Shifting towards looking at the Crossville/Cookville area

1 hour ago, user1716 said:

Do you mean it's difficult to find a handyman, or a plumber

Yes, that's what I mean. You may find a different situation wherever you move.  I live half an hour from Crossville, and less than an hour from Knoxville, but have found that it's really difficult to find skilled or unskilled labor of any kind. There's a retirement / resort community nearby, and it seems that most of the trades people get enough work there and really don't want to come the extra distance. Again, your mileage may vary.

• Like 2

I'm used to that here on the shore, so it won't be a big shock. I leave messages that say I will pay in cash money. No phone call back. Several have their voice mail shut down.

Congratulations and welcome to the area!  There's a gun and knife show in town this weekend.  If you have any questions about the local area, feel free to PM me.   I think you'll like the area, the people here are very friendly and helpful.

I remember seeing signs for that show while we were down there looking! My timing sucks sometimes...

Yeah, most folks are very friendly and polite to strangers and I hope to not be a stranger there for very long! 

Just had a realtor gal come through our house here yesterday afternoon, my main task from her? De-clutter! Well, duh, sister, I knew that, I just don't WANT to. But I need to start "wanting to" right quick...

Eye on the prize, Christopher, eye on the prize...  Get it done!

Frontier Firearms? In Kingston? Mental note made; "check them out..."

It's not going to happen right away, but I plan on putting a simple range in, once all things wife and dog are taken care of.  Man, I can't wait! The Navy has moved me around so many times, I've come to dread moving, and we've accumulated so much crap, but it's GOOD crap, darn it!

Oh well, one more time...

• 2 weeks later...

We left Nashville (Crieve Hall area) and moved to the plateau back at the end of 2014. We moved into our current home at the beginning of 2015. Cookeville is selling pretty high right now. I would recommend looking outside of Cookeville in the smaller "incorporated" areas. We live in an area outside of Cookeville (Jackson County) called Tick. Ridiculous name? Yes. But we live on a ridge between 2 valleys and honestly it's amazing. You have to look, but there are hidden gems for sure. But we're 15 minutes to Cookeville or Livingston. So it's super convenient.

Cookeville has TONS of libs (thanks Tech) but there are tons and tons of conservatives. We live close to Bend in the River which is an outdoor range (less than 10 minutes away) but I haven't been there. I know quite a few vets that shoot there and love it. There are quite a few good gun shops up here. When we first moved here I frequented The Gun Shop and Trading Post in Livingston. I haven't been in ages though because Monkey said I spent too much money there. There is a shop called Outdoor Junction with a range also right off of 40, but I won't step foot in there. Bad experience while trying to buy. 

Quite honestly, I love our house here. We have 4 acres and it is quiet. "Town" is too busy for me, so clearly you know I hate going to Nashville now. BUT the beautiful part about living here is that we're really a middle area between Nashville and Knoxville. I can make it to either city in about 1.5 hours. Personally at this point, I prefer Knoxville for shopping but we still return to Nashville for Dr. Appointments and what not. If you are interested in help looking in this area, DM me and I can send you realtor names if you need one. Good luck!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, MrsMonkeyMan2500 said:

We left Nashville (Crieve Hall area) and moved to the plateau back at the end of 2014. We moved into our current home at the beginning of 2015. Cookeville is selling pretty high right now. I would recommend looking outside of Cookeville in the smaller "incorporated" areas. We live in an area outside of Cookeville (Jackson County) called Tick. Ridiculous name? Yes. But we live on a ridge between 2 valleys and honestly it's amazing. You have to look, but there are hidden gems for sure. But we're 15 minutes to Cookeville or Livingston. So it's super convenient.

Cookeville has TONS of libs (thanks Tech) but there are tons and tons of conservatives. We live close to Bend in the River which is an outdoor range (less than 10 minutes away) but I haven't been there. I know quite a few vets that shoot there and love it. There are quite a few good gun shops up here. When we first moved here I frequented The Gun Shop and Trading Post in Livingston. I haven't been in ages though because Monkey said I spent too much money there. There is a shop called Outdoor Junction with a range also right off of 40, but I won't step foot in there. Bad experience while trying to buy. 

