Is 6 still enough for today's world

Here is an article about NYPD and their shooting prowess....

https://citylimits.org/2016/11/29/nypd-gets-pressure-from-the-right-on-guns/ 

Pay attention to this passage....  

According to the NYPD’s annual firearms discharge report, individual officers fired fewer than 15 rounds in 89 percent of the combat incidents in which the NYPD was involved last year. Sixty-five percent of officers involved in what the PD calls “adversarial” shootings in 2015 fired five or fewer bullets.

What that just said is that in 35% of the incidents they fired more than 5 and in 11% they fired 15 or MORE . 

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • Thanks 2
On 7/9/2021 at 7:40 AM, Moped said:

I have different guns for different places.  I'm working from home right now and have on a 1911 in an old Jackass shoulder holster.  There is an FNH FNS beside my bed and I have a vest that I wear that has a S&W 442 in it that I throw on, when I do to the store.  And yesterday, I carried a Ruger LC9S Pro, which actually is my normal carry pistol. And I hike with a Taurus .357 Tracker with a 4 inch barrel in a Recon Pouch on my chest.

I'm one of those that has different pistols for different things. I'm odd.  but I'm comfortable with either a revolver or a semi-auto.  Doesn't matter which.

My clothing, the environment I'm in, and any number of factors determine the weapon I carry.  In my younger days it was a 1911 or nothing.  Now a Shield or 442 is a common choice.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, tnhawk said:

My clothing, the environment I'm in, and any number of factors determine the weapon I carry.  In my younger days it was a 1911 or nothing.  Now a Shield or 442 is a common choice.

Exactly. 🙂 

Just as a final thought. It is far more important to me that I have a weapon with me that I know how to use and am competent with.  I don’t forsee encounters with multiple immediate deadly threats at once, could be wrong!  

As such, the smaller more comfortable weapons like a LCP or SW snubbie far outweigh round count. Hell a good holster far outweighs round count imo  

So I’m a basic kinda guy

• Like 1
On 7/3/2021 at 11:03 AM, tercel89 said:

I haven't read the previous posts but I'll say this. COMFORT RULES !!!!  My Ruger LCP holds 6+1 and I carry one in the chamber so that's 7 rds. This gun is thin and small. It fits in my front pocket with ease in a pocket holster by DeSantis. Lets be honest , when your wife or husband wants you to go to the store to grab something at an unexpected time like while you are working on something or mowing the yard , I don't want to put on my thick gun belt and load up a leather holster. I love big guns and carry them like a G21 , G17 , 1911 , and so on . But the ease of the small LCP at the last minute of the wife telling me to make a grocery store for ice cream is perfect. If in doubt carry a spare mag. It's like wearing body armor. If it ain't comfortable you ain't going to wear it. I wore the same POS vest for 5 years because I didn't want to complain and stand out as a complainer but after 5 years I said the hell with that and I got my new vest cut the way that it fits my body , my workplace  sent it back to the company twice for cuts.  Bottom line is that if a gun isn't comfortable carrying it then you more than likely wont carry it all the time. A gun with a small capacity is  better than no gun . 

Great news in the LCP world!   The LCP Max in .380 is just now becoming available.   Same size as the LCP2, but standard mag is 10+1 and you can also get a 12+1.   

MSRP is $449.  I just reserved one for $369.   Gonna load it up with the new Federal Hydra-Shok Deep ammo, which is revolutionary for .380. 

Check out the reviews on LCP Max and the Federal ammo.  The gun writers are going crazy over both.

Now we can have a true pocket gun with 11 or 13 rounds of great performing defensive ammo.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, QuackerSmacker said:

Great news in the LCP world!   The LCP Max in .380 is just now becoming available.   Same size as the LCP2, but standard mag is 10+1 and you can also get a 12+1.   

MSRP is $449.  I just reserved one for $369.   Gonna load it up with the new Federal Hydra-Shok Deep ammo, which is revolutionary for .380. 

Check out the reviews on LCP Max and the Federal ammo.  The gun writers are going crazy over both.

Now we can have a true pocket gun with 11 or 13 rounds of great performing defensive ammo.

I did see the NRA write up on it. I thought it looked pretty good! I like the enhanced sights on it. 

On 7/14/2021 at 5:24 PM, QuackerSmacker said:

I think this is something I might do some trading on!!!

On 6/2/2021 at 4:02 PM, Oh Shoot said:

Great minds...

I've pocket carried my Kahr PM9 for at least a decade now, 6+1 with 6 more in another pocket. Probably plenty. But I never had quite the same secure feeling of my first 3 years or so with an XD subbie carried IWB.

So got by Harvey's the other day,  first time in well over a year, and surprisingly they had just gotten some Hellcats. Compared to the PM it is .5" longer, all other dimensions same. No brainer, jumped on it. Soon as my Alabama pocket holster comes in, I'll be doing 11+1 plus whatever spare I decide on (Springfield is making a 15 rounder now, so that might be an option).

Also, though the Kahr is rather unique trigger which I don't hate, I do prefer the exact release point and short reset of the Hellcat.

I do wish they had named it something a bit less bellicose sounding just for the PR of carrying in general, but whatever.

- OS

Just a followup, been toting the Hellcat in the Alabama Holster for a few weeks now, love it. Little things make a big diff with pocket carry, and with the extra rounds, it first felt rather heavy compared to the Kahr, but that feeling went away purt quick. And the pinky extension added an unacceptable degree of difficulty for quick deployment (so did same for the Kahr), so using with 11 round flush mag, with another one in another pocket.

This thing really shoots like a bigger heater too. Snap/recoil not objectionable at all.  The HC's trigger release/reset is great, much more conducive to accuracy than the Kahr's trigger, which while smooth, even with lots of practice you just could never feel exactly when the thing was gonna go bang, and it has a very long essentially zero-tactile reset.

- OS

• Like 6