Jump to content

Long distance hiking...


Recommended Posts

Boots on the ground; 22-25 lb pack on the back.  

I hike at least once a week in mountainous terrain. Average hike is 15-20 miles. Being in shape, able to carry weight and navigate keeps me feeling "prepped".

Up to 422 miles in 2021; had over 1300 miles last year.

Keeping a new stat: we've climbed over 65,000 feet this year. 

  • Like 3
Link to post

I used to go on Volksmarches in Germany regularly.  Most were from 5-20 kilometers, usually on easy terrain, but went on a 40 kilometer Polizei Volksmarch once.  Wasn't prepared for this one at my advanced age, lol.  (I was 38) Participants were all police officers, mostly German civilian, but also American and German military well.  This one was on roads, in towns and in country, wooded trails and in places required the use of hands to help pull you up steep inclines.  By far, this one was the toughest volksmarch I had been on.   I was the oldest on our team, and no matter how much I wanted to drop out, there was no way I was going to not finish! Didn't set any records but I finished.  Couldn't do it today.  One interesting part of it was that when we wandered through a small German town, there were german women out on the streets offering free grapes, cheese and glasses of wine for us as we walked through.  They support their police, lol.

  • Like 1
Link to post
53 minutes ago, Swamp ash said:

Boots on the ground; 22-25 lb pack on the back.  

I hike at least once a week in mountainous terrain. Average hike is 15-20 miles. Being in shape, able to carry weight and navigate keeps me feeling "prepped".

Up to 422 miles in 2021; had over 1300 miles last year.

Keeping a new stat: we've climbed over 65,000 feet this year. 

That’s a lot of miles! Definitely a good exercise program!

  • Like 1
Link to post
1 hour ago, Defender said:

I used to go on Volksmarches in Germany regularly.  Most were from 5-20 kilometers, usually on easy terrain, but went on a 40 kilometer Polizei Volksmarch once.  Wasn't prepared for this one at my advanced age, lol.  (I was 38) Participants were all police officers, mostly German civilian, but also American and German military well.  This one was on roads, in towns and in country, wooded trails and in places required the use of hands to help pull you up steep inclines.  By far, this one was the toughest volksmarch I had been on.   I was the oldest on our team, and no matter how much I wanted to drop out, there was no way I was going to not finish! Didn't set any records but I finished.  Couldn't do it today.  One interesting part of it was that when we wandered through a small German town, there were german women out on the streets offering free grapes, cheese and glasses of wine for us as we walked through.  They support their police, lol.

That's real neat; it's nice to get folks normalized to moving around! Good for you!

Link to post
38 minutes ago, kentmck said:

That’s a lot of miles! Definitely a good exercise program!

Yeah, I love being outside and moving through the forest and Tennessee is the best place to be!

It may seem pointless (and painful), but there are so many benefits. My dog in the avatar climbed over 3000 feet and went 17 miles yesterday and she is just about to turn 13.

  • Like 1
Link to post

I like to hike, but don't get to do it as much as I'd like. I'm also much more of a day hiker, my feet won't tolerate 20 mile days. It's also getting toward the end of hiking season... too many bugs, snakes, and people. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
4 hours ago, Swamp ash said:

Yeah, I love being outside and moving through the forest and Tennessee is the best place to be!

It may seem pointless (and painful), but there are so many benefits. My dog in the avatar climbed over 3000 feet and went 17 miles yesterday and she is just about to turn 13.

That is awesome 👏 especially for a dog in their teens! I couldn’t log that many miles myself.  I have in past years done 5k’s, 10 milers and a couple half marathons. But I am a bit older now.  I did go 5.5 miles a week ago. But none of my miles are in the mountains with a pack.  
My hat is off to you both!  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Erik88 said:

@Swamp ash Do you have a favorite trail? 

It really depends on the season/weather. In general, I hit the plateau (Big South Fork, Cumberland Trail Sections; Cumberland Gap) in the shorter winter days and up to Blue Ridge in the Summer. 

