Jump to content

McDonald's


Recommended Posts

A friend builds and maintains fast food restaurants.  He explained (dumbed it down for me) that much of the shake-machine-is-down problem is due to lack of mandatory routine maintenance.  It’s not that hard, but the $10/hr don’t-give-a-crap kids don’t bother and the machine shuts itself down after X doesn’t happen.  
 

I feel like I’ve been in a car wreck two hours after eating McDonald’s.  Nowadays, if my cholesterol gets too low, I like Popeye’s.  

Link to comment

I can't remember the last time I have been to a fast food place but I think it was an Arby's and yea they do have the Meats and you pay dearly for it if you request a sandwich like they show on TV. Other wise you get an original with about half the meat. I said I would never be back and I have not been!!

Link to comment
37 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

There are some ancillary benefits to hitting the food truck like that that most people overlook. Not only are you likely to get some bomb ass Mexican food, you’re supporting a small business owner who is likely a first generation immigrant supporting a family. I’m about that kind of spending over a multinational corporation. 

Near every weekend I'm able, I walk over to the Nashville Farmers Market and order at least one Arepa from a food truck called Caracasville.

https://www.instagram.com/caracasville/?hl=en

It's exactly what you describe; first generation immigrants supporting their family, or in this case, the family working together to support themselves since they all seem to work shifts.  The food is AMAZING and the people are awesome.  Always kind, cheerful, and good members of the community.  I remember the morning after the tornado hit Nashville last year, they were at the Farmers market supporting those using it as a shelter with free food.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

You need to try a different CFA.  I dont think I have had more than one dry piece of chicken from them ever.

I used to spend 42 weeks a year on the road. I have tried dozens of locations across a multitude of states. Never once have I been impressed with anything other than the service. I generally avoid them but sometimes it was the best/only option for a fast lunch on a driving day. 

  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

You need to try a different CFA.  I dont think I have had more than one dry piece of chicken from them ever.

It's not make you choke dry, but I've had some less than juicy chicken from CFA on more than one occasion.  Kind of the reason why I don't see it on the pedestal others do, and only hit it up infrequently. 

Their sauces and milkshakes are what keeps it in the rotation for me.

Link to comment
7 minutes ago, btq96r said:

It's not make you choke dry, but I've had some less than juicy chicken from CFA on more than one occasion.  Kind of the reason why I don't see it on the pedestal others do, and only hit it up infrequently. 

Their sauces and milkshakes are what keeps it in the rotation for me.

Their biscuits are make you choke dry, especially when you slap a piece of semi dry chicken on it. Those are to be avoided at all costs. 

To be fair most white chicken meat is pretty dry in my opinion. Many places struggle to cook it well so it is not just a problem with CFA.  

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

If you’re in the mood for a taco, burrito or anything like that. Drive past chipotle and find the nearest taco truck. Doesn’t matter. Any taco truck will do. You’ll get far and away a much, much better meal for less money.

I agree about the quality, but the less money is suspect.  I hit the trucks now and then and if I spend the same I get less food, good, but less.

41 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

There are some ancillary benefits to hitting the food truck like that that most people overlook. Not only are you likely to get some bomb ass Mexican food, you’re supporting a small business owner who is likely a first generation immigrant supporting a family. I’m about that kind of spending over a multinational corporation. 

Yes, we here at the compound have given some trucks enough business that the owner established a hard stand.  

 

As to the other fast food places, I can find 'something' that will do at most places, McD's, it's the McGriddle, or their Egg McMuffin, used to love the fries but they changed the ingredients and ruined them.  And it goes on, the Spicy Chicken sandwich from Wendy's or Popeyes, Chicken Zalad from Zaxby's, Thick Burger and Biscuit and Gravy from Hardees etc, etc.  I even get some Captain Ds now and then.  Are they great, no, not even close, but will do when on the road or work too late to cook.  The prices have gone up, and will probably continue to do so until business goes down and price finds it's stability point.  But one thing for sure, fast food will not go away, we, all of us, will continue to be too busy to cook our own.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Quick story.... We "used to" go to Hardees when coupons came in the mail untill one evening we had a rather new person working the register inside. They hit the wrong button and had the "cook" come and help clear the register. The cook was about maybe 20 at most, His face was covered in zits and he's standing there at the register with 4 huge frozen burger patties in his un gloved hand. We have NEVER been back to Hardees since. Too bad, my wife & I both thought their burgers were the best fast food ones out there but they only pay in the $7 dollar range and only $8.50 to be a biscuit cook. Cheap is cheap........ all the way around. 

Link to comment

Anybody ever seen the movie "The Founder"? I don't know how accurately this  movie was to the actual story but, If it was accurate, it was really bad for the McDonald brothers. It's about Ray Crock pretty much screwing over them. I think I'm a fairly good guy but, I would've not took that all sitting down.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
36 minutes ago, xtriggerman said:

Quick story.... We "used to" go to Hardees when coupons came in the mail untill one evening we had a rather new person working the register inside. They hit the wrong button and had the "cook" come and help clear the register. The cook was about maybe 20 at most, His face was covered in zits and he's standing there at the register with 4 huge frozen burger patties in his un gloved hand. We have NEVER been back to Hardees since. Too bad, my wife & I both thought their burgers were the best fast food ones out there but they only pay in the $7 dollar range and only $8.50 to be a biscuit cook. Cheap is cheap........ all the way around. 

What did we ever do before cooks had gloves? I was a cook in a pizza shop when I was 17 and a Howard Johnson's at 21. My hands were clean.

