Cicadas generation X

Looks like you folks in Eastern Tn. may be having a few visitors before long. icon-smile-1.gif

As the summer of 2004 waned, so did the lifespan, just a few weeks long, of those adult cicadas, and the larvae of the next generation dropped back to the earth where they would spend the next 17 years.

This spring -- 17 years later -- those cicadas are part of Brood X (ominous as the "X" sounds, it stands for the Roman numeral ten) and for all that time they have been underground eating and growing.

Researchers aren't sure exactly how many will surface, except that it will be in the billions: They estimate the numbers will be at least 1.5 million per acre, which could mean as many as 30 of the creatures covering your average square foot.

cicadas.png

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/cicada-invasion-17-years-underground-billions-emerge-spring/story?id=76921532

Well, if I don't have to go out and fight them...lol.  We have experienced two really bad times with them. Both involved our dogs.

A long haired Chow was for some reason just like catnip for a cat to them. Cody would venture out and just be attacked by them. It was miserable for her. the critters seemed attracted to her fur. We spent a long summer trying to keep her clean. She would just roll around on the ground trying to get them off, so crushed cicada guts and long black hair was not a good combination we found.

The second time, the first actually,(I got my times in reverse) was with a pair of Huskies. One long hair and one short hair pair. They absolutely loved to chase and crunch on the cicadas. Seemed to like the taste of them apparently. But it left them with horrible smelling breath!

Our Molly, a Border Collie mix, has never seen them. I don't know what to expect from her.

EDITED  Hmmm. Looking at the above chart, thanks xsubsailor, Nashville area might not be bad. Actually might miss out until 2024. But that's just my guesswork looking at the projections on that map.

Edited by hipower