Iwb carry positions

So...... jack if experience here. 

Can y'all talk me through the pros and cons of different IWB concealed carry positions please? 2 o'clock, 4/5 o'clock, 11 o'clock appendix etc. 

Most pertinent for chubby guys with love handles. 

I'm not a carry guy & i'm probably not going to be a 7 day a week carry guy, but there have been & will be times when i'd have been & will be more comfortable with than without. 

I've read online articles ad nauseam, but i'd really like personal opinions from folks I internet know & have faith in. 

I'm well on the chubby side and carry a P365 in an Alien Gear IWB holster at 4 o'clock. It's so comfortable that I never really feel it there.

IMHO if you're going to carry, then carry. The reality is that you won't get to choose when (hopefully and likely never) you need to have it. Better to be looking at it than looking for it.

The other obvious piece is regular training and drills with your setup so you can draw from different positions and engage targets in different directions.

• Like 4
  • Moderators

I have, and occasionally still do carry on a couple of different locales. 

The reality is that you’re going to just have to figure out what works for you by trial and error. No way around it.

I’ve got a gut, but primarily carry AIWB with a sidecar. Pistol at 12/12:30. There is a comfort penalty, but that’s where I prefer it. It doesn’t work for everyone. 

I have carried at 3:30/4 o’clock. Anything further back, while generally concealing ok, just feels too far back to get to quickly and efficiently. 

A quality holster and a quality, dedicated gunbelt are a necessity if you wish to carry well. Without those two items, be prepared for a long struggle until you eventually drop the coin you needed to drop in the first place. 

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Chucktshoes said:

A quality holster and a quality, dedicated gunbelt are a necessity if you wish to carry well. Without those two items, be prepared for a long struggle until you eventually drop the coin you needed to drop in the first place. 

Yes, I neglected to cover that. A good belt as well as a good holster are non negotiable!

• Like 2
  • Moderators

I guess I could mention the holsters I actually use, eh?

For AIWB I use the Tier 1 Concealed Axis Elite/Slim. These are sidecar style holsters with the magazine attached. I also have some Squared Away Customs holsters for both IWB and OWB, but their website seems to be down. Don’t know what that’s about. I also have a Safariland duty style holster for when I’m needing an overt carry for larping at the range. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Mike1000 said:

Yes, I neglected to cover that. A good belt as well as a good holster are non negotiable!

I actually bought a super stable carry belt a few years ago. I have carried openly whilst in Wyoming (the second best state) & whilst hunting & its supported several different holsters with various very heavy, full sized pistols & revolvers with zero sagging. 

The holster is confusing. Soooooo many options! 

1 minute ago, Handsome Rob said:

The holster is confusing. Soooooo many options! 

You'll probably accumulate a bucketful before you settle on one you like! Even getting recommendations is challenging because what suits me may not suit you. 

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I guess I could mention the holsters I actually use, eh?

For AIWB I use the Tier 1 Concealed Axis Elite/Slim. These are sidecar style holsters with the magazine attached. I also have some Squared Away Customs holsters for both IWB and OWB, but their website seems to be down. Don’t know what that’s about. I also have a Safariland duty style holster for when I’m needing an overt carry for larping at the range. 

I also carry AIWB with a Tier 1 Axis Elite. P365XL with an optic. I would not consider myself fat, but not skinny (5’11”, 185). It is the most comfortable for me. And I feel it is the least likely to imprint. Or at least I can see if it is. 

i have carried IWB at the small of my back. Very comfortable, but the last time I did, while wearing a sport coat, my wife commented that she could see an imprint. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
7 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

I also carry AIWB with a Tier 1 Axis Elite. P365XL with an optic. I would not consider myself fat, but not skinny (5’11”, 185). It is the most comfortable for me. And I feel it is the least likely to imprint. Or at least I can see if it is. 

i have carried IWB at the small of my back. Very comfortable, but the last time I did, while wearing a sport coat, my wife commented that she could see an imprint. 

Carrying behind the 3/9 line can often lead to printing when bending over. Along with that, small of back is the one position I would recommend be avoided at all costs. Besides danger to back if one end up falling backwards, it requires such an awkward reach it’s just not a viable location for defensive carry. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I carry a Glock 48 IWB in a Comp-Tac CTAC holster at about 8 o’clock (lefty).  The CTAC is a 43 holster that I drimeled the opening for a 48.  This combo is comfortable all day and hides well under a t-shirt.  I’m 5’10/185 and am relatively fit, but will never be mistaken for Mr. Olympia.  Several portly-type friends have insisted that IWB could never work for them, only to eventually find a combination that works.  I just can’t do the appendix thing—a striker fired gun pointed at junk and femoral stuff is just a deal breaker.  

92A776F8-36B6-46C1-89FC-02DCCAA2A53C.jpeg

7F943E33-D8CD-4783-9CF3-BB62C9C19D8A.jpeg

C13A06C4-26B0-46FE-9685-E34AEB4FE2C8.png

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As has been said, it depends on your hardware & your "software" as to what works for you. I'm a southpaw, which has it's own challenges; most times I carry AIWB-ish since that suits my (recently slimmer) body-type and needs. Around the house I often settle for a 9mm in a front pocket holster.
I advise that whatever you choose, do practice your draw & presentation (unloaded of course) from various positions (driving, prone, seated, etc). I've seen too many times where precious seconds were lost due to fumbling, holster or cover-clearing failures, and so on that were mainly due to a lack of testing/practice beforehand.

