Glock 21 or 30?

I've been toying with the thought of getting another Glock in the distant future. I have been looking at the 30 but also the 21...especially the 21SF. I wish they made a mid-size .45 but the only one I saw in that size is the 38 which is chambered in .45 GAP which I'm not too interested in. Does anyone on here carry a 21 for CC? I know the 21 is a full size which will make it more difficult to conceal. I've read that some people don't like the 30 because it can pinch their pinky fingers between the grip and magazine. I'm still kinda on the fence about which one to get. 

7 hours ago, lock n' load said:

I've been toying with the thought of getting another Glock in the distant future. I have been looking at the 30 but also the 21...especially the 21SF. I wish they made a mid-size .45 but the only one I saw in that size is the 38 which is chambered in .45 GAP which I'm not too interested in. Does anyone on here carry a 21 for CC? I know the 21 is a full size which will make it more difficult to conceal. I've read that some people don't like the 30 because it can pinch their pinky fingers between the grip and magazine. I'm still kinda on the fence about which one to get. 

I have the G21 Gen 4 which is the same grip size as the SF. It's a fantastic gun but it's HUGE. Full size doesn't adequately describe it. I can't carry it like I could my full size Glock 17. The 21 is for home defense and range fun only. I have no experience with the 30.

Are you able to visit a gun store and handle both? That would be my advice. If I wanted a polymer .45 to carry there might be better options out there.

Edited by Erik88
27 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

I have a 30S, which is a 36 slide on an SF frame. I think Erik is wrong about the grip being the same as the 21. The 30S is great, and easily carried.

G30_S-LG.jpg

G21_Gen4-LG.jpg

As your pictorial indicates, grip and pistol width is the same. It’s thick.

Edited by Garufa
On 4/15/2021 at 10:06 PM, lock n' load said:

Neither.  Real guns are made from steel and wood ...

G21SF or the G21 Gen 4 with a grip reduction stipple job is one of my favorite 45 platforms. I shoot the crap out of mine. Closest thing to a Glock 1911 for my money. It costs a bit more but the end result is worth it IMHO. The Gen 4 and SF frame fits my hand well as is but, the reduced and textured grip is where it's at. Any good stipple shop should be able to reduce the Glock hump, delete the finger grooves and undercut the trigger guard.

If you go with the compact, the 30s also accepts the 21 magazines. Don't know if that's an advantage to you or not but a data point worth taking into account.

G36 felt too much like a G19 to me. In which case I'd rather have a G19. Good visual on that comparison here https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/glock-g19-vs-glock-g36.

G21 SF Grip Reduction.JPG

• Like 1
On 4/17/2021 at 7:52 AM, tercel89 said:

I have them both. They are the softest shooting 45's I have ever shot. The 30 is great. When I carry the 30 I use a flush fit 9 rd magazine because it doesnt pinch like the 10 rd.

I use Pearce Grip extensions on the mags for the 30s and 36. They help a lot with the pinch...  PG-30_1

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I havent had a chance to handle either yet but the next time I'm in GT Distributors, I'll see if they have both for me to check out. I had originally been looking at getting the gen 5 23 in .40 caliber but I have a gen 3 23. Hickok 45 wasn't too fond of it in his review so I thought maybe a .45 might be the way to go.

16 hours ago, Tuffus said:

I also use Pierce extensions on my 30SF. That made a difference. Never shot a 21 so I can't comment but the 30SF is a very good pistol.

I'm thinking a 21 feels real close to a 30sf after you add the Pearce to the 30. The 30s (not sf) probably kicks harder because of the lighter slide. Typical tradeoff, lighter carry weight and more recoil.