Conditional Proceed, forced to return gun , charged high restock fee

Recently my dad went to a gun store to buy a gun for his house. Several houses nearby have been burglarized. He was denied by the background check. The store owner told my dad give him a week, and come back, by then he will be able to sell it to him. A week to the day, he went  back and the guy sold it to him. Well exactly a week after that my dad got several phone calls from a detective telling him to return it immediately for more information and also telling my dad that if he didn't return it immediately he would be at the house to get it and that my dad didn't want him coming to get it. The detective met him at the store and made sure he returned it and the store owner made sure to charge him $180 restocking fee. The gun costed $710. What do you all think about it. Any responses and input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

• Wow 1
  • Moderators

There’s not enough info for anybody to really offer a solid opinion. The circumstances of why your father’s background check was ultimately denied, and a detective was involved in ensuring the return happened make all the difference in the world.

Considering how sticky those types of legal issues can be, I wouldn’t recommend broadcasting it or seeking advice about it over the Internet.

The closest I will come to offering a real opinion is this. That gun is no longer new, and is no longer worth the same as a new gun at full retail price. If your dad is a prohibited person, and aware that he is a prohibited person, which I don’t understand how he wouldn’t be aware if he is, he should consider himself lucky for getting off with only a $180 restocking fee. 

(For The record, I don’t believe the concept of a prohibited person is just. One has either paid their debt to society, or they should be in jail. Free citizens should be treated as whole citizens and retain their rights to self-defense.)

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 6
31 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Is dad legally able to own a firearm or not?

Did dad falsify the 4473 form?

Meh, it must not be illegal to falsify a 4473, otherwise Biden Jr🇨🇳, would be in jail.  

I think there is more to it, because the Detective would have to put me in jail before I paid for their mistake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, DJTC45 said:

You join a gun forum 13hrs ago, and this is what you post.🤨

Well, if I was uninformed on a matter and looking for answers, I’d find someplace where I could ask the question and folks might be informed enough to answer. 

It’s why I joined a forum centered around vinyl record collecting when I had some gear questions. It’s why I just joined a discord server centered around the ATAK/CivTAK software. I hope he sticks around and learns and gains a greater understanding of why things happened the way they did. 

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Well, if I was uninformed on a matter and looking for answers, I’d find someplace where I could ask the question and folks might be informed enough to answer. 

It’s why I joined a forum centered around vinyl record collecting when I had some gear questions. It’s why I just joined a discord server centered around the ATAK/CivTAK software. I hope he sticks around and learns and gains a greater understanding of why things happened the way they did. 

Whatever, it's obvious his daddy has a record or a detective wouldn't have been involved.

Reguardless of all these conditions, the gun shop owner released the gun with less than an APPROVED background check. I owned a gun shop and there was no way I was gonna take responsibility for a conditional approval. Gun shop owner released the gun and I feel (call Dr. Phil) bears an equal responsibility for the situation. He could eat that restocking fee. Outstanding child support or an accusation of assault will trigger the same legal action. 

If your father has no reason for this denial, tell him to do the APPEALS paperwork to challenge the denial. Most are overturned. At least he will have a reason for the denial. Sometimes it's something really stupid that caused the denial. 

• Like 3