I mostly prefer quiet trails in the National Forest for the solitude and I like the wilderness areas! 

There are parts of AT that are fantastic, if you avoid the peak times. In the Smokies, try scampering up Snake Den and over to Mt. Guyot. There is an F-4 crash site up there.

Edited by Swamp ash
Link to post

That's impressive, Swamp Ash!  It's great that you maintain that level of activity.

Our oldest dog has had to retire from trail hikes, but she still gets nice long neighborhood walks on the weekends.  Our backpacking has also decreased in mileage in recent years (maybe not enough though).  We just got back from an 8-night trip in the Grand Canyon.  My MRI is scheduled for next Monday...  😀

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
43 minutes ago, mike_f said:

That's impressive, Swamp Ash!  It's great that you maintain that level of activity.

Our oldest dog has had to retire from trail hikes, but she still gets nice long neighborhood walks on the weekends.  Our backpacking has also decreased in mileage in recent years (maybe not enough though).  We just got back from an 8-night trip in the Grand Canyon.  My MRI is scheduled for next Monday...  😀

 

That's awesome!

Yes, my old girl is getting a bit slower and we go occasionally without her, which is really sad.

8 nights in GC. That's pretty darn good. Multi-day treks are another level.

  • Like 1
Link to post
3 hours ago, kentmck said:

That is awesome 👏 especially for a dog in their teens! I couldn’t log that many miles myself.  I have in past years done 5k’s, 10 milers and a couple half marathons. But I am a bit older now.  I did go 5.5 miles a week ago. But none of my miles are in the mountains with a pack.  
My hat is off to you both!  

I can walk long distances all day but can't imagine running! That would kill me.

Have you heard of the Barkely Marathon here in TN? It's a crazy mix of both.

https://www.runnersworld.com/races-places/a26750827/barkley-marathons-faq/

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
17 hours ago, Swamp ash said:

It really depends on the season/weather. In general, I hit the plateau (Big South Fork, Cumberland Trail Sections; Cumberland Gap) in the shorter winter days and up to Blue Ridge in the Summer. 

I mostly prefer quiet trails in the National Forest for the solitude and I like the wilderness areas! 

There are parts of AT that are fantastic, if you avoid the peak times. In the Smokies, try scampering up Snake Den and over to Mt. Guyot. There is an F-4 crash site up there.

A guy who sits next to me at work is an AT maintainer. He was up there a week or 2 ago, got some pics and was identifying engine parts. There's a lot more of it left than I would have expected. 

  • Like 1
Link to post

I'd like to see the F-4. There was a lot of this Cessna still around. We did the hike last month. 

 

 

0321211145.jpg

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Link to post
On 4/19/2021 at 8:10 PM, Swamp ash said:

 In the Smokies, try scampering up Snake Den and over to Mt. Guyot. There is an F-4 crash site up there.

Interesting, thanks for the tip! I'm just learning about some of the hike-able plane crash sites in the Smokies.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 4/20/2021 at 3:36 PM, Erik88 said:

I'd like to see the F-4. There was a lot of this Cessna still around. We did the hike last month. 

 

 

0321211145.jpg

That's cool! Here's another:

xBWM3m4.jpg

Edited by Swamp ash
  • Like 2
Link to post
On 4/20/2021 at 8:06 PM, peejman said:

Y'all might like this book... 

https://www.amazon.com/Mayday-Aircraft-Crashes-Great-Smoky/dp/1572331542

Interestingly, Jeff Wadley was my wife's youth pastor when she was in high school. 

I may have to pick this up. I saw one interview of a guy who tries to find crashes as a hobby. He claimed there are several crash sites that have never been found. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1
Link to post
Posted (edited)

I don't know if vids will post, but this was interesting. The crew was doing training at the bald I was hiking on. The rotor wash was fun and surprisingly, both dogs really seemed OK with this!

zMxzaFO.mp4

Edited by Swamp ash
  • Like 1
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines
 
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.