M1A Sage EBR

Just wondering if anyone knows of any sites or places I can keep an eye on to grab one of these. Gunbroker is ok, but for some reason people seem to over price their rifles there (guessing because of the pandemic). Armslist is a joke now as well, and here, well I like it, but these aren't exactly common rifles, and I don't think a single one has shown up here for sale (using search). So anyone got an idea of other places besides gunbroker to keep an eye out on?

PS, I'd rather buy than build one (cheaper in the long run to just buy used). 

PSS...mods if this isn't the right forum, I apologize, and you can move this where ever is correct.

• Like 1

Good luck.  Guys that buy these tend to keep them.  My M1A was built up by the Alabama National Guard Marksmanship Unit.  Glass bedded with all the right parts.  It will shoot way better than me.  Should let it go as I never shoot it but just can’t.  

Are you talking about getting a regular M1A or are you specifically looking for one already customized with the Sage International combat stock? 

New Springfields in all versions are out there. However, a used Springer M1A is kinda hard to find as those who have 'em, tend to keep 'em.  I've bought 2 used Springers, but that was just dumb luck. Just happened to be in the right place at the right time. But like everything else, prices are way up.

People who build rifles using Sage stocks also tend to go all out on other custom and accuracy work. They ain't cheap and they don't get sold. I don't believe I've ever seen a Sage stocked rifle for sale. The smart option would be to put the rifle back in a regular stock and sell the two separately.  That Sage stock is close to $1000 by itself.  I think if you go looking for a used Sage Custom, you'd have better luck finding unicorns. 

Another thing to consider if you're looking into M1As is that even before the current shortage, the supply of cheap Mil-surp 7.62X51 ammo was already starting to dry up. It ain't like it used to be. 

I love the M1A. Its my personal choice in a MBR. But these days they ain't cheap to buy or shoot. 🙄

pypBTP1.jpg

Nope, not for sale. 😉

• Like 1
On 5/7/2021 at 5:34 PM, Beltfed said:

Good luck.  Guys that buy these tend to keep them.  My M1A was built up by the Alabama National Guard Marksmanship Unit.  Glass bedded with all the right parts.  It will shoot way better than me.  Should let it go as I never shoot it but just can’t.  

I must be missing something there are a good number of them on GunBroker. Is that not normal?

On 5/7/2021 at 6:30 PM, Grayfox54 said:

Are you talking about getting a regular M1A or are you specifically looking for one already customized with the Sage International combat stock? 

New Springfields in all versions are out there. However, a used Springer M1A is kinda hard to find as those who have 'em, tend to keep 'em.  I've bought 2 used Springers, but that was just dumb luck. Just happened to be in the right place at the right time. But like everything else, prices are way up.

People who build rifles using Sage stocks also tend to go all out on other custom and accuracy work. They ain't cheap and they don't get sold. I don't believe I've ever seen a Sage stocked rifle for sale. The smart option would be to put the rifle back in a regular stock and sell the two separately.  That Sage stock is close to $1000 by itself.  I think if you go looking for a used Sage Custom, you'd have better luck finding unicorns. 

Another thing to consider if you're looking into M1As is that even before the current shortage, the supply of cheap Mil-surp 7.62X51 ammo was already starting to dry up. It ain't like it used to be. 

I love the M1A. Its my personal choice in a MBR. But these days they ain't cheap to buy or shoot. 🙄

pypBTP1.jpg

Nope, not for sale. 😉

Talking about an m1a with the sage chassis already installed. Right now there are 5 on GunBroker and quite a few on Armslist (but not touching that place). Are you talking about a different rifle than I am? I'm looking at around 2.5/3k for one in .308 

21 minutes ago, SupraMario said:

Talking about an m1a with the sage chassis already installed. Right now there are 5 on GunBroker and quite a few on Armslist (but not touching that place). Are you talking about a different rifle than I am? I'm looking at around 2.5/3k for one in .308 

Interesting. I stand corrected. But then I haven't  been  specifically looking for one either.  Honestly, I prefer the standard stocks. 

