Church/Volunteer Security Teams

Evening folks. I’m hoping to gather some thoughts from those of you who have experience with a church security team. 
We currently have one at my church but are looking to make some changes and/or improvements. 
I’d appreciate any and all feedback or tips that you’ve learned along the way but I do have a few pointed questions. 

•Do the individuals that serve on this team serve every service or is their some form of rotation?

• is there a required level of training either firearm or situational?

• Administrator
9 hours ago, maroonandwhite said:

•Do the individuals that serve on this team serve every service or is their some form of rotation?

We use a rotation.  But most of us are mic'd up and carrying every service regardless.

9 hours ago, maroonandwhite said:

• is there a required level of training either firearm or situational?

Yes, we require both firearms qualification and situational training throughout the year.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
7 minutes ago, maroonandwhite said:

What method / equipment would you recommend for communication?

Business-band digital radio, if your church is willing to spend the money or has a donor who will front the small cost of the FCC license for you.  It's really not that expensive and it keeps your communications from being easily eavesdropped upon.  Business-band analog works also, but it's easy to find with a scanner and then be privy your team communications.

This site has put together a pretty good overview of it.

http://businessradiolicensing.com/applications/fee/

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Business-band digital radio, if your church is willing to spend the money or has a donor who will front the small cost of the FCC license for you.  It's really not that expensive and it keeps your communications from being easily eavesdropped upon.  Business-band analog works also, but it's easy to find with a scanner and then be privy your team communications.

This site has put together a pretty good overview of it.

http://businessradiolicensing.com/applications/fee/

Awesome. What about hardware? I assume there are nicer solutions for earpieces and such to keep everything fairly low key and hidden. 

• Administrator

Baofeng radios can generally be programmed to use analog.  I haven't tried them with digital yet.  With them you're talking about a radio that generally costs less than $100 per.

Yes, we use surveillance headsets like these.  This is the one I use, personally:  Klein Patriot K1.  You have to be careful to order the one that works with your radio's style of connector, though.

https://www.galls.com/photos/styles/AP644_500_1.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...

We have 4 rotating teams of 9. That includes the camera room watching around 30 cameras. We have had security in place for probably 10 years.  We also pay the county for a uniformed LE there at every service.  The county charge us $25 a hour. They park their car at the front of the building letting anyone know they are there that may have bad intentions.  Everyone carries a radio.  We met with the local DA and he is the one that recommended that we have a LE there.  Helps if you have to put hands on someone that is just being unruly or trying to disrupt the activities. Protects the Church and if a member gets involved on the litigation part. We have a yearly appreciation dinner for the LE that work during our services and have several join our Church. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Was renewing my CCW Insurance and looking what was new. The ultimate membership included:

"This plan provides coverage for volunteer church security members (volunteer only)."

this was through CCWSafe, may want to check your policy if there is an exemption for running any sort of security detail.

may not be a thing, bit just a heads up

• Like 1

I just now saw this and I know it is super short notice but you might be interested in this upcoming event in Cleveland TN this weekend....

On Friday and Saturday, February 25 and 26, 2022, Westwood Baptist Church is hosting a Church Security Seminar – “A Gathering of The Guardians.”  Westwood is located 4001 Georgetown Rd, NW, in Cleveland, TN.  We will begin at 9:00AM, and conclude about 4:00PM.  The Seminar is the same each day, and we are repeating it to accommodate the schedule of those who are still working or may have other conflicts.  We have called it “MAGEN2022”, “magen” being a Hebrew word for guardian, protector, or shield.  This is a follow on to our seminar MAGEN2020, which had over 725 attendees from 135 Churches.

We have an outstanding speaker for this event.  He is Dr. Tim Rupp.  Dr. Rupp is a 25 year veteran of Law Enforcement, and, after completing his Doctorate of Ministry from Western Seminary, he Pastored Churches in Idaho. Currently, he is full time serving a Ministry dedicated to Law Enforcement personnel, a Ministry that he created.  He is also the author of several books, including “Winning A Gunfight” and “Pistol in the Pulpit”.  “Pistol in the Pulpit” is the focus of the material for this seminar.  Additional information is shown in the attached Flyer.

Registration will open December 6, 2021. Advance registration and payment are required. Cost for the seminar is $15 per person, which also includes lunch.  To register, go to www.westwoodlife.org and follow prompts to “REGISTER”.  Additionally, any Church wishing to be a “Co-sponsor” may make alternative arrangements.   For any additional information or to discuss “Co-sponsoring”, please contact Westwood Baptist Director of Security Operations (DSO) Joe Gilbert at 423/584-3969, or by email at jmgilbert98@gmail.com.

2022FLYERV4-PRI DIST (1).pptx

• Like 1