TGO turning into Armslist? (not really but)

Krull

Up until the most recent "scare" I have never had an issue with anyone doing what they say they are going to do on TGO.  Recently I have had a no show (guy is gone from TGO apparently), and an issue where someone has offered up a gun I was looking for then broke off communication completely when I asked for a price.  I guess its the times now.  I was raised to do what I said I was going to do when I said I was going to do it.  I have passed up higher offers on guns and accessories after I had verbally committed to a deal with another person, even on Armslist.  Its the right thing to do.  Sorry just venting a little.

Edited by Krull
  • Like 7

I haven't had that issue, but I would certainly leave negative feedback for someone that didn't show up.  That is about the only recourse we have.  If they post without a price listed, they are probably new to TGO so a good indication to not get your hopes up too much.  It is unfortunately a part of the current situation.  

On the other side, I have dealt with some new guys that have been great.  I feel it is important we don't lump them all in to one group, but certainly we need to hold all to our standards (at least when selling 🙂 ).

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 14
23 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

I do not think the TGO is changing. But I am a little wary of a new member with zero posts and zero feedback. However, there was a time that we all were in that boat. 

yea I agree, like I said just venting a little.  I'm not going to travel anywhere for anyone that hasnt been here for at least a year anymore.  I guess anything I sell from here on out will have that stipulation.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Krull said:

yea I agree, like I said just venting a little.  I'm not going to travel anywhere for anyone that hasnt been here for at least a year anymore.  I guess anything I sell from here on out will have that stipulation.

You buy from me, you come to me, or we can meet somewhere at my convenience. I will do the same when buying from you. I usually go into a deal expecting the other party to not show up. I'm not wasting a lot of time and gas chasing rainbows.

• Like 3

When selling here, I've experienced more "looks like they just created an account for the Classifieds" contacts than in the past. Sign o' the times I guess.
While I can't blame them, neither do I want to deal with a complete unknown. So I'm much more picky on communications permissions.
As for FTF dealings, I always make sure that we exchange phone numbers before the public meetup and I confirm that meetup via text before I get on the road. So far so good.

• Like 3

Been here less than a year. Post when I feel like I should. Try to stay out of the dog house with other members. I have only made on purchase from another member and had no issues whatsoever. In the few months I've been a member I have seen a change myself in the members both new and established. I believe it is a sign of the time we are in. Everyone is nervous and edgy, there is very little trust and zero tolerance. 

If I am buying I expect to go to where the seller is or chooses. If I am uncomfortable, I would just back out. Some seem to believe they should just not show. As for sales,,,I'm not selling. Every gun I have sold save one I want back. And even that one I believe could have been repaired.

I made one deal and asked the man who is local if he would like to meet at the Sherriff's office or police dept. He told me to come to his house. I was a little nervous but went anyway. I met a very nice man, older than myself. he showed me his house his radio controlled airplanes, his HAM equipment. I met his dog, saw a room with many arms. we talked for about an hour and a half. One never knows. mutual respect needs to be restored or society is doomed.

• Like 8

I, plain and simple, do not do business with new members on this forum. I do not trust those that become members just to sell ____. I look for members who actually contribute to the forum, and I get a read of what they are like. Those that come here to sell _____ do not care about negative feedback. In fact, I wish that Dave would constrict the ability to sell items beyond being a benefactor - like benefactor for a year.

• Like 1

No one is forcing anyone to buy anything.  Do what makes you feel good...or don't..  That's ok.  To each his own.  If a brand spanking new guy comes to market with a gun I want at a fair price, I will at least inquire.  You can tell most times if they are trouble or not just by the way they respond to questions.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

I, plain and simple, do not do business with new members on this forum. I do not trust those that become members just to sell ____. I look for members who actually contribute to the forum, and I get a read of what they are like. Those that come here to sell _____ do not care about negative feedback. In fact, I wish that Dave would constrict the ability to sell items beyond being a benefactor - like benefactor for a year.

I was a new member once. I bet you were too. I’ve had just as good od luck trading with new members as established members.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, papa61 said:

Been here less than a year. Post when I feel like I should. Try to stay out of the dog house with other members. I have only made on purchase from another member and had no issues whatsoever. In the few months I've been a member I have seen a change myself in the members both new and established. I believe it is a sign of the time we are in. Everyone is nervous and edgy, there is very little trust and zero tolerance. 

If I am buying I expect to go to where the seller is or chooses. If I am uncomfortable, I would just back out. Some seem to believe they should just not show. As for sales,,,I'm not selling. Every gun I have sold save one I want back. And even that one I believe could have been repaired.

