McDonald's

As an Old Road Warrior, I ate McDonalds so frequently it was just absurd. However, back in the dim past...the 80s/90s, it was at least cheap(er) than now. I could get a Quarter Pounder Meal for 2.99. That at least made it reasonable for a quick lunch out on the road that I could eat between stops. I later started going to Burger King for much the same reasons, but I thought the food was a bit better. At least it had some flavor to it.

But as Erik88 says, today the fast food meals are 9-12 bucks at the same burger places.

On occasion, I'll get that Mickey D craving and stop in. Then I remember why I had stopped...still the same cardboard-like flavor in the meals. And still not even cheap.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

I got off of fast food when I hit 300# and decided I wanted to be around for the other half of my life. Thats been well over a decade ago and even then McDonald's ingredients were trash. When you can dribble a McRib back to your car that should tell you what your guts in for.

• Like 1

I eat at McChoke-N-Puke when I want something fast that'll make a turd. I don't expect any fast food chain to be all that great, but I still like their double cheeseburger, Big Mac, and chicken nuggets.

Edited by E4 No More
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

There are several fast food places that I don't understand how they are still in business. Their food is horrible. 

• Long John Silvers- I never see more than a few vehicles at these places
  • Captain D's-same as above
  • Krystal
  • Arby's- decent fries?
  • Burger King-probably one of the worst fast food burgers
  • Sonic- staying alive on their drinks and shakes alone?

I wouldn't be surprised if some of those chains don't survive this decade. 

3 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

There are several fast food places that I don't understand how they are still in business. Their food is horrible. 

• Krystal
  • Arby's- decent fries?

Breakfast keeps Hardee's afloat. Parking lot is full until 10:30, then crickets.

• Like 4
16 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

• Krystal
  • Arby's- decent fries?

LJS used to be very good. That was until their food became very oily for whatever reason. Last couple of times I was there oil dripped out of the fish fillets, so I stopped going.

I have never like Krystals or White Castle. They're just nasty - unless you are drunk according to some posts that I've seen.

Arby's now offers Crinkle fries that are very good.

I like Burger King's chicken biscuits and burger with specific toppings, but nothing else they offer.

Again, I only go to these fast food places when I want the food fast. I don't expect anything more than it be edible and make a turd.

It all boils down to the same thing which I remarked in another thread. People that care will do good work. I enjoy cooking and eating so when I was still in high school and had a job on a cook line at a restaurant I made the food how I would want it served to me. A lot of problem now is people just don't give a f*ck about what they are sending out the door. Thats why places like chik fil a kick a lot of other places in the balls. 

Edited by FUJIMO
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

Thats why places like chik fil a kick a lot of other places in the balls. 

They are the best by far. I saw a headline where a Covid vaccination site asked Chick-Fil-A to help them organize their drive through line. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

And the ice cream machine will still be broken 🙄

I repair McDonald’s milkshake machines on occasion. You really really really do not want to drink milkshakes from McDonald’s or anywhere. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes care of their machine as far as cleaning as they really should.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, RED333 said:

I repair McDonald’s milkshake machines on occasion. You really really really do not want to drink milkshakes from McDonald’s or anywhere. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes care of their machine as far as cleaning as they really should.

You'd think health inspectors would be monitoring them. When I was 19 I worked as the night manager for a convenience store in Kansas City called Quik Trip. They had ice cream/milk machine, I I had to drain it and clean it with bleach every night. The health inspectors made frequent visits to the stores during the daytime to take cultures of the machines. You didn't want to fail those inspections. 😞

5 minutes ago, RED333 said:

As previously stated i don't eat fast food but I know I hear friends and family complain the machine is always broken. I haven't eaten chik Fil a since it was in the mall decades ago but I like the hell out of their business model. 

• Admin Team

As far as fast food goes, I’ll take chipotle all day long.  For seven or eight bucks you get two meals out of stuff that started as whole ingredients this morning.

When I’m traveling, I dig the breakfast sandwiches from Starbucks.  Again, whole foods and pretty tasty.  I could eat the  sausage, egg and cheese on an English muffin every day.  I don’t know what sort of magic is in those ovens they use - maybe @RED333could tell me - but man they get those things hot fast.

If I want a burger that I’m not cooking myself, it’s Hugh Baby’s here in Nashville.  A good burger, fries that taste like they’re cooked in beef tallow (like the McDonald’s of old - millennials, I’m sorry you never experienced these), and good shakes.  

• Like 6

I'll hit up McDonald's if I want a cheap McChicken and McDouble hungry fix.  But aside from that, it's nothing special.

For a bigger fast food burger Wendy's is my spot; Sonic if I have to.  Hardee's actually has a good burger as well and I like getting them in the mix, but they're harder to find than Wendy's or Sonic it seems.

I also grab some Chick-Fil-A during off-peak hours from time to time when in a chicken mood.  While their stuff isn't as magical as people pretend, it's in the pretty good range (their sauces are well above average) and it's never been bad, something a lot of other places can't say.

Chipolte I just don't get...at all.  It's so bland and basic to me.  Everyone in the Nashville broadcast area needs to see if they have an Oscar's Taco Shop nearby and give it a try if you haven't yet.  If I was offered a free meal at Chipolte when Oscar's is an option at my own expense...I'd have to think about it.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
24 minutes ago, btq96r said:

I'll hit up McDonald's if I want a cheap McChicken and McDouble hungry fix.  But aside from that, it's nothing special.

For a bigger fast food burger Wendy's is my spot; Sonic if I have to.  Hardee's actually has a good burger as well and I like getting them in the mix, but they're harder to find than Wendy's or Sonic it seems.

I also grab some Chick-Fil-A during off-peak hours from time to time when in a chicken mood.  While their stuff isn't as magical as people pretend, it's in the pretty good range (their sauces are well above average) and it's never been bad, something a lot of other places can't say.

Chipolte I just don't get...at all.  It's so bland and basic to me.  Everyone in the Nashville broadcast area needs to see if they have an Oscar's Taco Shop nearby and give it a try if you haven't yet.  If I was offered a free meal at Chipolte when Oscar's is an option at my own expense...I'd have to think about it.

If you’re in the mood for a taco, burrito or anything like that. Drive past chipotle and find the nearest taco truck. Doesn’t matter. Any taco truck will do. You’ll get far and away a much, much better meal for less money.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

If you’re in the mood for a taco, burrito or anything like that. Drive past chipotle and find the nearest taco truck. Doesn’t matter. Any taco truck will do. You’ll get far and away a much, much better meal for less money.

My apartment building is across the street from the new Tennessee State Library and Archives building that just opened. When construction was in progress while I was at home because COVID closed the office, I got in line with the workers when the food truck hit their job site more than a couple times.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
8 minutes ago, btq96r said:

My apartment building is across the street from the new Tennessee State Library and Archives building that just opened. When construction was in progress while I was at home because COVID closed the office, I got in line with the workers when the food truck hit their job site more than a couple times.

There are some ancillary benefits to hitting the food truck like that that most people overlook. Not only are you likely to get some bomb ass Mexican food, you’re supporting a small business owner who is likely a first generation immigrant supporting a family. I’m about that kind of spending over a multinational corporation. 

• Like 5
44 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

My wife was skeptical of this until I proved it to her. Now she goes and gets tacos there regularly. They are delicious.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, E4 No More said:

Chick-Fil-A's waffle fries suck!

To each their own. Those waffle fries are about the only thing on the menu worth ordering there. Their chicken is dry, flavorless, and unimpressive. The service is top shelf but the product is disappointing at best. 

• Dislike 1