Personal Ammo Supply In The Future

None of us know what the future is for ammo availability and price.  But, with what you know now, do you plan on changing the way you buy or keep ammo on hand?  I am not talking about hoarding or for resale but just for your own personal use.

Nope; I keep a reserve of ammo and spare mags for each of my prime weapons that remain untouched.

As an aside, folks laughed at me when I bought a bunch of 9mm and .223 Hornady Zombie rounds, but when I got them, they were less than the traditional V-Max. The green tip doesn't bother me at all.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, A516 said:

None of us know what the future is for ammo availability and price.  But, with what you know now, do you plan on changing the way you buy or keep ammo on hand?  I am not talking about hoarding or for resale but just for your own personal use.

500 rounds per caliber of good defensive ammo.  One thousand rounds of " hardball " for each carry caliber... About 5 reliable mags for each semiauto... About 250-300 rounds of buck... All the reloading components i can afford ta buy for calibers used...  Lookin at a Palmetto State AK of some flavor...

scavengin leroy, the armed hermit...

Edited by leroy
  • Like 1

After enduring several shortages of ammunition, I began a practice of purchasing additional ammo each time I went to the range.  At current prices and availability that no longer is possible.

• Like 3

I do wish I had bought more back when it was dirt cheap. Going forward, I'll do a better job about buying more consistently. I'm glad I consolidated calibers a while back. I would like to ditch .380 someday but my wife likes her little Sig. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I really regret not buying more 9mm. Got caught with my pants down on that one. I’ve got less than 5k on hand and would prefer double that. Same goes for .308 of which I’ve only got around 1k. At least I have my 10k+ of 223/556 and .22. 

• Like 1

I’m good. I have a safe full of loaded mags .223, .300BO, .308, .22, 9mm, .357 and ammo cans stacked deep elsewhere. I only have a reasonable amount of .45, because I no longer carry the caliber.  It’s for my purdy 1911’s that rarely see the light of day.  I plan to start burning off a lot of .22 now until things settle down. 

• Like 4

I was moving what small amout of ammo I had to a small island and the boat flipped over, all lost. Any one know where I can buy some cheap ammo, say $0.10 to $0.15 a round?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
53 minutes ago, RED333 said:

Any one know where I can buy some cheap ammo, say $0.10 to $0.15 a round?

Post a Wanted ad in the gear classification. There seems to be a person [or persons] who knows someone in Texas who can get you anything you want if you pay up front with a gift card.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, RED333 said:

I was moving what small amout of ammo I had to a small island and the boat flipped over, all lost. Any one know where I can buy some cheap ammo, say $0.10 to $0.15 a round?

You need to rent some scuba equipment. 👍

• Haha 2
10 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I do wish I had bought more back when it was dirt cheap. Going forward, I'll do a better job about buying more consistently. I'm glad I consolidated calibers a while back. I would like to ditch .380 someday but my wife likes her little Sig. 

Check out  Federal Personal Defense Hydra-Shok Deep in .380.  Brand new, extremely hard to find though I did score 80 rounds from SGAmmo.  The only .380 ammo that exceeds the FBI's 12-inch penetration test.  This ammo will give new viability to the .380 caliber.