• Thanks 1

I've carried a Shield with a 7-round flush mag at 3 o'clock in a CompTac MTAC holster with a slight forward cant and found it hides very well there, though I do have to buy shirts a size larger to disguise the added bulk. I also carry a pair of 8-round mags IWB at 9 o'clock and find that balances everything very well.

I've never tried it further back on my hip as that would seem to interfere with seat backs, etc, and given that I spend all day in a chair, that might not be very comfortable.

• Like 1

When i carried my FNH FNP-45USG as my EDC, I carried OWB in a good leather holster, but eventually the weight of that gun with 16 rounds of .45 acp goodness in it along with  extra mags of 15 rounds each of .45 acp goodness became just too much for my weak old self to carry, lol.  I now carry my Sig P-365XL(with optic) in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster.  I alternate  between an SOE Cobra belt and an Elite Survival Systems carry belt with cobra buckle.  Both these belts are very rigid nylon webbing and fully support eh weight of the gun and spare mag i carry. I tried a We The People holster and while it was comfortable enough, it fell off my belt with gun in it a couple times around the house so i stopped using it.,  I also liked a Galco Mini tuck but couldn't use it after i added my optic.  I agree with others above that a good holster coupled with a great gunbelt is the only way.

• Thanks 1
On 4/14/2021 at 7:06 PM, Chucktshoes said:

Carrying behind the 3/9 line can often lead to printing when bending over. Along with that, small of back is the one position I would recommend be avoided at all costs. Besides danger to back if one end up falling backwards, it requires such an awkward reach it’s just not a viable location for defensive carry. 

I'll also mention that small of back position often leads to muzzling anyone nearby as the gun is drawn.  Also not a readily defensible position for weapon retention.

• Like 1

I sometimes carry my larger framed guns at the 4 o'clock position in an OWB holster.  I know I'm putting on weight when the grip irritates my fat roll in that area. 😝

I most often carry my Sig 365 at appendix position in a Stealth Gear Ventcore holster on a good leather gun belt.  I like the hybrid aspect of the kydex/nylon holster material.  I can put the holster in the washing machine and then let it air dry.  I also like the belt clip.  I have found on many kydex holsters the belt clips are too big or too rigid to allow for minor adjustments due to change of body position.  On my Stealth gear holster I removed one of the two screws on the belt clip to allow the clip to swivel while not sacrificing any retention on my belt.  In the appendix position the gun is at a place my hands naturally fall.  This allows for not only rapid presentation of the gun if needed but also allows me to quickly get a hand on the gun to keep it pressed into the holster if someone were to try to disarm me.  Another plus of this position for me is that when sitting, such as when driving, I can still easily access the weapon while wearing a seat belt.  No need to remove the seat belt nor to twist and contort my body to retrieve the gun from the 4 o'clock position.  The other issue I have with the 4 o'clock position in my vehicles is that the base of the magazine/grip digs into the upholstery.  I don't want to mar my seats with wear through that constant pressure and abrasion.

I found 3 o'clock position to get in the way of the seat belt and put uncomfortable pressure on my hip after a while as well as digging into the seat as already mentioned.  2 o'clock position keeps my from reaching into my pocket when standing and has the barrel end of the holster digging into the top of my thigh when seated.  With the appendix position I find the holstered Sig 365 to fall nicely into the crease between my thigh and groin which is created when seated or raising my leg while standing.

Edited by billyblazes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find this set up with an OWB spare mag at the 8 o’clock position to be the most comfortable for me. I choose to carry the fixed blade KaBar knife where I can reach it with my non-dominant hand. I started that practice after a colleague was choked out due to an assault from the rear. With this fixed blade I can easily start poking around towards an assailant’s thigh or lower torso if he has me in a rear choke.  Although I carry a folding knife clipped in my front pocket, I prefer the fixed blade option if the knife needs to be readily deployed in a panic with expediency. I don’t want to run the risk of the blade on a folding knife not fully opening and thereby compromising the weapon and myself. 

Although the OP didn’t ask about anything other than position for conceal carry, I feel the knife is an important compliment to my EDC. This is how I am carrying most of my time away from the house. 

9A36DCC5-DBEE-4B03-8AE2-37948C46E598.jpeg

Edited by billyblazes
  • Like 1

Im a plus sized guy, mainly a big gut. I carry my Sig P-365XL either at 3 or 4 o'clock position in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB on either a SOE or Elite Survival Systems Cobra belt. My setup is comfortable Like others have said, it took a long time to figure out what works best for me.  I carry a spare 15 round mag in a Sticky Holster mag pouch at 9 o'clock also on my belt..  I also have a really good leather carry belt for dressier occasions. Best advice is to carry always.  I figure the one time  ya need a gun is the time you don't have it. When I was overseas, we weren't allowed to carry off-duty, and there was a very real terrorist risk, so I carried a fixed blade in addition to a folder at all times. Nowadays, i carry a very small Kershaw Launch 4 auto and a Benchmade Adamas auto, both pocket carry in opposite front pockets, for everyday use.

Edited by Defender
Forgot to include info.