I made one deal and asked the man who is local if he would like to meet at the Sherriff's office or police dept. He told me to come to his house. I was a little nervous but went anyway. I met a very nice man, older than myself. he showed me his house his radio controlled airplanes, his HAM equipment. I met his dog, saw a room with many arms. we talked for about an hour and a half. One never knows. mutual respect needs to be restored or society is doomed.

I’ve met some fine people trading here that I never would have met otherwise.

• Like 7
12 hours ago, papa61 said:

mutual respect needs to be restored or society is doomed.

Very true. I agree. However, word of warning....

Years ago in a passed life I had several saltwater reef aquariums, helped startup a local hobby club, and participated in online chat forums regularly on Reefcentral (TGO for reefers!)

We started having club meetings at peoples homes (cuz you can't haul a 200 gallon aquarium to the park!) Really good times: pizza, chips, soda, coffee, great conversations, faces to names, and the trading, OMG the trading... people pull up with 50 gal coolers filled with little plastic baggies... but I digress.

One longtime member hosted a meeting at his house to show off a new and fairly rare coral he had just acquired. Lots of new members showed up.

A week later, someone had broken into his home during the day, and stole that piece of coral.

That was the last club meeting we ever held. 

I do not invite people I do not know personally in to my home anymore. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I was a new member once. I bet you were too. I’ve had just as good od luck trading with new members as established members.

Good for you. I don't trust that easy. People have to show me an investment in the group before I accept them - particularly at my house. When people have 1 or 2 posts and it's a for sale ad it's not an investment; it's sales, and it's no better than meeting someone from Craig's List.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, papa61 said:

his house his radio controlled airplanes, his HAM equipment.

Sounds like someone I'd get along with. Add motorcycles, though.

I'm a new member, having been here (the forum and Tennessee) less than a year. So far I've had some limited contact with other members and all have been very positive. Every friend I have was once a new acquaintance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

A week later, someone had broken into his home during the day, and stole that piece of coral.

That was the last club meeting we ever held. 

Good lesson here. I don't even talk to friends about how many guns I own. I don't like people to know when we're on vacation. When we have people over I make sure valuables(we don't have many 😀) are out of sight and guns are put away. Basically, the less people know, the better. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Good lesson here. I don't even talk to friends about how many guns I own. I don't like people to know when we're on vacation. When we have people over I make sure valuables(we don't have many 😀) are out of sight and guns are put away. Basically, the less people know, the better. 

I've never understood the reasoning for posting vacation pics on facebook while still on vacation. That just seems like a "come rob my house" advertisement.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I've never understood the reasoning for posting vacation pics on facebook while still on vacation. That just seems like a "come rob my house" advertisement.

There is no doubt that it is. People post way too much personal stuff online - even if they think their privacy setting protects them, which they don't.

It may not even be a "friend" but your friend might mention what you have in casual conversation to another, or overheard by another, who decides that they want what you have.

Edited by E4 No More
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, E4 No More said:

It may not even be a "friend" but your friend might mention what you have in casual conversation to another, or overheard by another, who decides that they want what you have.

I have always strongly cautioned my sons and friends who know of my collection to NEVER mention it to other people. Y'all know how the rumor mill works. You tell someone, they tell someone, who tells someone else, etc and so on. Each time the story changes a little bit. By the time it gets around enough, all of a sudden I'm a 90 year old man in poor health who has a gun collection worth a million dollars. 😲 Some BG hears it and decides you would be and easy target. I don't need that in my life. 

While I may show off some of my stuff here and on other gun boards, I will never reveal the full nature of my collection. Hell, we all do it to some degree. We wanna show off our latest acquisition or an old classic. Its part of what our internet community is all about. However, I have actually seen people on forums post a complete list of everything they own. Some of them quite large. That won't be me. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Snaveba said:

A forum like this is the extent of my interaction with “social media”. I never have understood the need to share my life to that extent with the world. 

I do have a Linked In account that is just work. 

this IS my social media. I have found I do not care to associate with most people. If I want to be social I normally go out somewhere people are. Mainly car shows, gun shows, and church.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, papa61 said:

this IS my social media. I have found I do not care to associate with most people. If I want to be social I normally go out somewhere people are. Mainly car shows, gun shows, and church.

We have a lot in common.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, papa61 said:

I'm in the same boat...I've been "Social Distancing" long before it was ever a thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 4/15/2021 at 12:52 PM, gregintenn said:

Yep. I’ve heard first hand stories of this happening to people I work with. I don’t have any other social media besides TGO, but I’ve cautioned my wife and kids about this. It’s definately a real thing.