GE Appliances Suck!

2 hours ago, DL126 said:

The wife and I bought a new fridge yesterday.

From all the info we could gather over the last month, we decided the best route was to assume they're all junk and it's gonna break. We were pretty well told as much by a guy in a local Sears store who seemed pretty knowledgeable.
So she ignored brand names, picked out the one that she liked the best, and we paid $189.00 xtra for a 5 year protection plan.

The amazing part of this is that you found a Sears store ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Indeed a rarity nowadays!

Guy had a Kenmore unit sitting there that was over $4K.
Stated that he wouldn't recommend someone even buying that one w/o a protection plan.

Similar to automobiles, there is far too much technology involved just to keep your damn food cold.
A whole lot to go wrong!

GE used to the gold standard.

When we bought our house in Nashville (21.5 years ago when you could afford a house in Nashville) we bought GE/kenmore appliances (oven, refrig, dish washer). All lasted 20 years or more. The oven finally died in 2019, the fridg died this past summer (thank you stimulus check) and the dishwasher is still working. 

I don’t think anything is built to last that long anymore. It’s all “disposable”. When we told the sales folks that the appliances we were replacing were 20+ years old, they were amazed. 

Heck. the OLD  brown GE refrigerator we took out of the kitchen in 1999 is still working in my in-laws pantry. I bet it is close to 40 years old 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

GE used to the gold standard.

When we bought our house in Nashville (21.5 years ago when you could afford a house in Nashville) we bought GE/kenmore appliances (oven, refrig, dish washer). All lasted 20 years or more. The oven finally died in 2019, the fridg died this past summer (thank you stimulus check) and the dishwasher is still working. 

I don’t think anything is built to last that long anymore. It’s all “disposable”. When we told the sales folks that the appliances we were replacing were 20+ years old, they were amazed. 

Heck. the OLD  brown GE refrigerator we took out of the kitchen in 1999 is still working in my in-laws pantry. I bet it is close to 40 years old 

I don't expect the new appliances to last 20 years, but less than 4 years? Hell no! They should at least last 10.

2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

During our home search a few months ago we actually saw some houses that had kitchens dating back to the 1970's. They still had the original appliances and I can only assume they were still functional. 

Moved into my house in 1991.  At the time, it had a relatively new range, oven and dishwasher, Magic Chef brand (no idea who makes/made these).  They're all still there, although one of the range potentiometers is out and another is kind of flaky now ...

3 hours ago, No_0ne said:

Moved into my house in 1991.  At the time, it had a relatively new range, oven and dishwasher, Magic Chef brand (no idea who makes/made these).  They're all still there, although one of the range potentiometers is out and another is kind of flaky now ...

Magic Chef was a Maytag brand in the 90's.  I used to work at the plant in Cleveland where they were made. 

On 4/22/2021 at 8:15 PM, Dirtshooter said:

Appliances are like cars. I will wager the new 2021 model of your choice will be in the junkyard before my 1993 Z-71 is, why you ask.  Because I can FIX this one, this new crap was destined for the junkyard!!  A 1963 would be an even better option.

I had a friend of mine ask me, if I was going to buy a new car what would I buy. My reply to him was a 1965 Chevy Impala Super sport. He looked at me and said your kidding, Right?  And I said nope. I would begin checking salvage yards for a complete car maybe minus a motor and tranny and buy it for about $100.00 dollars and begin restoring it from the ground up. There are many shops out their that do complete restorations. When the car is completely restored you will have between 8 to $10,000.00 in the car but you will have a very nice new 65 Chevy SS and it would be new to you so it would be a new car and a much better car than a 2021 that you would pay $279.00 for 88 months for and end up paying over $200,000.00 if you did actually pay it off. That is why so many people lease cars these days. They know they will never pay one off so every 2 or 3 years they trade and have a new car and a new car note. Also it costs far less to insure a 65 Chevy than a 2021 Kia.....JMHO

• Like 2