Quite honestly, I love our house here. We have 4 acres and it is quiet. "Town" is too busy for me, so clearly you know I hate going to Nashville now. BUT the beautiful part about living here is that we're really a middle area between Nashville and Knoxville. I can make it to either city in about 1.5 hours. Personally at this point, I prefer Knoxville for shopping but we still return to Nashville for Dr. Appointments and what not. If you are interested in help looking in this area, DM me and I can send you realtor names if you need one. Good luck!

I know(roughly) about where you are! I've shot at Bend of the River several times, but it's been long ago. Dad, my brother-in-law and I were there together on my last trip. Dad proceeded to educate us on the finer points of Skeet shooting! Kicked our butts!

Miss him and those days. Actually I miss Tad as well.

• Like 2

Johnson Nursery! Amazingly awesome place for plants!

@hipower If you ever get up this way again, maybe we can go shooting. We've been here 6 years and never been. There's about 1,000 acres behind us and our neighbor lets us go down to his old shrimp pond and shoot there. I know a Korean Vet that shoots at BoR and he's hilarious and super amazing. I wouldn't mind finally visiting.

Well, loan's on track (knock wood), near ready to list the one here in Virginia, heading out to close on 1 Sep, but early enough by a few more days to do a walkthrough. I suppose getting a contractor out there to answer the phone is as tough there as anywhere else these days. I need to put up a fence and have a little grading done, maybe rock the driveway...  We're packing boxes and Lowes totes out here, "de-cluttering" for the realtor, place to store my "unmentionables" until we have proper storage in place out there. Do many folks have security systems out in Crossville? We're looking at Ring, I think.

Darn, so much more to do...

Moving around for the Navy taught us how, but didn't make us learn to love it.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone around Crossville have to use Frontier DSL for connectivity, and if so, how bad is it? The privacy of rural(er) life is not without it’s sacrifice. I have Verizon DSL over in VA, and I can watch  two streaming TVs, surf on laptop and iPad without too much problem, wonder if this is similar or worse here?

Not a lot of options where I am setting up now.

I had to buy Frontier from the git go. now its been nearly 7 years and with the 12mb upgrade, its not been bad but does go down on occasion. The CS on it sucks tho. They dick you around alot before they will just replace a bad modem. I watch mostly off a fire stick off the router modem and havent had too many buffering issues on the movies. I have Verizon phone now but T-mobil serves this are the best and I might switch soon to it. My Brother in law moved here to Crossville a couple years ago from Glouster VA and they love it here. Hes retired Army.  Thanks for your Service. May God help the kids thinking about it.  I'm retire NY Corrections with a professional Gunsmith back ground. If you need an at the moment wrench over one of your hammers, hook up. I'm right next to the Cumberland mtn State Park. We share many of the same social principals.

Thanks for the come back, xtriggerman, that makes me feel a little better. We were getting ourselves so worked up over that detail, when we should just try it (and I'm going to, scheduled install on 20 Sept). Sounds like we're pretty close to each other in location and I continue to be overjoyed to be around so many like minded patriots.

I work part time here in VA at a small gun counter in a hardware store, but as in many places, guns are (were) in short supply. Wife and I walked into a little gunshop in Crossville, the Armory or something like that, and I made mention that they were well stocked in AR type rifles. The young gentleman behind the counter replied; "We're getting ready for a war".  Very matter of factly, as though they were umbrellas and thunderclouds are rolling in. In times recent past, I can recall pontificating much the same to customers here on the shore. I told my wife "This is where we are meant to be" and I believe she understood. When we come back out, I'll buy you a cold beverage and pick your brain for local area advice, if you would be so inclined.

• 2 months later...

Well, we've got two loads out there so far, and another is going out in a week, we are definitely seeing the finish line, but it's taken forever to get to this point it seems. This house (in VA) is on the market, been shown several times and is getting empty fast. I've been packing up the detached garage and man, you don't know how much stuff you accumulate!

The dog is here with me (in VA), but he see's that something is going on, and he's wrapped pretty tight about it. I tell him it's okay, we're not leaving him, but he doesn't understand. Heck, he has a nice new fence at his new home, just waiting for him, I do see a lot of folks let their dogs run loose like we did many, many years ago. I'm not sure that we will do that. ARE their leash laws out in the rural areas in Cumberland County?

At the new place, we have an open fronted carport that from every other side, looks like a garage. I'm either going to expand the slab and put a full front on it, or tear it down and put a metal building on the expanded slab instead. Does anybody have a recommendation in that area for a contractor for that?