Long distance hiking...

Boots on the ground; 22-25 lb pack on the back.  

I hike at least once a week in mountainous terrain. Average hike is 15-20 miles. Being in shape, able to carry weight and navigate keeps me feeling "prepped".

Up to 422 miles in 2021; had over 1300 miles last year.

Keeping a new stat: we've climbed over 65,000 feet this year. 

• Like 3

I used to go on Volksmarches in Germany regularly.  Most were from 5-20 kilometers, usually on easy terrain, but went on a 40 kilometer Polizei Volksmarch once.  Wasn't prepared for this one at my advanced age, lol.  (I was 38) Participants were all police officers, mostly German civilian, but also American and German military well.  This one was on roads, in towns and in country, wooded trails and in places required the use of hands to help pull you up steep inclines.  By far, this one was the toughest volksmarch I had been on.   I was the oldest on our team, and no matter how much I wanted to drop out, there was no way I was going to not finish! Didn't set any records but I finished.  Couldn't do it today.  One interesting part of it was that when we wandered through a small German town, there were german women out on the streets offering free grapes, cheese and glasses of wine for us as we walked through.  They support their police, lol.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Swamp ash said:

Boots on the ground; 22-25 lb pack on the back.  

I hike at least once a week in mountainous terrain. Average hike is 15-20 miles. Being in shape, able to carry weight and navigate keeps me feeling "prepped".

Up to 422 miles in 2021; had over 1300 miles last year.

Keeping a new stat: we've climbed over 65,000 feet this year. 

That’s a lot of miles! Definitely a good exercise program!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Defender said:

I used to go on Volksmarches in Germany regularly.  Most were from 5-20 kilometers, usually on easy terrain, but went on a 40 kilometer Polizei Volksmarch once.  Wasn't prepared for this one at my advanced age, lol.  (I was 38) Participants were all police officers, mostly German civilian, but also American and German military well.  This one was on roads, in towns and in country, wooded trails and in places required the use of hands to help pull you up steep inclines.  By far, this one was the toughest volksmarch I had been on.   I was the oldest on our team, and no matter how much I wanted to drop out, there was no way I was going to not finish! Didn't set any records but I finished.  Couldn't do it today.  One interesting part of it was that when we wandered through a small German town, there were german women out on the streets offering free grapes, cheese and glasses of wine for us as we walked through.  They support their police, lol.

That's real neat; it's nice to get folks normalized to moving around! Good for you!

38 minutes ago, kentmck said:

That’s a lot of miles! Definitely a good exercise program!

Yeah, I love being outside and moving through the forest and Tennessee is the best place to be!

It may seem pointless (and painful), but there are so many benefits. My dog in the avatar climbed over 3000 feet and went 17 miles yesterday and she is just about to turn 13.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Swamp ash said:

Yeah, I love being outside and moving through the forest and Tennessee is the best place to be!

It may seem pointless (and painful), but there are so many benefits. My dog in the avatar climbed over 3000 feet and went 17 miles yesterday and she is just about to turn 13.

That is awesome 👏 especially for a dog in their teens! I couldn’t log that many miles myself.  I have in past years done 5k’s, 10 milers and a couple half marathons. But I am a bit older now.  I did go 5.5 miles a week ago. But none of my miles are in the mountains with a pack.  
My hat is off to you both!  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Erik88 said:

@Swamp ash Do you have a favorite trail? 

It really depends on the season/weather. In general, I hit the plateau (Big South Fork, Cumberland Trail Sections; Cumberland Gap) in the shorter winter days and up to Blue Ridge in the Summer. 

I mostly prefer quiet trails in the National Forest for the solitude and I like the wilderness areas! 

There are parts of AT that are fantastic, if you avoid the peak times. In the Smokies, try scampering up Snake Den and over to Mt. Guyot. There is an F-4 crash site up there.

Edited by Swamp ash

That's impressive, Swamp Ash!  It's great that you maintain that level of activity.

Our oldest dog has had to retire from trail hikes, but she still gets nice long neighborhood walks on the weekends.  Our backpacking has also decreased in mileage in recent years (maybe not enough though).  We just got back from an 8-night trip in the Grand Canyon.  My MRI is scheduled for next Monday...  😀

• Haha 1
43 minutes ago, mike_f said:

That's impressive, Swamp Ash!  It's great that you maintain that level of activity.

Our oldest dog has had to retire from trail hikes, but she still gets nice long neighborhood walks on the weekends.  Our backpacking has also decreased in mileage in recent years (maybe not enough though).  We just got back from an 8-night trip in the Grand Canyon.  My MRI is scheduled for next Monday...  😀

That's awesome!

Yes, my old girl is getting a bit slower and we go occasionally without her, which is really sad.

8 nights in GC. That's pretty darn good. Multi-day treks are another level.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, kentmck said:

That is awesome 👏 especially for a dog in their teens! I couldn’t log that many miles myself.  I have in past years done 5k’s, 10 milers and a couple half marathons. But I am a bit older now.  I did go 5.5 miles a week ago. But none of my miles are in the mountains with a pack.  
My hat is off to you both!  

I can walk long distances all day but can't imagine running! That would kill me.

Have you heard of the Barkely Marathon here in TN? It's a crazy mix of both.

https://www.runnersworld.com/races-places/a26750827/barkley-marathons-faq/

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Swamp ash said:

It really depends on the season/weather. In general, I hit the plateau (Big South Fork, Cumberland Trail Sections; Cumberland Gap) in the shorter winter days and up to Blue Ridge in the Summer. 

I mostly prefer quiet trails in the National Forest for the solitude and I like the wilderness areas! 

There are parts of AT that are fantastic, if you avoid the peak times. In the Smokies, try scampering up Snake Den and over to Mt. Guyot. There is an F-4 crash site up there.

A guy who sits next to me at work is an AT maintainer. He was up there a week or 2 ago, got some pics and was identifying engine parts. There's a lot more of it left than I would have expected. 

• Like 1
On 4/19/2021 at 8:10 PM, Swamp ash said:

In the Smokies, try scampering up Snake Den and over to Mt. Guyot. There is an F-4 crash site up there.

Interesting, thanks for the tip! I'm just learning about some of the hike-able plane crash sites in the Smokies.

• Like 1
On 4/20/2021 at 8:06 PM, peejman said:

Y'all might like this book... 

https://www.amazon.com/Mayday-Aircraft-Crashes-Great-Smoky/dp/1572331542

Interestingly, Jeff Wadley was my wife's youth pastor when she was in high school. 

I may have to pick this up. I saw one interview of a guy who tries to find crashes as a hobby. He claimed there are several crash sites that have never been found. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1

I don't know if vids will post, but this was interesting. The crew was doing training at the bald I was hiking on. The rotor wash was fun and surprisingly, both dogs really seemed OK with this!

zMxzaFO.mp4

Edited by Swamp ash
  • Like 1