Colt police positive special for edc??

loadedp3at

5 minutes ago, loadedp3at said:

Would you carry this for edc? 38 special but I heard it you shoot them a lot they will go out of time. How much is too much? Are they a good care weapon? I heard they a light and I would like  that when I hike.

Light compared to ? If I HAD to have a pony edc I would go with a 2nd gen cobra or det spl. If Colt isn't top priority Smith makes several airweight 38s. 

• Like 1

If you have the Colt you asked about and are just worried about it going out of time, that's not a problem.  You can visually check the timing and lockup on a revolver.  

If you're just interested in buying a lightweight. 38 Spl for hiking, I'd take Fujimo's advice and look at other manufacturers.

You might look at a S&W 642 unless you are looking for something longer than a snubby.

From just my general obserbation the 2.5 barrel Police Positives do not show up as often as the 4 and 6. Not a real scientific observation though. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, loadedp3at said:

but I heard it you shoot them a lot they will go out of time

Seems like every time a Colt revolver is mentioned, this old myth pops up. I have never seen a Colt revolver that was out of time. If you take half way decent care of it, a Colt will out last you and then some. 

The Police Positive Special is built on Colt's "D" frame. This is the same frame as the Detective Special and Diamondback series guns are built on.  Its slightly smaller than the S&W "K" frame, but still holds six rounds. I'm quite fond of it. 

These are excellent guns and I wouldn't hesitate to carry one. In fact, I've been keeping my eyes open for a couple of years now for a nice one to buy. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a fair price for one in decent shape.  I'd be a buyer for a good one.  Exactly where is "near the dragon"?. I might be tempted to check 'em out myself. 😉

When checking them out, remember that Colts time on the trigger. Not the hammer as S&Ws and other revolvers do. This is by far the source of the out of time myth. People just don't know how to properly check a Colt. 

I've got a Colt Cobra from 1968.  I have complete confidence carrying it.  Having had both Smith J Frames and quite a few Colts, I prefer the Colt as it holds 6 rounds instead of the 5 rounds of the Smith J Frame.  The Cobra is also small and light weight.

As an old man now, I've had a half dozen or so Colt revolvers of various types, and over that time and never had an issue.  I  believe it's true that they take a real gunsmith to repair once needed, but I've never personally observed that they are more likely to need repair.

This isn't a knock on Smith and Wesson.  I really like them as well.

21 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

That's a fair price for one in decent shape.  I'd be a buyer for a good one.  Exactly where is "near the dragon"?. I might be tempted to check 'em out myself. 😉

When checking them out, remember that Colts time on the trigger. Not the hammer as S&Ws and other revolvers do. This is by far the source of the out of time myth. People just don't know how to properly check a Colt. 

The LGS is in Madisonville tn. Can't remember the name at the moment. I will go in there tomorrow.

The usual stuff. Barrel / cylinder gap, crane lock, push off, trigger, lock up, grips, etc.

However checking timing on a Colt is different. With A S&W, Ruger and I think Taurus. These guns time on the hammer. Here you want the cylinder to hit full lockup just as the hammer comes to full cock or right at hammer fall in DA. 

Colt's time on the trigger. Colt actually uses the hand as part of the cylinder locking mechanism. Here you reach full lock up when the trigger reaches the end of its travel. This sometimes happens just a hair after full cock or hammer fall. If you slowly cock the hammer and the locking bolt doesn't quite fall into place at hammer lock, pull the trigger all the way back. The cylinder should rotate just a tad to full lock up as the hammer falls. 

Many people who don't know better mistake a properly operating Colt for being out of time due to this. I truly believe this is the source of the old out of time Colt myth. 

Just as I figured, you're plumb at the other end of the state. I'll have to pass. 🙄

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned a Colt that was out of time. I have actually owned two but one still fired despite the timing concern.  I even spotted one in a shop that I was considering just to find out it had timing issues. Contrary to popular belief, it does not take a Colt armorer to fix a timing issue.  Any revolver savvy gunsmith can fix it.  Truthfully, if you want a six shooter for carry find a Charter Police Undercover, Taurus, or new Colt.  All of this assuming a Ruger or Smith is too large for you.