Classifieds etiquette

I agree the first "I'll take it" should have the opportunity.  Buy saying that comes with an implied understanding that the money is available, and you're agreeing with whatever the seller posted about the conditions of the transfer (location, ID, ect).

If someone isn't ready to move now, they shouldn't get to hold up the seller from moving to another and making the sale.

• Like 6

I agree, however, I believe the seller should set the terms that you speak of or the item should not be listed.  I wish there was a minimum post count before you can sell an item, but not my house.

Edited by RED333
Beacuse I can!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are in complete agreement. I’ve posted I’ll take it on a couple of recent ads only to be told I’m too late. This means I will show up with cash at an agreed to time and place and leave with the item unless it was grossly misrepresented.

A bird in the hand...

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

We are in complete agreement. I’ve posted I’ll take it on a couple of recent ads only to be told I’m too late. This means I will show up with cash at an agreed to time and place and leave with the item unless it was grossly misrepresented.

A bird in the hand...

I have made deals in PMs and not in the "add", I some times like to keep things just between me and the seller. If I step on toes I do apologize.

• Like 7

A few years ago I missed a 44 Auto Mag by just 3 minutes, man I was mad. The seller was very understanding and sent a screen shot of the times of the PMs he received. I did thank him for the effort, I was still mad, not at the seller, me for being slow.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

This. It would be nice if it was stated in the ad but I believe the first I’ll take it wins whether in public or pm. 

I was just about to say this. If I decide to buy from someone here I PM them and don't necessarily need the rest of community knowing what I buy. The first person that speaks up publicly or privately should get it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It's always nice if the seller posts the conditions, but not necessary.  If the seller asks for public notices, I'll give them, otherwise i typically go with a PM.  As others have stated, I prefer purchases to remain between myself and the seller ...

https://www.lollydaskal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Screen-shot-2013-07-22-at-3.40.10-PM.png

Edited by No_0ne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would amend my earlier post to clarify "I'll take it" can be in the thread or via PM.  However, I do think the seller should update the thread with a pending status as soon as able, which would be after reading the PM as a courtesy to others.

• Like 6

It's very hard to include every possible detail of a transaction in the sales ad especially if the item being sold is used.  To me, "I'll take it" is a firm commitment to the seller that you will buy, period.   I prefer to post a "PM Sent" in the thread to let others know and communicate privately with the seller.  We've never failed to work out those details and complete the deal.  Plus I've gotten to know some great TGO members in the process.

• Like 5
12 minutes ago, WindHawk said:

To me, "I'll take it" is a firm commitment to the seller that you will buy, period.   I prefer to post a "PM Sent" in the thread to let others know and communicate privately with the seller.  We've never failed to work out those details and complete the deal.  Plus I've gotten to know some great TGO members in the process.

This.  It would be nice if people called dibs by posting “PM sent” or something similar to let others know to back off, but first interest always wins, even if  everyone else doesn’t know about it.

The seller also has a responsibility to promptly indicate in their ad that the goods are SPF or something to that effect, like immediately.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 4

I am ok with either, but in many cases I prefer a public I'll take it gets it.  Only reason is it's there for everyone to see and the buyer can be held accountable.  The chance you take as a buyer is that you better be sure you are taking it one way or the other.

I have done it and once I got there thought, man not really as nice as it looked, but them's the beans as they say.  My word means something so I won't back out unless it was egregious like posting photo's of a different gun, etc, but that doesn't happen here (I hope).

• Like 1
4 hours ago, RED333 said:

A few years ago I missed a 44 Auto Mag by just 3 minutes, man I was mad. The seller was very understanding and sent a screen shot of the times of the PMs he received. I did thank him for the effort, I was still mad, not at the seller, me for being slow.

Done that. And have the T-shirt labeled "slow and stupid" to boot!

14 hours ago, Garufa said:

The seller also has a responsibility to promptly indicate in their ad that the goods are SPF or something to that effect, like immediately.

I pretty much agree with all that has been posted...but especially this.

I sometimes wonder if folks simply hadn't explored their posting options. Bedside simply editing the title, we have multiple tags at our disposal. I'm an old technotard but seem to be able to muddle through this.

Maybe if listings were properly tagged, in a timely fashion, we wouldn't see so many 2-3 year old listings with a "Is this still available?" posting from new members... 🥴

As another piece of 'Classifieds etiquette', I find it annoying when the seller wipes all information about what was being sold from the original ad.  I like having older posts available so I can see what an item sold for in the past.  Wiping out the first post content or the thread title isn't necessary.  Adding "SOLD" to the title (not replacing it) or adding a post to the thread stating it's sold is adequate rather than destroying the history in the classified forums.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, billmeek said:

As another piece of 'Classifieds etiquette', I find it annoying when the seller wipes all information about what was being sold from the original ad.  I like having older posts available so I can see what an item sold for in the past.  Wiping out the first post content or the thread title isn't necessary.  Adding "SOLD" to the title (not replacing it) or adding a post to the thread stating it's sold is adequate rather than destroying the history in the classified forums.

I always remove at least the price if I don't also remove the entire add.  For me, the problem is A) I prefer not to have everyone know what  I bought (and have) as well as what I paid for everything so I do the same for others and B) I think it just adds to the thought that everything is overpriced because someone can see that it sold 2 years ago for X amount.  I figure most have an idea of what the going price is for what they are looking at.  I would use Gunbroker and look at recent sales (which actually sold) as my barometer.    To each his own.  

Why A is important is because as I mentioned earlier, I do buy many items by saying I'll take it in the thread.  I see both sides, but prefer that anything I buy be wiped from the post (and future searches of people on the interweb).

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...