Been out of the loop for a while and need some advice for a new rifle build

RC3

Its been over two years since I built anything and the stars finally alined today. After years and years of waiting and sitting with my thumb up my ass, I finally bought almost all the parts needed for a build that has been on my to build list for years now.

I finally have all the parts needed to build a .458 rifle. But now comes the part I need help with, lowers. WTF happened to all the lowers and all the prices? Can someone point me in the right direction to a lower that wont cost me an arm and a leg? Dont have to be anything fancy, just not high enough for me to refinance the house.

I truly wish you the best of luck, if you find a lower expect to pay more than you think. With the Commies in the White House, the house of representatives and the Senate, we’re screwed.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
59 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I think I got a Palmetto State Armory ad today that had lowers for $99. Sadly, that may be about as good as any right now.

Yes, I got that email as well. I've been waiting to get a cheap complete 16" upper from them, but the price has started going up instead of down again. I bought my last lower from Royal Range, but that's been over a year ago.

Found a Spikes Crusader for 99. About all I could afford that day. Still have it. Rolling around in my head is a planned "tribute" rifle to my late brother-in-law. He was always telling me I should have an 18 or 20 inch barreled rifle. Maybe I will get around to it. Have pretty much all needed for the Spikes...good LPK, better trigger than I'd normally have bought, a good set of Troy sights, my NIB BCG, and my BCM Charging Handle. Darn close to being there. lol

Got an email for Thunder Ranch complete uppers today. They look pretty good. 700 */- for the upper, depending on add goodies.   I didn't really like the hand guards though. I keep coming back to the old MagPul stuff. Just old school I guess.

Not able to spend  that right now though. Had to replace AC/Heat Pump unit last week and I'm broke. My SS check sure didn't cover it!

Might have to offer another pistol or 2 to offset my lost cash!

Edited by hipower
  • Sad 2
On 4/23/2021 at 10:50 PM, gregintenn said:

I think I got a Palmetto State Armory ad today that had lowers for $99. Sadly, that may be about as good as any right now.

Yeah, no. Their prices have become a little too ridiculous for my taste. Plus, every single ffl treats the lowers as a full rifle transfer so that is almost an instant $50 on top of what ever the price originally was.

On 4/23/2021 at 11:49 PM, hipower said:

Yes, I got that email as well. I've been waiting to get a cheap complete 16" upper from them, but the price has started going up instead of down again. I bought my last lower from Royal Range, but that's been over a year ago.

Found a Spikes Crusader for 99. About all I could afford that day. Still have it. Rolling around in my head is a planned "tribute" rifle to my late brother-in-law. He was always telling me I should have an 18 or 20 inch barreled rifle. Maybe I will get around to it. Have pretty much all needed for the Spikes...good LPK, better trigger than I'd normally have bought, a good set of Troy sights, my NIB BCG, and my BCM Charging Handle. Darn close to being there. lol

Got an email for Thunder Ranch complete uppers today. They look pretty good. 700 */- for the upper, depending on add goodies.   I didn't really like the hand guards though. I keep coming back to the old MagPul stuff. Just old school I guess.

Not able to spend  that right now though. Had to replace AC/Heat Pump unit last week and I'm broke. My SS check sure didn't cover it!

Might have to offer another pistol or 2 to offset my lost cash!

Check out bear creek arsenal. I have used their uppers before and they are great. Finally decided to buy their 458 soccom upper (after doing everything possible not to buy it for the past four years) and just need to find a decent lower to stuff it on. 

Been calling around to shops in the area and everyone is somehow sold out

I purchased a few lowers from Palmetto before I retired.  I should have purchased the other necessary parts for completion as well.  As said above, the SS checks are not supportive of current gun parts and ammo prices.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tnhawk said:

I purchased a few lowers from Palmetto before I retired.  I should have purchased the other necessary parts for completion as well.  As said above, the SS checks are not supportive of current gun parts and ammo prices.

Amen brother! I'm very glad that I listened to Tad(b-i-l) some years ago, and bought some LPK kits, a few OOPs kits, a couple of economy trigger kits(and the expensive one I mentioned above), some BCGs and a few charging handles. Did backtrack and buy a couple of cheap, but decent looking BUIS sets. They are metal rather than plastic. Don't remember the brand at the moment. Also several different handgrips and forward hand stops. Nothing real expensive, but it all adds up. 

I do regret not taking advantage of the lower pricing on complete uppers last year. Still might find something to interest me.

As I go thru boxes, I keep finding other things. Maybe there's an upper in one of them. lol 

9 hours ago, RC3 said:

Yeah, no. Their prices have become a little too ridiculous for my taste. Plus, every single ffl treats the lowers as a full rifle transfer so that is almost an instant $50 on top of what ever the price originally was.

Check out bear creek arsenal. I have used their uppers before and they are great. Finally decided to buy their 458 soccom upper (after doing everything possible not to buy it for the past four years) and just need to find a decent lower to stuff it on. 

Been calling around to shops in the area and everyone is somehow sold out

I can't say that I fully agree with you on PSA's pricing, but I guess it depends on what you are after.

Yes, the transfer and tics fees can add up on a lower purchase if you buy online, but the only place that I know has a few in stock(Anderson btw, has a price you would not believe...hold on here. 349 each. And selling all he can get.

I've had good luck with all I've bought from them...so far. lol. But I agree they aren't top shelf products, but not bottom either. Good enough for a wannabe operator like me though. 

I'll look into Bear Creek. I've heard the name, but have no knowledge of them.

4 hours ago, hipower said:

I can't say that I fully agree with you on PSA's pricing, but I guess it depends on what you are after.

Yes, the transfer and tics fees can add up on a lower purchase if you buy online, but the only place that I know has a few in stock(Anderson btw, has a price you would not believe...hold on here. 349 each. And selling all he can get.

I've had good luck with all I've bought from them...so far. lol. But I agree they aren't top shelf products, but not bottom either. Good enough for a wannabe operator like me though. 

I'll look into Bear Creek. I've heard the name, but have no knowledge of them.

I would they actually lowered their prices to keep up with times unlike psa. Same kit i got two years ago for around $470 is now $900.