Rifle Purchase by TN Property Owner But Non-Resident????

Jeb48

A friend of mine has a bought a house in TN and will be closing on it in a couple of months. He is moving from NY and wants to buy a rifle in TN before he has fully established his TN residency. The rifle is legal in TN but not in NY (lots of those). His question is after he has closed on the house so he can show property ownership in TN, can he buy a rifle that will stay in TN. He would still have his NY drivers license. I suggested just getting his TN drivers license but he will be living in both states for a while because of work and has reason not to give up his NY DL yet. 

So will an FFL transfer a legal rifle to a TN homeowner that is a resident of another state?

• Moderators

Residency is what matters. There are rare exceptions like folks stationed in the military can buy in their home of record and duty station location. 

I am always open to being corrected, but I don’t believe that it is legal for him to purchase and take possession of a firearm in Tennessee until he changes residency. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 2

Thanks for the input. Pretty much what I thought, but figured I should ask to be sure. 

My friend will be a good conservative addition to the state. He is even getting rid of some of his NYS compliant guns before moving to make room in his safes for after he gets down to a free state.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

TRADING POST NOTICE

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions.

TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is not a lobbying organization and has no affiliation with any lobbying organizations.  Beware of scammers using the Tennessee Gun Owners name, purporting to be Pro-2A lobbying organizations!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.