rules store managers make up for their personal little kingdom. If the manager is anti-gun, they can make all kinds of restrictions completely on their own. Or it could just be a manager who misinterprets corp policy.

I remember a few years ago a couple of Wal-Mart stores caught a bunch of flack for posting "No Guns" signs. Turns out that it was all the manager's idea and when corporate found out about it, they made them take the signs down. 

I didn't yell at the manager, we had a discussion and I decided right there and then I won't be back ever. 10-Ring that's your choice if you want to show your ID for anything they sell there, and your right there's more important things to worry about, but I'll spend my gun fund money as I see fit and it won't be at Academy Sports they can go pound sand.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Raoul said:

Midway is your friend.

Midway is no friend to gun enthusiasts. They have taken part in price gouging for ammo and components. $90+ dollars per 1000 primers when they had some in stock last month. That was before the hazmat shipping fees. 
You gouge on prices because of perceived shortages and you have lost my business. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, OldIronFan said:

Midway is no friend to gun enthusiasts. They have taken part in price gouging for ammo and components. $90+ dollars per 1000 primers when they had some in stock last month. That was before the hazmat shipping fees. 
You gouge on prices because of perceived shortages and you have lost my business. 

Well in all honesty it really doesn't matter one way or another to me. I'm sorta apocalyptic. I don't forsee needing much of anything for a while. 

More for you guys. 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

I too feel that the world has gone nuts. Very comforting to have a place like this where we can commiserate and share our thoughts. Just think, soon they'll try to outlaw that, too.

I have found that 'speaking with my wallet' to be effective at making me feel better. I haven't gone into that place since they started their shenanigans with gun sales. Never will, either. Hope to see you in bankruptcy!

Unlike some of you guys, I was never able to find much of anything I needed in their ammo stocks when I did stop in.

The last time I did buy ammo, it was a couple boxes of CCI Stingers, and they restricted me to 2 boxes at that. Ok. I sort of can live with the purchase restrictions. But what got me was the associate at the counter who had to walk me to the register and hand over the ammo to them for payment. Almost can understand that. But the clincher was when I was walked outside the store to be handed my purchase. 

Granted that was a couple of years ago, but I haven't been back since.

Not that I ever bought much from Academy anyway. Seems that I bought several aloha shirts from them once. Just thought the store more geared to the teens and young set than me.

• Like 1