The Nature of Self Defense/Policing Changed Yesterday

IMO, "like it or not" the nature of Policing changed yesterday with the Chauvin verdict. In fact the nature of Self Defense/Deadly Force, as a whole, also changed. 

When "anyone" sets in motion deadly force, you had better have it right, because societies view of force changed along with that verdict. IMO, it will be harder to justify, in the future. 

We now have public outcry exerting great influencing over the judicial system and one had better be able to deal with it. 

As a former LEO and martial artist who has used neck restraints countless times, I agree with the verdict. Once the suspect is cuffed and prone you release the restraint - period. With Chauvin's experience, he knows this. I watched the video screaming at Chauvin to get off his neck. He's getting what he deserves, IMHO. I don't think that the officers behind him are responsible, but the one who could see Floyd's face and clearly hear his pleas should be charged as he was indifferent to the situation.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, pop pop said:

We now have public outcry exerting great influencing over the judicial system and one had better be able to deal with it. 

There is no way what Chauvin did was acceptable.  He got what he deserved. That being said, I agree with this statement. The events yesterday in Columbus OH are a great example of this. We've entered a new era where no matter what the circumstances are, if a black person is killed by police it immediately leads to protests and outrage. Don't even wait for the facts to come out. Celebrities were tweeting about it and folks like Ben Crump immediately jumped at the chance to get involved. 

I couldn't believe how hard the cops had to tip toe around the issue in the press conference yesterday. They had to go on and on about how tragic it was that a girl was killed after she began stabbing other girls. We have her on video going after people with a knife and folks have made her out to be a victim. No one showed a single shred of sympathy for the other girls that were being attacked with a knife. 

Bring on the social workers. Let's disarm the cops and see how it goes. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 3
37 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

There is no way what Chauvin did was acceptable.  He got what he deserved. That being said, I agree with this statement. The events yesterday in Columbus OH are a great example of this. We've entered a new era where no matter what the circumstances are, if a black person is killed by police it immediately leads to protests and outrage. Don't even wait for the facts to come out. Celebrities were tweeting about it and folks like Ben Crump immediately jumped at the chance to get involved. 

I couldn't believe how hard the cops had to tip toe around the issue in the press conference yesterday. They had to go on and on about how tragic it was that a girl was killed after she began stabbing other girls. We have her on video going after people with a knife and folks have made her out to be a victim. No one showed a single shred of sympathy for the other girls that were being attacked with a knife. 

Bring on the social workers. Let's disarm the cops and see how it goes. 

From a former LEO's perspective, the shoot was technically warranted. But one must look at the circumstances: people experiencing fight or flight experience tunnel-vision and focus their hearing on the threat. It is probable that the girl didn't see or hear the cop. Regardless of your age, you don't settle and argument with a knife because bad things are bound to happen to you.

Edited by E4 No More
  • Like 2
14 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

the shoot want technically warranted.

Was or was not warranted?  If stabbing someone or even attempting to stab someone with a knife doesn't justify deadly force, I'm not sure what would. All it takes is one slash to the throat and one of the other girls could have died. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Was or was not warranted?  If stabbing someone or even attempting to stab someone with a knife doesn't justify deadly force, I'm not sure what would. All it takes is one slash to the throat and one of the other girls could have died. 

Was. I corrected the post.

My brain works faster than my big fingers.

Edited by E4 No More

On this site I must be in the minority as I seen nothing wrong in what he did to restrain an uncooperative perp.  Arguably, the fault lies more on the bystanders who created a hectic scene and had the LEOs on the defensive to keep them back, if the scene had been more controlled, they may have noticed the medical distress faster, probably dies anyway, but they would have started CPR or something.  The POS died of an OD, period.  A sad day for justice, and will have repercussions for years to come, as no sane person will put themselves in that situation by becoming, or staying,  a LEO in this environment.

• Like 6

Make no mistake, law enforcement is under attack all over this country just for doing their job.  The black community views the police as the enemy. Black leaders do everything they can to promote that view. You end up with bad cops because good men just don't want the BS or a target on their backs just for trying to do their job. This is why so many major cities are seriously short of police officers. Its also why the new officers they do get aren't exactly the best or brightest. 

Arm yourself and watch your six. Because before long, there won't be anybody to come to your rescue. 

• Like 1