To Sling or not to Sling...

12 minutes ago, hipower said:

Well, new to the sling idea for AR style rifles/pistols. Really looking for thoughts/ideas for a novice. Types. Brands. Costs.

Basically anything you might have to tell.

Thanks.

Not new to slings, but also interested in improving what I have...

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Magpul MS4 has pretty much become my goto.  I use it for everything.

Thanks. That's what the guy from Classic Firearms is touting this morning.

What about single vs double attachment point slings? Just individual preference, or valid differences in them?

• Admin Team
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

TFBtv just dropped a video that very much pertinent to the subject. 

*language warning* The dude doing the talking spent a career in the combat arms and talks like it. 

That’s a lot of earned wisdom in a short, easy to consume package. 

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, felinesNfreedom said:

Vickers sling from blue force gear is my go to. I prefer the pull tab over the plastic slide magpul has.

This is " The Way "...  Spend the xtra dough here...

leroy...

• Like 2

I'm about as old school as you can get and have always considered a sling a must have on most any kind of rifle. I prefer the simple 2 point sling. I'd guess that probably 95% of my rifles have a sling. Regardless of action type or purpose. Most of mine are set up for simple over the shoulder carry and adjusted for the simple old arm wrap shooting position. 

I own one AR and its set up for a 2 point front carry. Just like in the video. However, I never really considered the quick adjustment thing this guy shows. I think I'll work on that. 😉

I do own a 9mm AR pistol style PDW. Its the only thing I've ever found to work with a single point set up. Its small size does work better with this. But It also has QD swivels just in case. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the information, observations and to chucktshoes for the video. A lot to learn, and I'm not stupid enough to think that's all. I hope.

Anyone wanna chime in with thoughts and recommendations...please do.

Lesson Question 1. Slings do/do not usually come with attachment hardware?

Lesson Observation 1. Looks like a 2 point for a novice like me.

Edited by hipower
  • Moderators
1 minute ago, hipower said:

Thanks guys for the information, observations and to chucktshoes for the video. A lot to learn, and I'm not stupid enough to think that's all. I hope.

Anyone wanna chime in with thoughts and recommendations...please do.

Lesson Question 1. Slings do/do not usually come with attachment hardware?

It varies. Attachment points can be purchased afterwards or included depending on what you select. Different manufacturers have differing options. The rifle attachment points must match the ones on the sling and are purchased separately. 

If you decide to go with standard button style QD swivels, I recommend ensuring that they are easily removable/replaceable. Otherwise if the QD point breaks, the sling is broken as well. QD swivels absolutely do wear out and break so ya don’t want to end up having to replace an expensive sling for a $5 part. 

• Like 1
Just now, Chucktshoes said:

It varies. Attachment points can be purchased afterwards or included depending on what you select. Different manufacturers have differing options. The rifle attachment points must match the ones on the sling and are purchased separately. 

If you decide to go with standard button style QD swivels, I recommend ensuring that they are easily removable/replaceable. Otherwise if the QD point breaks, the sling is broken as well. QD swivels absolutely do wear out and break so ya don’t want to end up having to replace an expensive sling for a $5 part. 

Thanks. You read my mind. lol I was looking at the price differences and thought about it.

I am a big fan of the ferro concepts slingster and the edgar sherman slings.  Both are pretty simple 2 point slings with quick adjustment capability, my pick between the two would be the slingster, just be advised the metal adjustment buckle will rub against your upper/optic.

For my SBR, I made a sling that's pretty much a low rent copy of the Viking Tactics Sling.  Having that easy to adjust length makes using the sling for a support hack super simple.  I never got into the QD points...guess I'm paranoid about the sling popping off at the wrong moment.

While I embarrassingly admit I experimented with a three point sling for a bit (the frosted tips of slings), for probably 80% of my time in the Army across four deployments, I used an M-16 rifle length sling on an M4 carbine.  I connected it to the forward sling attachment point with a few inches of clove hitched 550 cord (aka: parachute cord) to make it less rigid and wore it over my firing shoulder, under my non-firing shoulder.  The extra length was for getting it around my body armor with enough room to move it to the side if I wanted space in front of my arms while carrying anything wearing the body armor.  Back at the base without full battle rattle on, all that length meant the rifle hung not unlike a sword, but it was just fine for me and feels comfortable to this day.

Edited by btq96r
29 minutes ago, btq96r said:

For my SBR, I made a sling that's pretty much a low rent copy of the Viking Tactics Sling.  Having that easy to adjust length makes using the sling for a support hack super simple.  I never got into the QD points...guess I'm paranoid about the sling popping off at the wrong moment.

While I embarrassingly admit I experimented with a three point sling for a bit (the frosted tips of slings), for probably 80% of my time in the Army across four deployments, I used an M-16 rifle length sling on an M4 carbine.  I connected it to the forward sling attachment point with a few inches of clove hitched 550 cord (aka: parachute cord) to make it less rigid and wore it over my firing shoulder, under my non-firing shoulder.  The extra length was for getting it around my body armor with enough room to move it to the side if I wanted space in front of my arms while carrying anything wearing the body armor.  Back at the base without full battle rattle on, all that length meant the rifle hung not unlike a sword, but it was just fine for me and feels comfortable to this day.

I still have a 3-point on a couple of my ARs, I like them and were very useful on my deployments.  Easy to transition to a sidearm if need be, though never had to, and the one I was issued could be used as a 2, or 3 point.  The only thing I didn't like is that the connection points were a bit bulky, kind of a snap hook with a cover, I would rather use the QD type connectors, which then were not available to attach onto our M4s.

15 hours ago, felinesNfreedom said:

Vickers sling from blue force gear is my go to. I prefer the pull tab over the plastic slide magpul has.

I have an MS4, and a Vickers. And, I have 3 QD points on all my rifles. If you add this to the Vickers, it becomes an MS4. I did...

https://magpul.com/ms1-ms4-adapter.html?mp_global_color=118

mag519-blk_magpul_ms1_ms4_adapter_01_1.jpg

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 2