The President doesn't want you to have mags that hold more than ten rounds.

58 minutes ago, Randall53 said:

“2 or 3 democrats that won’t go along with gun control”

The Senate has 50 dems and 50 republicans, a tie that's broken by the cackling VP Harris. But it takes more than a simple majority to break a filibuster, which is now nothing more than a procedural action. So even with their 51 votes in the Senate the dems don't have enough votes to pass DC statehood, an expanded SCOTUS, or, I hope, gun control.  The house can pass all the loony crap they want to, but it has to get past the Senate to become law and so long as the republicans stick together they can block legislation. It's much more complicated than that, of course, but in a nutshell, there you go.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Darrell said:

The Senate has 50 dems and 50 republicans, a tie that's broken by the cackling VP Harris. But it takes more than a simple majority to break a filibuster, which is now nothing more than a procedural action. So even with their 51 votes in the Senate the dems don't have enough votes to pass DC statehood, an expanded SCOTUS, or, I hope, gun control.  The house can pass all the loony crap they want to, but it has to get past the Senate to become law and so long as the republicans stick together they can block legislation. It's much more complicated than that, of course, but in a nutshell, there you go.

And the "two or three" democrats are the ones who have publicly gone on record stating their objections to removing the filibuster rules.  I strongly suspect that if ever comes to an actual vote, you'll see more than two or three with doubts.  Long time members are cognizant of the fact that one party doesn't remain in control forever, and changing the Senate rules to promote passage of highly controversial bills can, and will come t haunt the party who does this.  It's easy to remonstrate about "ending the filibuster" when you know it has no chance of happening, however much harder to support this if it looks like its about to pass.  Much like the House R's on ending Obamacare, passing all those resolutions a few years ago knowing it wouldn't pass the Senate ...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

You guys have way more faith in our current crop of politicians than I do. I sure hope you all are right.

Not really, but I do have faith in their unfailing desire to remain in office.  There are several issues in politics which are "no-win" scenarios, in that while its OK to rail against one side or the other rhetorically to rile up certain supporters, actually casting your vote may lead to unintended consequences like having a legitimate opponent in the primary or general election.  Gun control is one of those, particularly for Dems elected from otherwise red states, abortion and health care are examples for R's, at least in some areas.  Gridlock is often beneficial for your re-election chances, as it prevents you from actually doing something that might prove unpopular ...

4 hours ago, gregintenn said:

You guys have way more faith in our current crop of politicians than I do. I sure hope you all are right.

I don’t have much faith in that.  These really are different times. 

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, No_0ne said:

He's OK with mags, it's those evil "clips" he has a problem with ...

Glad the only clips I own are some moon clips and they only have a capacity of  5 and 6 rounds.

9 hours ago, mikegideon said:

He likes shotguns, especially the kind that holds two rounds.

That's because everybody knows that all you have to do to scare off bad guys is fire a round into the air from your trusty double barrel ...