Problems with "Roscoe"

pop pop

Had a prostate test yesterday and need some remedy. My urologists' proposed "Roto Rooter" or a new procedure where they use "Rezum Water Vapor Therapy." 

My swettie, a retired RN, wants me to have the vapor therapy. Says R R is brutal. Ah the rigors of getting old. I don't enjoy getting up 2 and 3 times per night plus going every 2 hours daily. Makes daily travel eventful and want to travel out West in June/July. 

Any of you old guys had any procedures done? What do you recommend? 

Listen up young bucks! Your day will come, L/w.

2 hours ago, pop pop said:

Listen up young bucks! Your day will come, L/w.

Well past the point where I think I'm invincible, I've taken the wisdom of Sir Davos Seaworth from Game of Thrones when he said, "nothing f**ks you harder than time".

Hoping the best outcome for you comes to pass.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 3

From my own experience, and my opinion.

I had the R&R procedure done circa 2013. It helped...to a certain extent and for a while. Made urinating faster and easier. Relieved that "pressure" feeling. Seems to me like it was good for about 5 years and symptoms slowly return. I don't think it actually does a lot for the prostate, just cleans the urethra. Now that's just my case, and I'm sure it varies person to person. 

The Rezum Water Vapor Therapy I have no knowledge of. I will ask my urologist about on my next visit.

Edited by hipower
10 hours ago, deadeye111 said:

Check out “green laser therapy”.   Cleans channel like u would a ditch. Lol. Less painful than RR and recovery is quick.  Outpatient surgery and go home with catheter. Get in bathtub and remove it next morning.  No pain. 

Adding to my comments on this.  To set the mood for this...see my post above. 

When I had the RR done, I was told to stand in the shower and cut the little air bladder, then pull quickly. No problem. Won't feel a thing. Maybe a little tug or slight , short pain. Do it at home, he says.

I'd had a pretty bad time with infections, so the catheter had been in for a like 6 days.

The doc suggested that since my wife was a nurse she could do this for me.  I was a bit reluctant about it at this point.  It's ok, I can handle it she says.

She was fine with it until the morning of the event. 

So here I am...standing in the shower of nice warm water. I clip the little bulb and say to her...ok, do it. She says No. I'm not doing it.

So I'm standing there...like the old adage, with my roscoe in hand...looking at her, dumbfounded. Saying...but...but you said you would do it. 

Again she says No. You do it yourself. I'm not going to hurt you and have to listen to you complain. LOL It was funny. Now.

Anyway, I took a deep breathe, held it, and got ready to do the deed. 

I exhaled. I pulled. I screamed like a little girl!

They lied. It did hurt. More than just a little. Felt like pulling a half inch washer out on grass string. And that thing just kept coming as I pulled...swear it was 2 feet long! At least it felt that way.

This is a true, and embarrassing story. I swear it.

I did have a few things going on that made it worse for me, but the whole deal happened. Just this way.

Now I know things are much better now. I may have to do this procedure again. I will check all the other options you guys have mentioned first. 

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, hipower said:

... standing there...like the old adage, with my roscoe in hand...looking at her, dumbfounded. Saying...but...but you said you would do it. 

Again she says No. You do it yourself. I'm not going to hurt you and have to listen to you complain. LOL It was funny. Now.

Anyway, I took a deep breathe, held it, and got ready to do the deed. 

I exhaled. I pulled. I screamed like a little girl!

They lied. It did hurt. More than just a little. Felt like pulling a half inch washer out on grass string. And that thing just kept coming as I pulled...swear it was 2 feet long! At least it felt that way.

This is a true, and embarrassing story. I swear it.

I did have a few things going on that made it worse for me, but the whole deal happened. Just this way.

Now I know things are much better now. I may have to do this procedure again. I will check all the other options you guys have mentioned first. 

I'm sorry, but I had to laugh.  I know that it wasn't funny at the time, but... That sounds like something my wife would also do... or she'd take great pleasure in pulling it out and causing me pain... 🤣

• Like 1

Well, it was funny afterwards, and I did post it for the fun part. Also to show that not all these prostate procedures are the same. I'm glad there seems to be many more choices. Not sure I'll do it again. Might just opt for the final option. It sure would be nice to sleep thru the night again.