That price does sound about right. Them things ain't cheap. Good luck in your search. 👍

• Like 1

My experience with Sage has been very good.  Installed 3 of em and all shot very well.  They feel good but are heavy. The op rod block is not that bigga deal, just enhanced placement of your tongue and patience.  Keep in mind they not cheap but you might save a little by doing the install yourself.  Like said before, $2500 to 3000 is about right for already done. 

You can also try the PX at M14Forum.  Those guys are very willing to help.  The old guys that helped me when i needed to learn are gone now but their old threads still keep on sharing knowledge.  Best deal i found on the EBRs and Mod1s is at Clyde Armory in Athens GA.

Smoky 

On 5/7/2021 at 6:34 PM, Beltfed said:

LMAO!

We need to startup an Obit section on TGO so we all know when to start pimping the widow for her plans for the collection!

19 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Interesting. I stand corrected. But then I haven't  been  specifically looking for one either.  Honestly, I prefer the standard stocks. 

That price does sound about right. Them things ain't cheap. Good luck in your search. 👍

Thanks, it seems the stuff that wasn't cheap before the surge hasn't really gotten more expensive. Even before the pandemic this was the going price, so it's good that they haven't jumped really.

8 hours ago, SmokyBaer said:

My experience with Sage has been very good.  Installed 3 of em and all shot very well.  They feel good but are heavy. The op rod block is not that bigga deal, just enhanced placement of your tongue and patience.  Keep in mind they not cheap but you might save a little by doing the install yourself.  Like said before, $2500 to 3000 is about right for already done. 

You can also try the PX at M14Forum.  Those guys are very willing to help.  The old guys that helped me when i needed to learn are gone now but their old threads still keep on sharing knowledge.  Best deal i found on the EBRs and Mod1s is at Clyde Armory in Athens GA.

Smoky 

Nice, I'll check these places out. I'm not worried about weight lol, my AR10 is a DPMS SASS with a 24" bull barrel, it's a heavy SOB without the ammo lol. This will be more for doing 600+ yards on my range at my farm....that and I have always loved these rifles.

If you want the bestest and mostest in M14 accuracy, my opinion is you will be much better off spending your money on a quality barrel first.  Then time your gas system with shims to get the most bolt dwell.

For the money, Wolfe barrels have Kreiger performance for 100 bucks less.  Their 5R/20 barrels have become very popular.  Regardless whether you do Wolfe, Kreiger or a Medium weight Criterion, they all shoot circles around most Springfields.  At least, if you are looking for 1 MOA or less.

The Sage EBR works by greatly reducing barrel whip with a bolted op rod guide and tightly gripping the receiver like a bedded action.  I like them a lot but, for me, I prefer a more traditional E2 laminate with good draw pressure on the ferrul.  Each to his or her own.

For the kind of money you're about to spend, you'll want it capable to blast apples at 500 yards.  🤠👍

Edited by SmokyBaer
  • Like 2
16 hours ago, SmokyBaer said:

If you want the bestest and mostest in M14 accuracy, my opinion is you will be much better off spending your money on a quality barrel first.  Then time your gas system with shims to get the most bolt dwell.

For the money, Wolfe barrels have Kreiger performance for 100 bucks less.  Their 5R/20 barrels have become very popular.  Regardless whether you do Wolfe, Kreiger or a Medium weight Criterion, they all shoot circles around most Springfields.  At least, if you are looking for 1 MOA or less.

The Sage EBR works by greatly reducing barrel whip with a bolted op rod guide and tightly gripping the receiver like a bedded action.  I like them a lot but, for me, I prefer a more traditional E2 laminate with good draw pressure on the ferrul.  Each to his or her own.

For the kind of money you're about to spend, you'll want it capable to blast apples at 500 yards.  🤠👍

Seems most of the ones people have the sage installed on, are Medium weight Nation Match barrels, which seem stock. I'll probably just shoot it with that for a while to get used to the rifle, then upgrade the barrel.

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

WOW! Talk about fancy. Congratulations. I hope it shoots as good as it looks. 👍

Lol me too, I got my range cut down for 200 yards, need to get the chainsaw out now to get it out to the 500 yards I want it at. Then gotta build a overhang and probably a tall deck so I can have a good shooting angle for the 500 yards. 