But before I was a cook I did witness a part-time cook, (who was a full-time firefighter), drop some corned beef onto his open toed sandals and floor. He then picked it up and put it on a customer's Reuben and served it.

Edited by E4 No More
Link to comment

I hate to break it to you guys but I suspect few people are wearing gloves when they make your food. That includes nicer sit down restaurants too. At the restaurant I worked at for 6 years, I never saw the cooks wearing gloves. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I hate to break it to you guys but I suspect few people are wearing gloves when they make your food.

Way way back in my past I worked some fast food gigs and to my knowledge gloves did not exist nor were they ever mentioned at any time I worked these places.  This was true of food prep and the dreaded cleaning of the toilets!

Link to comment

While I try to cook most meals at home or hit up locally owned places, sometimes you just have to hit one of the fast food joints. 
 

Our local Arby’s is pretty good and convenient to my son’s school so I can grab it on the way to his baseball or soccer. 
 

If I want chicken sandwich I hit up Wendy’s. 
 

Popeyes for a taste of Louisiana. Love their red beans and rice and their jambalaya isn’t bad. 
 

And anyone who disses Krystal, well you just ain’t from round these parts. Not that I need to eat there often to get my fix, but every now and again they hit the spot. 
 

For Tex-Mex it is usually Salsaritas or Moes. Moes used to be all my some would eat out, but he’s moved to Salsaritas which has better chips and quality of food. 
 

I also agree about food trucks, but they are not any better priced in Chattanooga. I can’t eat any cheaper there, and often more expensive and takes longer. 
 

But hey, first world problems if all we have to worry about is which food place gets my money. At least we have options. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I like McDonald's breakfast. They make a pretty good biscuit with an assortment of fillings. I'm fond of the bacon, egg and cheese biscuit myself. The breakfast platters with eggs, pancakes and such ain't too bad. Its a quick and easy meal for a decent price.  But then I don't eat breakfast there very often.

 I don't eat their burgers at all. For one thing you gotta take it the way they make it or not at all. I just don't like the crap they put on a burger. On the very rare occasion that I have no choice other than McDonald's, I just get chicken nuggets. 🙄

Actually, I'm very limited in my choices for burgers. Most places use sesame seed buns and I can't have those. (Diverticulitis}. For the most part, I'm pretty much limited to Wendy's, Sonic and Krystals.  But that's Ok because I like those places pretty well. 

My biggest reason for not eating at some fast food places is that the previously mentioned don't-give-a-crap kids can't get an order right. There's a Wendy's less than a mile from my house, but I rarely go there because they ALWAYS screw up the order. Every damned time! 🤬

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Every small town used to have a dairy dip. They had wonderful burgers for the most part. I miss those. There’s still a Dairy Burger in Hermitage Springs, TN. If you’re ever up this way, give it a try. It’s like a trip back in time.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

I like McDonald's breakfast. They make a pretty good biscuit with an assortment of fillings. I'm fond of the bacon, egg and cheese biscuit myself. The breakfast platters with eggs, pancakes and such ain't too bad. Its a quick and easy meal for a decent price.  But then I don't eat breakfast there very often.

 I don't eat their burgers at all. For one thing you gotta take it the way they make it or not at all. I just don't like the crap they put on a burger. On the very rare occasion that I have no choice other than McDonald's, I just get chicken nuggets. 🙄

Actually, I'm very limited in my choices for burgers. Most places use sesame seed buns and I can't have those. (Diverticulitis}. For the most part, I'm pretty much limited to Wendy's, Sonic and Krystals.  But that's Ok because I like those places pretty well. 

My biggest reason for not eating at some fast food places is that the previously mentioned don't-give-a-crap kids can't get an order right. There's a Wendy's less than a mile from my house, but I rarely go there because they ALWAYS screw up the order. Every damned time! 🤬

Right on all counts!

Mickey's breakfast platter is good. The biscuits and McMuffins are good if not too burnt.

I like Arbys and Sonic. Wish we had a Whataburger here!  Wendy's...I like it, but my wife refuses to eat anything from them.

And I hate sesame seed buns!!!

Link to comment

 Best fast food burger in Chattanooga right now is at Jacks.  Use a Brioche bun and good ground beef.  They also have right now an Ultimate Big Breakfast Bacon Sandwich with Eight pieces of bacon on it.

Only go to Mcdonalds for the $1.00 Any Size drink.

Edited by A516
Link to comment

I understand the thing about gloves. My wife worked in food service a number of years and boy if you get caught making or serving without them on it could be a good fine or even shut down. The gloves at Hardees was a big thing to me since it is against the rules but what ever.... no big deal really but that boys face zits were freaking disgusting! Must have been a half dozen on him that were ready to self erupt from the slightest nudge of a back hand scratch!   If I want my protein in white grubs, I'll go dig em out of a rotten stump, not on a FF burger.   

Link to comment

We hit up McDs for their $1 drinks and then to get rid of their $1 drinks, can't remember the last time we bought food from them. Growing up we always stopped at gas stations to go to the bathroom on trips, now when we are on the road we mostly rely on McD for cleaner than the average gas station restrooms.

When I was a leader on a Boy Scout High Adventure canoe trip back in the early 90s we were in the backwoods of Maine for 10 days. All the boys were begging for us to stop at the first McDonalds we saw, when we started for home because they were so sick of camp food. We then discovered how far in the boondocks we really were, I think we drove for almost 75 miles before finding one. Ever since the frequency of McDs has been my gauge for boonies.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines
 
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.