Maverick 88 12 gauge..yay or nay?

Not in the least. The safety on the maverick sucks, but in my opinion the safety on the 500 sucks & at least the 88 can't skin your thumb! 

They're both solid, workhorse shotguns. They rattle for a reason & the reason is good. You can't get one wet, dirty or cold enough to seize it up. I have an 88 for pigs in areas that centerfire isn't allowed & mostly home defense. It's got an ATI adjustable stock & a cheap red dot & with slugs & #4 buck, it's more than accurate enough out to 50yds.

• Like 3

I have a Maverick 88 defense and a 590. I like the Model 88 just about as well as the 590. And the Maverick 88 cost half as much. Academy gets the Maverick 88 Defense model in fairly often for about $199.

• Like 1

My first 12g was a Maverick 88 defense model with 18.5" barrel. Bought it used but I don't think it had ever been shot. When I got into Sport Clays I picked up a used 26" barrel. Used it as my only 12g for several years till I found a deal too good to pass up on a 500 with nice wood, I think 28" barrel. The Maverick is now exclusively my home defense shotgun unless a group of friends go with me to shoot clays and I need a loaner, then I put the long barrel back on. Shot a lot of clays and squirrels with the 88.

The 500 is a better quality gun but the 88 does what it is supposed to do and I have recommended it to several friends. If it is a toss up, pick the safety you like better or what you can afford. Most all 500 accessories are interchangeable with the 88.

• Like 1

I have the Mossberg 500 in 12 Ga, and it is a very nice shotgun, for an affordable shotgun. Had the 500 in 20 Ga 18 1/2" brl  also, but purchased a 24" brl and a set of screw in chokes, new from Mossberg, and gave it to my 12 Y O  grandson as he is a hunter now, and he and his dad go all the time in S Carolina. I have checked out the Mavericks and like it fine, and see nothing wrong with them. Could have purchased the Maverick for $199.00 and went ahead and paid $325. for the 20 Ga instead. IMO, Mossberg is a little better quality. Both are adequate shotguns and will do the job needed. 

This is just like purchasing a Taurus(Maverick) or Smith Wesson(Mossberg) revolver. Can't make the Taurus a Smith. Can really see the difference when it comes time to sell either of them. My father always said, "It cost a little more, at the time, but will pay dividends later," both in pride of ownership and value down the road, so I had the extra money and decided to take Pappy's advice. Have never been disappointed in his advice. 

However to answer the question, the Maverick will do what it supposed to do and most likely just as good as the more expensive one. Choices! "My" preference, I bought the Mossey. Happy, Happy, Happy and 10 years later don't even miss the $125.00 dollars difference I shelled out initially. 

Edited to add; Protongunner, ask yourself this question, if a Mossy 500 and a Maverick were both sitting on a shelf, and both were priced 200.00 dollars each, which one would you walk off with?  Good question! 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1

I haven't put a large number of rounds thru my maverick but it has been reliable for it's intended use.  If someone is foolish enough to break into my home it would likely be their last mistake.  I'd like to find a used 870but the maverick accomplishes its tasks well.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Sure it will do the job you intend for it to do. My hands and wrist are too old to handle the pistol grip any longer. Can do it, but it hurts later. Can not beat a good pump with extended mag for home defense if you are not in an apartment building. Will penetrate most walls. I load mine with OO buck and Slugs. 

Edited to add; IMO, leave the bird shot for the birds. 

Edited by pop pop

A friend has the same gun, brought it out to my place and we both shot some normal clay loads and it was ok to handle. He then wonder about magnum loads so I grabbed a couple from my stash and he tried them. He said never again. Last we talked about it he had put a full stock on it. Never tried buck or slugs in it as far as I know.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tnhawk said:

I shot a few off the mini shells.  They fed without any issue but I have read that some are having problems with them.  I plan to use regular 12 gauge buckshot in the future.

I will definitely have to test the mini shells out on this particular shotgun for feeding reliability. I have used them in the past i conjunction with the opsol mini clip with other Mossberg 500 series with no issues s. I know they will not work and my 870 for sure.

Edited by Protongunner
Typo

I can point to it, but there is an adapter that make the Maverick and 500 feed the mini shells. It is easy to install and fairly cheap. As I recall you have to take it out to feed full size shells.

• Like 2

Guess you already knew about them. Thanks for the pointer. A friend really wants Maverick 88 in 20g, so his wife could handle it, but they seemed to be unobtainable in the present market so I think he will end up with on in 12g. I told him about the mini shells as an option so he may be in the market for a opsol mini clip.

• 1 year later...