Tell me why I want an AK for my Homeland Defense Collection

• Administrator

They aren't evil black rifles... they're HDRs. :cop:

So explain to me why I would want to add one of these to my collection. I've always been an AR fanatic and never really found much about the AK that lit my fire, but lately I'm really getting the urge for one again.

I don't know if it's the allure of affordable shooting (which may go away if the Obama Administration outlaws the importation of foreign ammo) or if it's the fact that someone in the government thinks that I shouldn't be able to own one (which has been going on since the 1980's so that's not a new concern) or if it's just the fact that I think that my American Yin needs a little Communist Yang for balance. Whatever it is, I keep finding myself looking at them lustfully in gun shops and online.

What are some really GOOD reasons for owning an AK? And do I want the AK-47 so that I can shoot the big nasty 7.62x39 or do I want the AK-74 so that I can be shoot something a little smaller, lighter and faster in the 5.54x39?

Help me figure this out. I'm feeling the urge to splurge and this time I think it's going to be a hot little Soviet number. :rolleyes:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They aren't evil black rifles... they're HDRs. :cop:

So explain to me why I would want to add one of these to my collection. I've always been an AR fanatic and never really found much about the AK that lit my fire, but lately I'm really getting the urge for one again.

I don't know if it's the allure of affordable shooting (which may go away if the Obama Administration outlaws the importation of foreign ammo) or if it's the fact that someone in the government thinks that I shouldn't be able to own one (which has been going on since the 1980's so that's not a new concern) or if it's just the fact that I think that my American Yin needs a little Communist Yang for balance. Whatever it is, I keep finding myself looking at them lustfully in gun shops and online.

What are some really GOOD reasons for owning an AK? And do I want the AK-47 so that I can shoot the big nasty 7.62x39 or do I want the AK-74 so that I can be shoot something a little smaller, lighter and faster in the 5.54x39?

Help me figure this out. I'm feeling the urge to splurge and this time I think it's going to be a hot little Soviet number. :rolleyes:

Ahhh quit yer whining and go get one. Wood for the fancy occasions, black somposite for really tickin' off the Libs.

They are just fun guns. AR-15s are great and are really customizable, but there is just something sexy about an AK.

If all else fails this should be justification enough...

I've been kicking myself ever since I traded my MAK-90 a few years ago...

Anywho, I too want another one now. Basically, I think I look at it in somewhat the same light as, "why buy a glock?". It's simple, effective, and built like a tank.

I would go with one in 7.62, the AR is already serving the role of firing light and fast cartridges.

Guest EasilyObsessed

Good reasons:

You only need to clean them if you are bored.

Cheap to shoot.

If you run out of ammo you can use it as a club without even remotely damaging it.

Punches bigger holes than a .223 AR.

Fun.

Obama doesn't think you should own one.

Liberals hate them.

Liberals hate them.

Liberals hate them.

Guest abailey362

well, 7.62 is fast becoming as expensive as .223 to shoot, and as hard to find right now.

They are fun to shoot, and stand out in a 3 gun match shooting an underfolder when everyone else has their tricked out AR's.

my tin foil hat side says that if s does ever htf, then i want a battle rifle that shoots 7.62x39 and my ar so that i can make use of both kinds of ammo that i find.....if s ever does hit of course.

I have AK's in both calibers 7.62 and 5.45. I also have different AR's with multiple uppers. I enjoy shooting my AK's as much as any thing I own. The ammo being cheap is a plus.

I have a custom built AK that ran me 550.00 almost a year ago. I don't know if I would pay more than that now.

Why do I own them, because I can. You see a lot of AR's at the range. I haven't seen to many AK's. They are fun to shoot and can take a beating.

• Administrator
You need an AK if you have a collection of military rifles; otherwise there is no need for one.

Tea came out of my nose when I read that. :D

I was wondering if anyone would appreciate the humor in that. :death:

Guest mustangdave

I guess I have to go against the grain here...AK's have never done anything for me...they're all Warsaw Pact or CHICOM knock offs anyway...no REAL Soviet RUSSKI ones. They look cheap and unrefined...and yes I know thats one of their endearing qualities, cause the darn things will still fire even when caked in mud for cris-sakes. Gimme an M-14 anyday if you wanna lob some 7.62 down range.:death:...I know, and everyone has one too...AK's and AR's. I guess I'm just prejudice

Guest c_o_jones

Extremely reliable + devastating power.

Oh, yeah - and you can build one in your garage...

The liberals peeing their pants over them also gives AK's a natural appeal.

Anything that pisses them off is a good thing.:death:

Guest 70below

At one time, I never had any interest in an AK-47. It just didn't have any appeal to me. I had a russian SKS that was pretty cool and seemed like the same thing to me, so I didn't have any need for one either. After I sold my Russian SKS (very regrettably), I decided to pick up a MAK-90. That thing was a blast to shoot (pun intended) and I definitely realized its just got something about it. Of course, like an idiot, I sold it too. Now I've picked up a milled MAK-90 new in box, and I'll have to sell it because I won't be able to bring myself to shoot it. Lol.

Guest Rainmaker

1) .30 bullets are common in many styles if you reload. and you might, if they do ban foreign ammo. 2) big steel mags. 3) you could prop open a crocodile's mouth with it, and you'd probably break the crocodile. 4) you live in Tennessee, and you don't need to hit anything 500 yards away unless you're standing in the middle of I-40. It's a nice little woods gun. short range and it lays things down. I have a kel tec in .223 that I like because it's light and stashable, but if I ran into a bear or something I wouldn't want to peck at him with the kel tec for very long.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I can't bring myself to desire to own a gun that I so completely associate with those towel-heads in the ME. Gimme an M14 if I need something bigger than a 5.56, no thanks on the AK.

The difference between an AK and an AR is like the difference between a 1979 CJ-7 and a 1997 Wrangler. In a SHTF thingy, I want the CJ!

That being said, I really miss my AK, but the selling price was just too good! After I get the 6.8 upper done, I'll be getting another AK..... If i still can. If not it won't matter too much. I probably couldn't get ammo for it anyway.

Guest pl1ght
The difference between an AK and an AR is like the difference between a 1979 CJ-7 and a 1997 Wrangler. In a SHTF thingy, I want the CJ!

Thats bottom line for me too. I know my AK will work. It will be my running out the door and if i only have time to grab one gun weapon. I enjoy the AR, but if ima be stuck in survivalist mode for a long period, its gonna stay behind if i have to make the choice.

I guess I have to go against the grain here...AK's have never done anything for me...they're all Warsaw Pact or CHICOM knock offs anyway...no REAL Soviet RUSSKI ones. They look cheap and unrefined...and yes I know thats one of their endearing qualities, cause the darn things will still fire even when caked in mud for cris-sakes. Gimme an M-14 anyday if you wanna lob some 7.62 down range.:up:...I know, and everyone has one too...AK's and AR's. I guess I'm just prejudice

I think I understand your point. It's like buying a Glock, who would want that "only a mother could love" gun? :tough:

But don't let me derail this thread. :D