VERY nice!  
Navy seal grey is a hard color to come across too. 

One note tho... 
Not a biggie because nothing is hurt.  Typical crash point when folks put scope mounts on without using the Sage modified handguard.  Look at the very end of the mount where it is riding on top of the handguard.  That interference is why the whole mount is riding uphill.  The mount is not and cannot be secured into the receiver grooves properly like that.  Needs to be modified.

Several choices: 
- mill/file down the first four rungs of the handguard pic rail to clear.
- mill/file the bottom of scope mount to clear pic rail rungs.
- Order Sage handguard for scope mounts that comes from factory.
- Buy a taller or shorter mount that clears the handguard.
- Find a detachable Sage cantilever sight base.

Hope that helps.
Smoky 🤠

EBR scope mount crash.JPG

• Like 2
3 hours ago, SmokyBaer said:

VERY nice!  
Navy seal grey is a hard color to come across too. 

One note tho... 
Not a biggie because nothing is hurt.  Typical crash point when folks put scope mounts on without using the Sage modified handguard.  Look at the very end of the mount where it is riding on top of the handguard.  That interference is why the whole mount is riding uphill.  The mount is not and cannot be secured into the receiver grooves properly like that.  Needs to be modified.

Several choices: 
- mill/file down the first four rungs of the handguard pic rail to clear.
- mill/file the bottom of scope mount to clear pic rail rungs.
- Order Sage handguard for scope mounts that comes from factory.
- Buy a taller or shorter mount that clears the handguard.
- Find a detachable Sage cantilever sight base.

Hope that helps.
Smoky 🤠

EBR scope mount crash.JPG

Yeah I noticed this, thanks for the tips on how to get it flat. I think I'm going to be running irons on it for a while, as I really enjoy shooting with just iron sights. Once I do think about doing a scope I'll take your tips to get it all done properly. 

• 2 weeks later...

So finally got it in. It looks great, only thing I noticed was the cheek riser release arm doesn't allow for the cheek riser to telescope. I've gotta push the tiny pin in with a punch to release the spring and let it drop. I don't know if this is normal or not but it seems like something is loose or installed wrong.

Wish i knew more about the Mod-0 configuration so could help.  All of my past EBR experience was running Mod-1 CV models.  However, looking at the Mod-0 pic below, it does look like it has a push pin to raise and lower.  Cannot imagine it being rattly loose though.

For reference, i also put in a pic of my last two EBRs from years ago.  That style buttstock was rock solid for me when i started so i stuck with Mod-1.  No help there for you on your Mod-0 but just showing the options in case you wanted to jump.

EBR Mod0 stock.JPG

EBR Mod1s dotted and scoped.jpeg

Edited by SmokyBaer
4 hours ago, SmokyBaer said:

Wish i knew more about the Mod-0 configuration so could help.  All of my past EBR experience was running Mod-1 CV models.  However, looking at the Mod-0 pic below, it does look like it has a push pin to raise and lower.  Cannot imagine it being rattly loose though.

For reference, i also put in a pic of my last two EBRs from years ago.  That style buttstock was rock solid for me when i started so i stuck with Mod-1.  No help there for you on your Mod-0 but just showing the options in case you wanted to jump.

EBR Mod0 stock.JPG

EBR Mod1s dotted and scoped.jpeg

I really like the Mod0 stock, so will be sticking with it.

So see that lever right next to the rubber butt, it lifts up and is supposed to release that pin, so you can telescope it up and down. Lifting it, doesn't release that pin 😕 

• 2 weeks later...

Shot it a good bit this weekend....and wow... holy hell is this a nice rifle. I'm getting better, but this thing can sure as hell outshoot me. The iron sights on this are just awesome. My range is only about 220ish yards right now, but the sight adjustment on this is magnificent. I was able to ring steel at the 200 yard mark pretty regularly. Now hopefully ammo will come down, because I am probably going to smoke through the 4k rounds of .308 I have left lol

• Like 1