BATF notice of proposed rule

So I am confused, (which is what I think is what they want with this). On page 21 it says "However, nothing in this rule would restrict persons not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms from making their own firearms at home without markings solely for personal use (not for sale or distribution) in accordance with Federal, State, and local law." then on page 44 it says this "For PMFs acquired by licensees before the effective date of the rule, licensees would be required to mark or cause them to be marked by another licensee either within 60 days from that date, or before the date of final disposition (including to a personal collection), whichever is sooner."

Doesn't one contradict the other?

29 minutes ago, tmauto769 said:

Doesn't one contradict the other?

No, but your confusion is understandable. The first part of your quote simply says that you or I may manufacture a firearm at home, as we always have been able to do. If you're a machinist it's a reasonable undertaking to build a lower receiver and that would not require a S/N.  

The second part of your quote is directed at FFL holders.  If the licensee (gun shop owner) has lower receiver kits in-stock that he obtained before the rule takes effect, he'll have to add a serial number.  In addition (as I understand what I read) If you own a pawn shop and I bring in a rifle I manufactured at home to sell to you, then you would be required to give that rifle a unique S/N. I believe that second part is already the law as any FFL holder must run a background check on a buyer and that includes make, model, and S/N of the arm being transferred.

It looks to me that another requirement will fall on companies like Polymer 80, who will no longer be able to sell a kit without a serial number and an associated background check. I think that would effectively drive Polymer 80 and similar companies out of business. Few of us are really capable of machining a lower receiver from billet at home. 

Personally I think it's all a bunch of bogus lawmaking aimed at addressing a non-problem.

13 minutes ago, Darrell said:

No, but your confusion is understandable. The first part of your quote simply says that you or I may manufacture a firearm at home, as we always have been able to do. If you're a machinist it's a reasonable undertaking to build a lower receiver and that would not require a S/N.  

The second part of your quote is directed at FFL holders.  If the licensee (gun shop owner) has lower receiver kits in-stock that he obtained before the rule takes effect, he'll have to add a serial number.  In addition (as I understand what I read) If you own a pawn shop and I bring in a rifle I manufactured at home to sell to you, then you would be required to give that rifle a unique S/N. I believe that second part is already the law as any FFL holder must run a background check on a buyer and that includes make, model, and S/N of the arm being transferred.

It looks to me that another requirement will fall on companies like Polymer 80, who will no longer be able to sell a kit without a serial number and an associated background check. I think that would effectively drive Polymer 80 and similar companies out of business. Few of us are really capable of machining a lower receiver from billet at home. 

Personally I think it's all a bunch of bogus lawmaking aimed at addressing a non-problem.

ah, thanks, I glossed right over the "licensee" part.

18 hours ago, Darrell said:

The entire government is doing exactly that right now. They are like crab lice. They exist to make more crab lice.

• Like 4
  • Moderators
6 minutes ago, FJCrusing said:

So would a Sig Grip Module per say require a S/N under those rules!?  That's insanity if so.  Like the mention above, trying to fix a problem that does not exist.

Yes. The grip module, the FCG chassis, and the slide could all feasibly be declared as frame/receivers requiring a serial number. 

• Angry 1

I’d love to see some of these states that are passing laws that are designed to “protect” the 2A from the feds welcome companies that build parts, receivers, etc. If all these restrictions go into place, then allow them to continue production, sell, protect them and thumb their nose at the BATF. Poke them in the eye! Let the states flaunt their power in the face of the Feds! 

We all know it ain't gonna happen, but wouldn’t it be something to see the states tell the Fed to come and take ‘em. If the current trend is not stopped the Fed won’t stop until they are all illegal.

Edited by Wingshooter
  • Like 1
37 minutes ago, Wingshooter said:

I’d love to see some of these states that are passing laws that are designed to “protect” the 2A from the feds welcome companies that build parts, receivers, etc. If all these restrictions go into place, then allow them to continue production, sell, protect them and thumb their nose at the BATF. Poke them in the eye! Let the states flaunt their power in the face of the Feds! 

We all know it ain't gonna happen, but wouldn’t it be something to see the states tell the Fed to come and take ‘em. If the current trend is not stopped the Fed won’t stop until they are all illegal.

I’d like to see some of these states, counties, or any other jurisdictions passing 2A sanctuary feel good resolutions and laws actually stand behind their citizens that might run afoul of current and future ATF regulations.

That’s not going to happen either.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

And then the 3rd little pig was prosecuted to the fullest extent that federal regulations allow, left penniless and incarcerated for violating the civil rights of the Wolf.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Garufa said:

And then the 3rd little pig was prosecuted to the fullest extent that federal regulations allow, left penniless and incarcerated for violating the civil rights of the Wolf.

Did I mention it was a middleastern pig with mental issues that just needs help 😪...😁